Vatican outlaws use of gluten free bread for Holy Communion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2017, 08:08 AM
Vatican outlaws use of gluten free bread for Holy Communion
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/...union/amp/

Quote:He added: “The bread used in the celebration of the Most Holy Eucharistic Sacrifice must be unleavened, purely of wheat, and recently made so that there is no danger of decomposition.

"It follows therefore that bread made from another substance, even if it is grain, or if it is mixed with another substance different from wheat to such an extent that it would not commonly be considered wheat bread, does not constitute valid matter for confecting the Sacrifice and the Eucharistic Sacrament."

Hang on a minute, I thought god was omnipotent. You're telling me you can't use gluten-free bread?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
09-07-2017, 08:15 AM
RE: Vatican outlaws use of gluten free bread for Holy Communion
You will learn about these deep things when you get to Charms Class.
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Charms_(class)
The incantation has to be done precisely, or the magic doesn't work.
Duh.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-07-2017, 08:41 AM
(09-07-2017 08:08 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/...union/amp/

Quote:He added: “The bread used in the celebration of the Most Holy Eucharistic Sacrifice must be unleavened, purely of wheat, and recently made so that there is no danger of decomposition.

"It follows therefore that bread made from another substance, even if it is grain, or if it is mixed with another substance different from wheat to such an extent that it would not commonly be considered wheat bread, does not constitute valid matter for confecting the Sacrifice and the Eucharistic Sacrament."

Hang on a minute, I thought god was omnipotent. You're telling me you can't use gluten-free bread?

So, yeah. This has been of concern for several years for Catholics with celiac disease. So their choice is to forego the ceremony or consume something that is highly toxic to them that will end up killing them. And since the susceptibility for CD is genetic and there's no cure, it's hard to argue that it is their own fault. I never know what to say to them. For me (I have CD), it's one of a long list of good reasons for being an atheist - not having to eat poisons to participate in a religious ceremony.
[+] 6 users Like Rockblossom's post
09-07-2017, 08:45 AM
So then am I to assume that the Protestant Church of my youth who was so anti-alcohol that they used grape juice for wine were CHEATING?!?!

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 5 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
09-07-2017, 08:50 AM
(09-07-2017 08:41 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 08:08 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/...union/amp/

So, yeah. This has been of concern for several years for Catholics with celiac disease. So their choice is to forego the ceremony or consume something that is highly toxic to them that will end up killing them. And since the susceptibility for CD is genetic and there's no cure, it's hard to argue that it is their own fault. I never know what to say to them. For me (I have CD), it's one of a long list of good reasons for being an atheist - not having to eat poisons to participate in a religious ceremony.

I am curious because I really don't know...how much gluten will cause a problem? A communion host is a little bigger around than a quarter and is nearly paper thin. There's not much of anything (beyond the myth) to it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
09-07-2017, 08:58 AM
God's got to work on gaining a new level so that he can take the metamagic feat that allows to ignore spell component.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
09-07-2017, 09:01 AM
(09-07-2017 08:50 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I am curious because I really don't know...how much gluten will cause a problem? A communion host is a little bigger around than a quarter and is nearly paper thin. There's not much of anything (beyond the myth) to it.

Tolerance levels can vary a bit person to person for celiacs, but generally:
Quote:In general, research suggests that less than 10 milligrams (mg) of gluten daily is unlikely to cause significant damage to the intestines in most celiac people. However these small amounts could still be enough to make a person feel unwell.

How small is 10 mg? A dime weighs about 2,200 mg (2.2 g). Tricia Thompson, RD, a celiac disease authority explains that a one-ounce slice of regular white bread has approximately 3,515 mg of gluten, or 351 times the maximum daily amount that’s safe for celiac patients. That means even a crumb is too much.
https://www.celiac.com/blogs/198/Is-Ther...mount.html

And white bread is usually only about 25% wheat, whereas the communion wafers are supposed to be pure wheat. So, yes. One wafer is more than enough to cause inflammation in the intestinal tract. Repeated use will eventually cause complications that lead to death for celiacs.
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post
09-07-2017, 09:06 AM
If they believed their own bullshit, this would be a nice loophole for gluten intolerant Catholics to get to heaven faster.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
09-07-2017, 09:07 AM
(09-07-2017 09:01 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 08:50 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I am curious because I really don't know...how much gluten will cause a problem? A communion host is a little bigger around than a quarter and is nearly paper thin. There's not much of anything (beyond the myth) to it.

Tolerance levels can vary a bit person to person for celiacs, but generally:
Quote:In general, research suggests that less than 10 milligrams (mg) of gluten daily is unlikely to cause significant damage to the intestines in most celiac people. However these small amounts could still be enough to make a person feel unwell.

How small is 10 mg? A dime weighs about 2,200 mg (2.2 g). Tricia Thompson, RD, a celiac disease authority explains that a one-ounce slice of regular white bread has approximately 3,515 mg of gluten, or 351 times the maximum daily amount that’s safe for celiac patients. That means even a crumb is too much.
https://www.celiac.com/blogs/198/Is-Ther...mount.html

And white bread is usually only about 25% wheat, whereas the communion wafers are supposed to be pure wheat. So, yes. One wafer is more than enough to cause inflammation in the intestinal tract. Repeated use will eventually cause complications that lead to death for celiacs.

I didn't know that.

I remember using communion to be a way to sneak out of church early. While everyone else was lining up to head to the altar it was a good time to slip out the door unnoticed.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
09-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Let's skip back to the part where the bread magically becomes human flesh and the participants engage in ritualized cannibalism.

Facepalm

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 11 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post