Vatican Opens Dialogue With Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2011, 01:48 AM
RE: Vatican Opens Dialogue With Atheists
2 questions...

1) What do those overpayed, flashy disco costume with stupid hats wearing, paedophile protecting, bigots want from Atheists. Buy them out with the money they inherited from gullible old ladies?

2) Who is going to represent "The Atheists". There is no such thing as "THE Atheists". (witch is our problem I guess)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2011, 03:22 AM
I wonder what Hitchens has to say about this.
Did he release an official position yet ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
01-04-2011, 04:10 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2011 04:20 AM by MasterRottweiler.)
I dont know what to think. I dont know if I should give them the benefit of doubt like Stark said.

I think this will go like the vatican Sith Lords asking "ATHEISTS U Y NO BELIEVE IN GOD". I mean, Whats the whole point of this thing? Really. I could be great if they disscus about coexisting peacefully.

Probably there must be a hidden agenda of course, after all fundamentalist cathoilics are no better than fundamentalist evangelical christians.

[Image: darthSidious.jpg]

EVERY SINGLE ATHEIST IN THAT BUILDING IS NOW AN ENEMY OF THE CHURCH! Tongue

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Hey, No. J.

Quote:I suspect that this may be a ploy to get into the heads of some atheists with the express idea of;

1. learning how to convert some atheists into catholics.
2. learning more about athiest arguements so as to be better prepared for conquering us in debates.
3. learning anything they can about us so that they can keep us looking like devil worshippers.

Yes I am skeptical. I will change my mind when, and if, I see enough PROOF that their intentions are what they say they are.

What could you possibly base this on?

Just sayin, dude, you're goin on about proof after saying you suspect the Catholic Church of very specific things without having a shred of evidence to base those suspicions on. The burden of proof is on YOU to prove that your suspicions have any validity. Without proof, that's just slander.

I mean, please, correct me if I'm wrong. If you have evidence, I'm all ears. But if you don't, then this is Fox Newsworthy.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
01-04-2011, 06:28 PM

Sounds reasonable. I don't think most atheists in their daily lives go about picking religious arguments with family, friends or co-workers. We generally work together for common goals as a matter of course.

Why there has to be some special forum for this to happen is another matter. If the Vatican can only think in institutional terms rather than ad-hoc grassroots relationships, then there's likely to be a cultural barrier to understanding.
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2011, 10:33 PM
(01-04-2011 09:58 AM)Ghost Wrote:  I mean, please, correct me if I'm wrong. If you have evidence, I'm all ears. But if you don't, then this is Fox Newsworthy.

http://www.truthbeknown.com/victims.htm

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
01-04-2011, 10:37 PM
I wonder if they invited Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris and Matt Dillahunty to this to represent the athiest side? Or just AaronA for that matter? Seems to me like a publicity event for a church that is losing followers faster than a sinking ship loses rats. By appearing to be open to "alternative" viewpoints they are hoping to re-brand the Catholic Church as a welcome place for all those soft Catholics who have turned away from it in disgust of their support, succor, and defending of the hundreds of child molestors they employ. Why should any atheist assist them in this charade?

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
02-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Quote:http://www.truthbeknown.com/victims.htm
Arcarya S. :F Don't take everything she says seriously.

I wouldn't blame the slaughtering of native folks on Christianity.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
02-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Hey, No. J.

I cannot see how what you posted in any way corroborates your theories. Are you able to spell out the link that you see between the two?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
02-04-2011, 12:35 PM
I recall in my reading of "The Greatest Show on Earth" that whenever Dawkins referenced a theistic friend of his who has come to terms with natural selection, it was always some sort of Catholic preist. Am I remembering correctly (my copy of the book got stolen)?