Vatican: Bishops not required to report abuse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2016, 06:37 AM
Vatican: Bishops not required to report abuse
I don't even know what to say.

LINK

Quote:ROME, Feb. 11 (UPI) -- A newly released Catholic church document tells bishops they don't have to report clerical child abuse accusations to the police.

In laying out how newly appointed senior members of the clergy should deal with abuse allegations, the Vatican said bishops must be aware of local laws but their only duty was to deal with cases internally.

"According to the state of civil laws of each country where reporting is obligatory, it is not necessarily the duty of the bishop to report suspects to authorities, the police or state prosecutors in the moment when they are made aware of crimes or sinful deeds," the training guide states.

The Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors, the special commission created by the Pope, apparently wasn't involved in putting together the guidelines, despite its designed role to develop protocols for dealing with and preventing the clerical abuse of children.

Fuck.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2016, 06:43 AM
RE: Vatican: Bishops not required to report abuse
When one consider what a shitty organization church is such decision is hardly surprising.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
11-02-2016, 06:46 AM
Quote:"According to the state of civil laws of each country where reporting is obligatory, it is not necessarily the duty of the bishop to report suspects to authorities, the police or state prosecutors in the moment when they are made aware of crimes or sinful deeds," the training guide states.

I don't think they've quite grasped the meaning of "obligatory".

If any group can be called evil it is the Catholic church.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
11-02-2016, 07:07 AM
Bit odd that they'd put something so incriminating in an official policy document Shocking

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-02-2016, 07:13 AM
(11-02-2016 07:07 AM)morondog Wrote:  Bit odd that they'd put something so incriminating in an official policy document Shocking

I would imagine it relates to confession, which has already been upheld in court. It's still a stunningly offensive act.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky