Values of the enlightenment diminishing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2015, 02:16 PM
Values of the enlightenment diminishing?
Ed Miliband came out the other week to say that if he comes into power, Islamophobia will be outlawed. This along with the university campuses of Britain increasingly censoring criticism of religions or even unintentionally criticism, if there is an inkling that a religious person will find content offensive.

There are a shit tonne of other things I get this feeling from. The instant reaction of people after today's attack in Texas for ample. The aim was on the "provocative" behavior of the draw Momo convention. Most people do not understand the aim is not to take the piss out of Muhammad, it's to take the piss out of the idea that one should be KILLED for the action of DRAWING.

So many fucking people come out to defend the killers it's just shocking.

Somebody convince me that this won't happen. A downward spiral is all I see. I already see the connotation of "trouble causers" being attached to atheism, whereas in Britain ever since I was a child religion has held the connotation of "morally good" and "tolerant, peaceful" etc.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2015, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2015 03:09 PM by Szuchow.)
RE: Values of the enlightenment diminishing?
Islamophobia will be outlawed? Or maybe more to the point criticizing Islam will be outlawed? It would be same shit as in Poland where religious feelings (which do not really have definition) are protected by law. So if this really hapen prepare to see some trully weird things - if anyone is interested here is report from Freedom House.

Also atheists being troublemakers, nihilists, Communists isn't nothing new. It's standard tactics of theists.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
04-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Where have you been, under a rock? They ideas were diminishing ~175 years ago.

05-05-2015, 04:04 AM
I didn't know that about Poland.. fuck sake.. why why why? What worries me is that a huuuuuuuuge number of atheists are the ones fighting on the side of blasphemy laws etc. Is the US still a bastion of secular values and such? Do you think any country on earth will remain so?

05-05-2015, 04:31 AM
I do know that the Texas art showcase was funded by a fundamentalist Christian group with an anti-Muslim agenda, so it's not as if they weren't trying to be purposely incendiary. That being said, as far as I know nothing in the gallery had crossed over into hate speech; and even if it had it still would not have been justifiable grounds for murder.

Thanks to a pair of fucked in the head Muslims, I find myself on the side of fundamentalist Christians. Thanks assholes. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
05-05-2015, 05:00 AM
Meh, the labour party have been having gender segregated events. Keeping true to their promises to the Islamic community I see.

05-05-2015, 06:35 AM
(05-05-2015 04:04 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I didn't know that about Poland.. fuck sake.. why why why? What worries me is that a huuuuuuuuge number of atheists are the ones fighting on the side of blasphemy laws etc. Is the US still a bastion of secular values and such? Do you think any country on earth will remain so?

Cause gov apparently like to suck up to clergy and don't quite understand what freedom means. And atheist in Poland are miniority, very small one at that, and not vocal in fighting for secuar country.

As for secular values I think one should look on Scandinavian countries.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
05-05-2015, 06:56 AM
(05-05-2015 06:35 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 04:04 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I didn't know that about Poland.. fuck sake.. why why why? What worries me is that a huuuuuuuuge number of atheists are the ones fighting on the side of blasphemy laws etc. Is the US still a bastion of secular values and such? Do you think any country on earth will remain so?

Cause gov apparently like to suck up to clergy and don't quite understand what freedom means. And atheist in Poland are miniority, very small one at that, and not vocal in fighting for secuar country.

I think it's too late. The great surge for secularism is dying out.. blasphemy laws will become more and more common, atheists will continue to be looked down upon.

05-05-2015, 08:02 AM
(05-05-2015 06:56 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 06:35 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Cause gov apparently like to suck up to clergy and don't quite understand what freedom means. And atheist in Poland are miniority, very small one at that, and not vocal in fighting for secuar country.

I think it's too late. The great surge for secularism is dying out.. blasphemy laws will become more and more common, atheists will continue to be looked down upon.

I kind of agree. People don't value these free speech, free expression things. It's understandable in a way. Low priority placed on education, large numbers of people in the world... Most people would rather put their heads down and work to get food into their own and their loved ones mouths. You can't eat a human right. And religion offers two things: to the powerful it's ready made crowd control. To the downtrodden it's a sense of inclusion. Very few will even want to step outside the little circle of warmth and light they are given.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
05-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Every generation has tons of people who think there is a downward spiral.. It's called CHANGE. It's also at times propagated up by traditional values that are differing and thinking values one upholds, were held higher than they actually were to begin with previously. It's just a process of dialectics; you're seeing one counter and thinking, That's taking over! But look through the process of history repeatedly, that doesn't happen. That's not how societies ever function.

Also, what would being outlawing an emotional state be?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson