Vaccines: Science VS Superstition

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Vaccines: Science VS Superstition

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Hughsie's post
10-04-2013, 01:24 PM
RE: Vaccines: Science VS Superstition
http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Stop_ki...s/?cHVyIbb

While I am generally opposed to censorship, this book is particularly pernicious and is persuading gullible parents to play russian roulette with the lives of their children and of everyone with whom their children come into contact.

"Heresy makes for progress" - Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner
[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin
23-04-2013, 08:06 PM
I don't see much resistance to vaccines for travel, or vaccines for 'new' things (like the upcoming Alzheimer's- yes!) but people in the parenting communities tear each other apart over vaccinating children over 'past' diseases (now referred to as childhood vaccinations). There have been many arguments from "they put harmful ingredients" to the herd mentality (my child doesn't need it if everyone else has it).

Curious where TTAers are at with this.

I've been on both sides, I've wanted to say no when my kids were babies because the minute you mention you've made an appointment the fear mongering starts. When my emotions are out of it, I lean pro vaccine.

Thoughts?
23-04-2013, 08:13 PM
My 13 year old is on spectrum so this subject is a huge button issue for me.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

23-04-2013, 08:24 PM
(23-04-2013 08:13 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My 13 year old is on spectrum so this subject is a huge button issue for me.

Totally understand.

I am curious where the truth lies and would want the best for anybody, especially when it's something that is supposed to help and protect. It's an important discussion.
23-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Vaccines are not 100% safe, though they are much safer than the diseases they prevent. I would hate to be the parent that has their children get a vaccine and the child suffers damage from it. I'd also hate to be the parent who does not vaccinate their child and the child dies or is handicapped by the disease that could have been prevented by the vaccine.
I am very much pro-vaccines, but I can see why, after cutting away all of the fear mongering bullshit spread on the internet and in the media about vaccines parents would still be concerned.

I have no children, but my sister's kidneys were damaged by a improperly stored vaccine that was administered to her at hospital, and to this day my mother is deeply suspicious of the medical community and of vaccines.
When I was helping out at a Tae Kwan Do studio we had an outbreak of whooping cough, or pertussis, due to the low herd immunity in our area. Many kids got sick, but to my knowledge no one died, fortunately.

I have no problem with parents who make a well informed decision about vaccines, choosing not to have their children get them.
Well, I say not problem, I do. But I can understand it.
However, there is so much fear mongering going on right now, that the herd immunity has dropped so that diseases which we shouldn't see are returning. That I do have a problem with.
And these people who have been mislead by quacks and frauds make me sad for them and their children, and angry at those who fooled them.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
23-04-2013, 09:24 PM
(23-04-2013 08:24 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(23-04-2013 08:13 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My 13 year old is on spectrum so this subject is a huge button issue for me.

Totally understand.

I am curious where the truth lies and would want the best for anybody, especially when it's something that is supposed to help and protect. It's an important discussion.

I've just had too many people ask me or assume that his autism is a result of vaccines. It just aggravates me -- because it had nothing to do with it. I wish I could blame it on that.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

23-04-2013, 09:42 PM
(23-04-2013 09:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(23-04-2013 08:24 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Totally understand.

I've just had too many people ask me or assume that his autism is a result of vaccines. It just aggravates me -- because it had nothing to do with it. I wish I could blame it on that.

Yeah, that wouldn't be me. That's not something I worry about at all or even correlate.
24-04-2013, 07:44 AM
(23-04-2013 09:08 PM)KeenIdiot Wrote:  Vaccines are not 100% safe, though they are much safer than the diseases they prevent. I would hate to be the parent that has their children get a vaccine and the child suffers damage from it. I'd also hate to be the parent who does not vaccinate their child and the child dies or is handicapped by the disease that could have been prevented by the vaccine.
I am very much pro-vaccines, but I can see why, after cutting away all of the fear mongering bullshit spread on the internet and in the media about vaccines parents would still be concerned.

I have no children, but my sister's kidneys were damaged by a improperly stored vaccine that was administered to her at hospital, and to this day my mother is deeply suspicious of the medical community and of vaccines.
When I was helping out at a Tae Kwan Do studio we had an outbreak of whooping cough, or pertussis, due to the low herd immunity in our area. Many kids got sick, but to my knowledge no one died, fortunately.

I have no problem with parents who make a well informed decision about vaccines, choosing not to have their children get them.
Well, I say not problem, I do. But I can understand it.
However, there is so much fear mongering going on right now, that the herd immunity has dropped so that diseases which we shouldn't see are returning. That I do have a problem with.
And these people who have been mislead by quacks and frauds make me sad for them and their children, and angry at those who fooled them.

A well-informed decision is pro-vaccine. There is no other well-informed decision.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-04-2013, 07:52 AM
That girl is extra cute. I hadda watch her vids a coupla times. Big Grin

Which is the only appropriate perspective on this issue. Thumbsup

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user