Values of the enlightenment diminishing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2015, 10:28 AM
RE: Values of the enlightenment diminishing?
(05-05-2015 08:10 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Every generation has tons of people who think there is a downward spiral.. It's called CHANGE. It's also at times propagated up by traditional values that are differing and thinking values one upholds, were held higher than they actually were to begin with previously. It's just a process of dialectics; you're seeing one counter and thinking, That's taking over! But look through the process of history repeatedly, that doesn't happen. That's not how societies ever function.

Also, what would being outlawing an emotional state be?

I don't understand your question?

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Considering most European nations are starting to vote in nationalist parties and leaders, I don't think criticism of stupidity is going to be outlawed.

Occasional TTA returner then leaverer.
06-05-2015, 03:23 AM
(05-05-2015 06:56 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 06:35 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Cause gov apparently like to suck up to clergy and don't quite understand what freedom means. And atheist in Poland are miniority, very small one at that, and not vocal in fighting for secuar country.

As for secular values I think one should look on Scandinavian countries.

I think it's too late. The great surge for secularism is dying out.. blasphemy laws will become more and more common, atheists will continue to be looked down upon.

It's certainly possible but I do not think that future would be so bleak. About atheists I agree, but it is to be expected. What else one who is indoctrinated can do than rage about those who rejects his delusions?

(05-05-2015 08:02 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 06:56 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I think it's too late. The great surge for secularism is dying out.. blasphemy laws will become more and more common, atheists will continue to be looked down upon.

I kind of agree. People don't value these free speech, free expression things. It's understandable in a way. Low priority placed on education, large numbers of people in the world... Most people would rather put their heads down and work to get food into their own and their loved ones mouths. You can't eat a human right. And religion offers two things: to the powerful it's ready made crowd control. To the downtrodden it's a sense of inclusion. Very few will even want to step outside the little circle of warmth and light they are given.

It seems that Marx was right - "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people".

As for not valuing free speech I think it's rather about wanting to take it from others than not valuing. Again Poland - Catholics here believe they can say whatever they want but it is inconceivable to their indoctrinated brains that others should have the same right.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
06-05-2015, 03:25 AM
(05-05-2015 12:18 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Considering most European nations are starting to vote in nationalist parties and leaders, I don't think criticism of stupidity is going to be outlawed.

Nationalist = stupid Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-05-2015, 04:46 AM
(06-05-2015 03:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  Nationalist = stupid Tongue

Oh, I know. That just means there will be more stupid for us to criticize. Wink

Occasional TTA returner then leaverer.
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
06-05-2015, 05:06 AM
(06-05-2015 04:46 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 03:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  Nationalist = stupid Tongue

Oh, I know. That just means there will be more stupid for us to criticize. Wink

... You wuz too deep for me man, too deep Weeping

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-05-2015, 08:11 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2015 08:50 AM by Szuchow.)
(05-05-2015 10:28 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 08:10 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Every generation has tons of people who think there is a downward spiral.. It's called CHANGE. It's also at times propagated up by traditional values that are differing and thinking values one upholds, were held higher than they actually were to begin with previously. It's just a process of dialectics; you're seeing one counter and thinking, That's taking over! But look through the process of history repeatedly, that doesn't happen. That's not how societies ever function.

Also, what would being outlawing an emotional state be?

I don't understand your question?

I think it is about phobia. It is about asking how certain feeling towards others or their ideology can be outlawed.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
06-05-2015, 08:41 AM
Which values though? The racist values of the enlightenment, that saw blacks as inferior to whites? The values captured in the Reign of Terror, that led to priests heads being mounted on sticks?
06-05-2015, 08:47 AM
(06-05-2015 08:41 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  priests heads being mounted on sticks?

Actually I kinda like that idea Consider

06-05-2015, 08:48 AM
(06-05-2015 08:47 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 08:41 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  priests heads being mounted on sticks?

Actually I kinda like that idea Consider

Beats young boys mounted by priests.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post