Vasovagal syncope! D:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2015, 09:29 AM
Vasovagal syncope! D:
So today my doctor wanted to run a blood test.

I've never had issues with needles before, so when the first poke failed to find one of my shy veins, I took the second one on my wrist like a champ. We still didn't strike blood though. My veins have always been elusive. The nurse began probing with the needle, trying to find that supposedly plump vein that had been there a second ago. No luck.

She removed the needle and asked if I was willing for a third and final go. I told her I was a tough girl. I've always had a good threshold for pain.

Then everything went wrong.

As she was preparing another needle, my vision suddenly went 'staticky', like a tv screen. I recovered, but then I felt my heart rate plunge, and that FREAKED ME OUT. I started hyperventilating. Didn't help at all.

I'd never read about what actually happened to people who fainted during/after a shot. I always made light of them and assumed they were 'weak', not that they experienced a sudden uncontrollable drop in heart rate and blood pressure.

So I think, in trying to stay humorous, I said something stupid like 'I'm too young to die! Sorry!'

I realized I just apologized for nothing.

Then I blanked.

Came too with my nose burning and my ears feeling like they were stuffed with cotton. The lights were too bright. I was fucking cranky and told the nurses to turn them off.

Overall it sucked, but at least I got some free orange juice! xD

Guess it's what I deserve for thinking I was tough stuff.

Anyone else have a similar/funny medical experience?

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2015, 09:40 AM
RE: Vasovagal syncope! D:
You have my sympathy ... but in the hospital we usually see in in the context of .... ummm ... well lets just say it happens in the bathroom, and has something to do with 1 + 1. I'll let nurse explain it. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
28-08-2015, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2015 11:19 AM by TurkeyBurner.)
(28-08-2015 09:29 AM)Loom Wrote:  So today my doctor wanted to run a blood test.

I've never had issues with needles before, so when the first poke failed to find one of my shy veins, I took the second one on my wrist like a champ. We still didn't strike blood though. My veins have always been elusive. The nurse began probing with the needle, trying to find that supposedly plump vein that had been there a second ago. No luck.

She removed the needle and asked if I was willing for a third and final go. I told her I was a tough girl. I've always had a good threshold for pain.

As she was preparing another needle, my vision suddenly went 'staticky', like a tv screen. I recovered, but then I felt my heart rate plunge, and that FREAKED ME OUT. I started hyperventilating. Didn't help at all.

I'd never read about what actually happened to people who fainted during/after a shot. I always made light of them and assumed they were 'weak', not that they experienced a sudden uncontrollable drop in heart rate and blood pressure.

So I think, in trying to stay humorous, I said something stupid like 'I'm too young to die! Sorry!'

Then I blanked.

Came too with my nose burning and my ears feeling like they were stuffed with cotton. The lights were too bright. I was fucking cranky and told the nurses to turn them off.

I once had a pretty severe allergic reaction to an antibiotic. I had never had an allergic reaction to anything before, so I was pretty far along before I realized what was happening. It didn't help that it happened while I was driving to pick up my wife from the airport at about 11pm one night.

Anyway, we went to the emergency room. By the time I arrived at the hospital, I was covered in large red swollen patches all over my body and my face and hands were swelling pretty badly. The ER staff rushed me in to get an IV started and I sat down on the edge of an exam table. The needle they were using had a piece of tubing about 12 inches long with some sort of a little valve on it. In the rush to get the IV in, someone apparently forgot to turn the valve to the "off" position.

When the nurse stuck the needle in, it was like someone turned on a tiny red fire-hose. The tubing undulated in mesmerizing slow-motion and as I watched it, time appeared to first slow and then come to a crawl. I looked down at my thighs to see an odd red pattern of blood splattered across my jeans. It seemed as time suddenly froze with that visual of my blood splattered jeans frozen in my mind.

Then, in a rush, someone started time back again. It was as if 10 minutes of activity had to be compressed into a half second in order for my perception to catch back up to reality. Everything moved with lightning speed. First, the room whirled vertically around the bed (which remained stationary) coming to rest with the ceiling in front of me, the blurs of people moving in dizzying arcs and circles around me while the walls seemed to be spinning in the opposite direction. Sounds and words assaulted my ears like someone playing a record at full volume and 100X speed.

After maybe a half second of fast-forward, time snapped back to normal speed. There was a nurse was hovering over my face asking me what my name was and what day it was but her voice was muffled like she was speaking through a wall. I felt like I had been holding my breath the last 10 minutes and I had that pins and needles tingling sensation all over my body and especially behind my eyes. Then, a detached voice, which I later realized was actually mine, muttered something along the lines of "those were my favorite fucking jeans."

It was about that time that I realized that there were about 8 extra people standing in the room around me watching with intense curiosity. They were residents and I was apparently the most interesting thing going on in the entire hospital at the moment.

EDIT: As it turned out, a doctor (who was apparently one of the figures whirling around me) said if I had waited just a little longer to come in to the ER, my ruined jeans would have been the least of my worries - or no worry at all.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
28-08-2015, 11:26 AM
(28-08-2015 09:29 AM)Loom Wrote:  So today my doctor wanted to run a blood test.

Then I blanked.

That's happened to me. My husband, son and I were giving blood samples for a research study. They got theirs done, no problem. As usual, I was a tough stick, which means lots of tapping and often two or three tries with the needle in different locations before they find a vein that'll work. I started feeling weird, and my face turned very pale, and I almost passed out. As a result we all had to hang out at the hospital for an extra half hour or so. I've had vasovagal reactions before to blood draws, but never as severe.

The only time it's been easy getting blood from me is when I was pregnant and had more body fluid.
28-08-2015, 12:14 PM
I've had some painful tests, but I've had so many needles that they don't upset me.

I did, however, die once after surgery. They apparently over-served me Dilaudid. Consider

Note: No near death experiences occurred.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user