Various philosophical musings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2017, 02:45 AM
RE: Various philosophical musings
I think it's pretty obvious that morality, on an individual level, is subjective. I've also always argued that the idea of some sort of objective morality that has any practical purpose is an absurd concept. It would just be the fixing of one of these subjective moralities as "the standard", and anyone who disagreed with it would ignore it. I go into more detail in my video below.

I would highly recommend the YouTube channel Noel Plum. He has given me quite a few new ideas about a range of topics. I've also found his social commentary to be well thought out, and his arguments always strong and evidenced.

One thing I picked up from him is that we all happily use descriptive words that aren't objective, without anyone kicking up a fuss: large, tasty, pleasant, silly, shiny, and so on. No one tries to say that calling something shiny is meaningless if you don't have an objective standard (given to you in a book). Morality isn't much different. Almost everyone has a decent idea what you mean by a moral or immoral act, even if everyone would draw their lines in different places. It is probably one of the descriptors with the most deviation between people, but it still serves as a meaningful concept without having to have an objective standard. It's not completely arbitrary, as the false dichotomy suggests. I would say that our subjective moralities, on the whole, overlap enough for it to have common ground in general usage.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
22-11-2017, 01:07 AM
I've struggled with a contradiction for a while, and I think I finally had a brainwave which resolves it.

Religion seems to be taking reality and saying, "This isn't enough, that's just boring, we need lots of extra magical stuff going on". This indicates imagination. But then I've found that many theists I've engaged with seem to have extremely stunted imaginations. For example, they have claimed that this is the "best possible world", whereas I can imagine a better one without even trying. They also can't imagine any alternatives to their narrative without reducing them to ridiculous strawmen. They can't imagine the scope of reality outside our planet.

So which is it? I've concluded that, in these cases at least, it is a lack of imagination that is winning out. Introducing religious ideas isn't adding mystery, it's taking it away. It reduces all the wondrous complexity and possibilities to very simple narratives. It takes all the difficult fundamental questions and slaps simple answers onto them. This all then reduces the amount of thinking and imagination that is needed, because everything is neatly resolved and packaged away.

For some people, I expect this is actually desirable. I've often seen how people can feel so uncomfortable with not having all the answers. For others, they probably just don't realize, and indoctrination has cut off the supply to their imagination and curiosity. I see so many theists who convince themselves they are "challenging their beliefs", while simply preaching and repeating themselves, seemingly for reassurance.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
22-11-2017, 04:26 AM
(23-10-2017 12:38 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I wonder... could you have a situation where being B has the knowledge of whether or not being A is missing any knowledge, and vice versa? Could they then become omnipotent by sharing that knowledge with each other?

Wow, I'll have to think about that one. Sounds suspicious. Kudos to anyone who finds the flaw before I do Tongue

Yeah, dude, there's a magical place where beings of higher learning guide and assist those suffering in ignorance, called schools. They're not called teachers for nothing.
Find all posts by this user
22-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Not sure what's going on there but...

I'll add the answer to that problem as I see it.

No, two beings cannot help each other become omniscient. It's pretty much the same reason as for one.

Consider the set of things both beings don't know that they don't know. Clearly neither can fill each other in on any missing information here. And to each of them, that set being empty would present the same as being non-empty. They could believe all they want that the set is empty, but they can't know it or demonstrate it.