Vague, Meaningless Title

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2012, 02:40 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2012 05:47 AM by kpax.)
Wink Vague, Meaningless Title
Looking for some input....

Me and my 12 year old daughter were watching a science show about evolution. Me, being an atheist, and me not telling her yet, decided to test the waters a little, again. I quickly explained to her the differences between the Christian view of how we got here and the show we were about to watch and why the two views conflict.

At the end I asked her "so what do you think? Who do you think is more correct, the Christian view on how we got here or the science show we just watched?"

She said:

"To be honest.....the science show we just watched..."

I was a little shocked. She grew up going to church and singing in church. On the flip side, she's never really talking about God and she is a science lover.

I am just tip toeing around and testing the waters on when/how to tell her. I'm not really sure how to do it or even when. She seems like she would be open about it and who knows...maybe she is an atheist, too?

My main concern is not influencing her opinion on Christianity. I wouldn't want her to be an atheist just because I am. I would want her to reach her own conclusions.

I'm also scared to shock her, as she knew that I was a big believer in God. So I'm just not sure if it's too early to tell her or maybe I should wait when she's older? Or maybe I should tell her because she will probably hear it through family since i just came out to them a couple weeks ago. Or? I'm confused on what to do!

What do you guys think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like kpax's post
06-12-2012, 02:55 AM
RE: What are your thoughts on this?
It is a hard question. I truly al glad she is rational and hope she can view more stands rather than just atheism and Christianity. Currently she has an open mundane although she went to church I hope she still can question and look into other faiths as well as lack of faith to find what she wants in her life. She doesn't seem to have these beliefs cemented which is good and I believe rather than telling her your an atheist show her plenty of other views and let her come to her own conclusion. You should tell her your an atheist but I would also fear anything from other children if she expressed that view. You should tell her some views are ok while others can be harmful and full of lies. I don't know when you should discuss this with your daughter but it is up to you to decide when she can decide for herself in what she truly wants.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
06-12-2012, 02:55 AM
(06-12-2012 02:40 AM)kpax Wrote:  Me and my 12 year old daughter were watching a science show about evolution. Me, being an atheist, and me not telling her yet, decided to test the waters a little, again. I quickly explained to her the differences between the Christian view of how we got here and the show we were about to watch and why the two views conflict.

At the end I asked her "so what do you think? Who do you think is more correct, the Christian view on how we got here or the science show we just watched?"

She said:

"To be honest.....the science show we just watched..."

I was a little shocked. She grew up going to church and singing in church. On the flip side, she's never really talking about God and she is a science lover.

I am just tip toeing around and testing the waters on when/how to tell her. I'm not really sure how to do it or even when. She seems like she would be open about it and who knows...maybe she is an atheist, too?

My main concern is not influencing her opinion on Christianity. I wouldn't want her to be an atheist just because I am. I would want her to reach her own conclusions.

I'm also scared to shock her, as she knew that I was a big believer in God. So I'm just not sure if it's too early to tell her or maybe I should wait when she's older? Or maybe I should tell her because she will probably hear it through family since i just came out to them a couple weeks ago. Or? I'm confused on what to do!

What do you guys think?
Holy smoke batman! Just tell her the truth! There's nothing better, more pure or real than truth! Do you think she ain't already worked out that mum makes mistakes?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
06-12-2012, 03:02 AM
Don't you think it would be much, much, MUCH better for the two of you to sit down, share your viewpoint, let her ask questions, let her find out for herself that you are NOT an evil, baby-eating, Hitler-loving atheist, than the alternative: your Christian family tells her that you are all those things and worse and wraps that up with a double-helping of indoctrination and re-affirmation of her faith. She could end up being pushed deeper INTO your family's faith and they could use your "hatred of Jesus" (it's what they'll claim) as the tool to push her there.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
06-12-2012, 03:04 AM
On a side note, for crying out loud, is it too frickin hard to put something meaningful in the title so we can tell before opening a thread whether we want to participate or not?

These vague, meaningless titles drive me NUTS!

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
06-12-2012, 03:13 AM
What are your thoughts on this?
I've never been a parent, so this may be a naive answer, but I can't figure out what would keep a parent from having an honest discussion with their child. You wouldn't let her continue believing there are fairies in the garden would you. I'm sure you must have disabused her of the notion that Santa Claus is real. You're the parent. She's the child. Isn't it that simple?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
06-12-2012, 04:40 AM
(06-12-2012 03:04 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  These vague, meaningless titles drive me NUTS!
Welcome to the Internet. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
06-12-2012, 11:13 AM
RE: Vague, Meaningless Title
Not all Christians are YECs.

Dodgy

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
06-12-2012, 11:34 AM
PAXY, you're my new hero. Heart

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
06-12-2012, 11:42 AM
You're taking it slow so far, and the results you're getting even with the science show seems she would be able to handle it. How big of a discussion do you feel you need to have with your daughter?

I really hope things go well. Smile

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]