Validity of Holy Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2011, 03:33 AM
RE: Validity of Holy Books
(04-05-2011 03:36 AM)hotrodmike Wrote:  I'm still waiting for a theist to explain to me how it was God thought the Earth was flat, square, and supported on four great pillars, the sun and the moon were the same size and distance from the Earth, the sky was a solid dome that had water above it, and that rain was caused by opening windows in the dome.

Does the bible actually say that? If so, where?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2011, 04:47 AM
(05-05-2011 03:33 AM)Andy Wrote:  Does the bible actually say that? If so, where?

The contemporary bible doesn't contain this, that's a fact. However, the bible has been altered countless of times. Either to fit with a popular ideology (Aristotle for example) or with the newest scientific discovery (which doesn't work anymore today). You see before Columbus broke through with his round earth concept everyone believed the earth was:
(04-05-2011 03:36 AM)hotrodmike Wrote:  flat, square, and supported on four great pillars, the sun and the moon were the same size and distance from the Earth, the sky was a solid dome that had water above it, and that rain was caused by opening windows in the dome.

We now came to a point where science is developing theories that disprove important parts of the bible such as the story of Adam and Eve or Noah's ark. If they would alter the bible to fit with these discoveries, that would mean they would have to rewrite the whole story with dinosaurs included for example.
So they now pretty much choose for the easy road, believe above science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2011, 02:03 AM
That is not true. Greek scholars knew the world was round for over 2,500 years. 2,500 years ago a Greek mathmetician calculated the circumference of the earth, accurate to a few percentage points (between 1% and 4% error). So most of the bible was written while knowledgable men new the world was round.

On top of that Columbus didn't convince many that the world was round. It was Magellan's voyage that first sailed around the world. He was killed before the voyage ended.

"The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church." - Ferdinand Magellan, 1480 - 1521.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
06-05-2011, 02:17 AM
"He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved. (From the NIV Bible, Psalm 104:5)"

That is just one example of many supplied by http://www.answeringchristiantiy.com. that supplies plenty of quotes from the holy scriptures that make it clear that the writers of the Bible thought the Earth was flat and supported on four pillars and had four corners and so on.

The shape and size of the Earth as well as it's relation to the sun and the moon are just the tip of the iceberg in terms of scientific fallacies in the Bible; anyone who believes that ancient tome has any validity in terms of science or history or geography hasn't done any research into the matter at all. Biblical scholars all over the world make whole careers out of trying to explain away the discrepencies between the Bible and reality.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
08-05-2011, 05:06 PM
I have been reading a book called "The Encyclopedia of Biblical Errancy" - by C. Dennis McKinsey. This book does a good job of listing problems in the Bible and discussing multiple reasons they are errant. The book is an okay read, but would work better as a reference. It does only cover the Bible.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
— Christopher Hitchens