[VIDEO] An incredibly painful reminder why religion and superstition still exist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2012, 08:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2012 09:18 AM by lightninlives.)
[VIDEO] An incredibly painful reminder why religion and superstition still exist
http://theunconverted.com/why-religion-a...n-persist/

It hit me like a slap in the face when I got the call earlier today.

Made a video to express my thoughts and emotions and would love to get everyone's thoughts on this even though the wounds are still fresh:

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
07-09-2012, 09:10 PM
RE: An incredibly painful reminder why religion and superstition still exist
So sorry for your loss Sad

I just lost a relative quite recently, and I share your thoughts. The first death I experienced was a painful one. Still religious, I had a false sense of hope that there is an afterlife where the dead can play and relax. Now, although it hurts me even more after understanding that the afterlife is just a human construct for comfort, I realised that the dead can live on in one place - memories.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 3 users Like robotworld's post
07-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Yup, there are times when it simply wrong to take the blanket away.

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
07-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Good perspective guys. And I like that phrasing..."there are times when it is simply wrong to take the blanket away"

I am the unconverted
08-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Lightninlives,
I'm sorry to hear about your friend's son. And that was a well-written post that you linked.

I agree that it's best not to argue religion with his parents anymore. I feel the same regarding my own parents. They are both in their 80's now and the near end of their lives must be on their minds. I see no point in trying to take away something that they have believed in for all their lives and which may provide comfort at this time in their lives. So I do my best to avoid discussions about religion with them or to end discussions as quickly as possible when they initiate them.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
08-09-2012, 11:50 AM
DLJ is right...this man's life has been rocked enough right now. It just isn't the moment.

I cannot imagine what it's like to lose a child. I only know how it felt and still feels that a dear friend of on my kids was murdered. It's going on two years and my heart still aches over it. Most of that family was/is quite religious...it was just a time to be there for them in anything they needed. My daughter can only make it through the day, still, by thinking her friend has moved on to a heaven-like place...I can't take that from her either.

Be a friend, be an ear. Ask what they need...mow their lawn. Offer to transport people to and or from the airport.

The talk can happen later, or not.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

“Stab the body and it heals, but injure the heart and the wound lasts a lifetime.”
― Mineko Iwasaki
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
08-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Condolences to your friend. I agree with previous posters when they say that it isn't the time.

Fortunately we, in the end, are responsible for our own thoughts and ideas (and truths) on the concept of God. I have come to the realization that I will probably never de-convert someone. My Atheism is now strictly the occasional Facebook post, writing on here, and talking to people who come to me to talk about it. I have lost a few friends because I believe differently than they do. Some may say that I need new friends (and in some aspects I probably do) but I like my friends and want to keep the ones I have left.

Live and let be unless your life or the continuation of someone else's life depends on it. That includes the progression of science, reason, and knowledge and ending discrimination, prejudice, and hate.

Give to every human being every right that you claim for yourself. - Robert Ingersoll
[Image: jVZNc.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes TheDoctorPhil's post
09-09-2012, 01:54 AM
So sorry for your loss.

19 is too young.

There was a time when at 19 then half of your life was over. And during the dark ages more than half the kids died
before 4 years old.

Modern medicine and science have allowed us the privilege of saying 19 is too young.

If we can come to terms with reality, then may our future children say things like "70s years old is too young."

A good article, and it to me is why religion persist today. It's a coping mechanism. I don't want it to be true but if we can face it then the future then it will be easier for those who inherit the earth.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist Chiefs fan!'s post
09-09-2012, 04:41 AM
Dam man. You didn't hit the nail on the head. You shot it with a sniper rifle from a mile away.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
11-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks for all of the words of encouragement guys. It really means a lot. I'll be attending the memorial services later this week. It's going to be really intense.

I turned the post into a video. Let me know what you guys think:

I am the unconverted