Vatican Opens Dialogue With Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2011, 10:09 AM

Vatican Opens Dialogue With Atheists
By Francis X. Rocca
Religion News Service

VATICAN CITY (RNS) A new Vatican initiative to promote dialogue between believers and atheists debuted with a two-day event on Thursday and Friday (March 24-25) in Paris.

"Religion, Light and Common Reason" was the theme of seminars sponsored by the Vatican's Pontifical Council for Culture at various locations in the French capital, including Paris-Sorbonne University and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).

"The church does not see itself as an island cut off from the world ... Dialogue is thus a question of principle for her," Cardinal Gianfranco Ravasi told the French newspaper La Croix. "We are aware that the great challenge is not atheism but indifference, which is much more dangerous." (Full Article)
Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2011, 11:09 AM
RE: Vatican Opens Dialogue With Atheists
Good on em.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2011, 11:31 AM
I have a feeling that this will turn out to be just another goading session.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
31-03-2011, 11:43 AM
"Vatican opens dialogue with atheists"

Hopefully they won't open fire once the event starts.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
31-03-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt on this one. Of course there will be dialogue involving, "who is right or wrong", but perhaps it will open other discussions about, "how can we live, not only together, but cooperatively."

I'd love to see atheists (of course not as a whole, but perhaps an atheist organization (?)) and the catholic church work together on some sort of humanitarian project. It would make a statement that one group may have differing reasons for doing good than another, but that both have a goal to make a positive change, and that is what is most important. The theistic/secular reasons are secondary to the main goal of making our world better.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
31-03-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm not to optimistic about this. After the pope himself warned against the "dangers of atheism" - his words , not mine - I'm not too keen to see these people get a clean slate before sitting down at the debate table.
And I'm not sure how much they care about our world - this is in their best interest. The more people leave the church , the less power and less money they have.
I'd love to see the world made into a better place , but until they stop protecting pedos and stop bashing gays and women , they can keep their dialogue.
Their entire group is a hierarchical system - and I don't like their leader very much.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
31-03-2011, 12:02 PM
(31-03-2011 11:52 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt on this one. Of course there will be dialogue involving, "who is right or wrong", but perhaps it will open other discussions about, "how can we live, not only together, but cooperatively."

I'd love to see atheists (of course not as a whole, but perhaps an atheist organization (?)) and the catholic church work together on some sort of humanitarian project. It would make a statement that one group may have differing reasons for doing good than another, but that both have a goal to make a positive change, and that is what is most important. The theistic/secular reasons are secondary to the main goal of making our world better.

I like this. I actually read a post about it on another blog.

http://friendlyatheist.com/2011/03/29/wh...h-service/

It really doesn't matter if they believe in something we don't, if working together can help make the world a better place. Plus, like the article says, we non-believers would be able to prove that we're not immoral for being godless.

I totally hope that event is about working together, and not about trying to convert more people into Catholicism. However, like gaglamesh731 says, it's hard to be optimistic about this.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
31-03-2011, 01:29 PM
I do agree with you Gag, to a degree. I'm granting the benefit of the doubt, but will most definitely hold on to that doubt. For me it's not so much being optimistic as hopeful. I HOPE these good things can come of a dialogue. That doesn't necessarily mean I think they will. But at the same time, if I don't work towards a positive relationship among everyone, who will? It's my responsibility, as much as it is the catholics down the road, to learn ways that we can work together despite our differences.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
31-03-2011, 02:32 PM
@Stark
Fair enough. Anything that makes the world a better place.
But like the US government supporting the Libyan rebels , I'm not sure things will turn out for the best.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
01-04-2011, 01:04 AM
I suspect that this may be a ploy to get into the heads of some atheists with the express idea of;

1. learning how to convert some atheists into catholics.
2. learning more about athiest arguements so as to be better prepared for conquering us in debates.
3. learning anything they can about us so that they can keep us looking like devil worshippers.

Yes I am skeptical. I will change my mind when, and if, I see enough PROOF that their intentions are what they say they are.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.