Vague, Meaningless Title

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2012, 08:02 PM
RE: Vague, Meaningless Title
(06-12-2012 07:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-12-2012 07:47 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Pretty sure you're hearing voices, Bob.

Maybe so, but if so, I blame these damn earmuffs, wasn't told they came with builtin radio receivers when I bought them.

(06-12-2012 07:54 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  He does that around this time of night.

And yet, kpax still might find my response of use nonetheless. ... Fuckers.
Emphasis upon nonetheless. Laughat

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
06-12-2012, 09:06 PM
My son is older, 18, but a couple years ago, he told me that he didn't believe in god. Maybe longer. I didn't say anything to him about it. I was already fairly atheist by that time. I didn't care if my kids were religious or not, I would worry they'd get involved with some YEC and call me a sinner for taking them to see Santa when they were little. Or getting involved in a cult or something. I grew up in the San Francisco area and actually knew people who went to the People's Temple!

But I had no fear about it. What did worry me was that I would influence his decision or push him into it, to please me or something weird like that. What if I made a mistake?

In the end after a long talk (tonight in fact) he said he totally arrived at atheism on his own, based on his own thoughts. He said he did a report in school in 9th grade or something on the Dead Sea Scrolls. He said that was the beginning for him. While he didn't start at the same place I was at, he did arrive at the same conclusion.

He also said I was his go-to person whenever he wanted to know something religious. Because he said if I didnt know the answer I'd find it and would be totally honest about it. He said he liked the fact I never once bs'd him or outrightly dismissed anything he asked as being stupid.

That really really helped to make me feel better....just wish it hadnt taken so long to have that talk, but I'm glad we finally did.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-12-2012, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2012 09:35 PM by GirlyMan.)
(06-12-2012 09:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  But I had no fear about it. What did worry me was that I would influence his decision or push him into it, to please me or something weird like that. What if I made a mistake?

In the end after a long talk (tonight in fact) he said he totally arrived at atheism on his own, based on his own thoughts.

He said he did a report in school in 9th grade or something on the Dead Sea Scrolls. He said that was the beginning for him. While he didn't start at the same place I was at, he did arrive at the same conclusion.

And all is right with the world.

(06-12-2012 09:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  He also said I was his go-to person whenever he wanted to know something religious. Because he said if I didnt know the answer I'd find it and would be totally honest about it. He said he liked the fact I never once bs'd him or outrightly dismissed anything he asked as being stupid.

And all is right with the world.

(06-12-2012 09:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  That really really helped to make me feel better....just wish it hadnt taken so long to have that talk, but I'm glad we finally did.

Still stand by my decision to not have that talk until my children brought it up. Don't see how you can be prepared for nihilism before you're prepared to ask about it.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
06-12-2012, 09:45 PM
(06-12-2012 09:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Still stand by my decision to not have that talk until my children brought it up. Don't see how you can be prepared for nihilism before you're prepared to ask about it.

Of course -- also letting them arrive at all of their own conclusions.
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-12-2012, 10:10 PM
(06-12-2012 09:45 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(06-12-2012 09:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Still stand by my decision to not have that talk until my children brought it up. Don't see how you can be prepared for nihilism before you're prepared to ask about it.

Of course -- also letting them arrive at all of their own conclusions.

Teaching them to be capable of deriving (or inferring as the case may be and knowing the difference) their own conclusions is what I tried to do.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
06-12-2012, 10:21 PM
I haven't read everyone's responses, but I came across this a couple weeks ago and you might find it helpful. Although it is geared for younger kids but maybe you can modify it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgDb_IMoKyQ
He (Dale Mcgowan) also has some other videos on youtube as well as a couple books Raising Free Thinkers and Parenting Beyond Belief
If your daughter likes to read there is a book about creation myths and it's very well done. I'm sure you had find it at your local library. http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Creation...0152387420
06-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Response to OP

Well, I don't have any children, but I think I can help give some advice, but I do not know the whole situation. For example, are you concerned about other family members, or how old she is, without that I'm assuming she is still younger than 10, and I would venture to guess a few years younger that that, and I would also assume you're not worried about what you family feels.

I would tell her now. The longer you wait, the more stigma there is in being something other than Christian (Again, I'm assuming you're from a predominantly Christian area). Maybe explain that you think the bible is wrong about some things, then use examples, such as evolution, then let her know that you don't believe in what it says. From there she may have questions, and I would advise to answer them honestly. I would also allow her to explore religion as SHE wants to (not as others want her to) and then share your beliefs with her about those religions. Good luck!

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post