Vatican outlaws use of gluten free bread for Holy Communion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2017, 09:16 AM
RE: Vatican outlaws use of gluten free bread for Holy Communion
(09-07-2017 09:01 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  Tolerance levels can vary a bit person to person for celiacs, but generally:
Quote:In general, research suggests that less than 10 milligrams (mg) of gluten daily is unlikely to cause significant damage to the intestines in most celiac people. However these small amounts could still be enough to make a person feel unwell.

How small is 10 mg? A dime weighs about 2,200 mg (2.2 g). Tricia Thompson, RD, a celiac disease authority explains that a one-ounce slice of regular white bread has approximately 3,515 mg of gluten, or 351 times the maximum daily amount that’s safe for celiac patients. That means even a crumb is too much.
https://www.celiac.com/blogs/198/Is-Ther...mount.html

And white bread is usually only about 25% wheat, whereas the communion wafers are supposed to be pure wheat. So, yes. One wafer is more than enough to cause inflammation in the intestinal tract. Repeated use will eventually cause complications that lead to death for celiacs.

Wow, I had no idea.

But it shouldn't be a problem really...after all the wafer will under go transubstantiation into the body of christ as soon you eat it and I think meat is gluten free. Tongue

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
09-07-2017, 09:16 AM
(09-07-2017 08:41 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 08:08 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/...union/amp/

Hang on a minute, I thought god was omnipotent. You're telling me you can't use gluten-free bread?

So, yeah. This has been of concern for several years for Catholics with celiac disease. So their choice is to forego the ceremony or consume something that is highly toxic to them that will end up killing them. And since the susceptibility for CD is genetic and there's no cure, it's hard to argue that it is their own fault. I never know what to say to them. For me (I have CD), it's one of a long list of good reasons for being an atheist - not having to eat poisons to participate in a religious ceremony.

Actually there is a loophole which allows them to participate in the magical ceremony. Participation doesn't require consumption of both the wine and cracker. To consume one is to have consumed both, so it is dishonest to say that they are excluded from communion. There are those who are alcoholics and so only consume the cracker, it is much the same.
09-07-2017, 09:18 AM
(09-07-2017 09:12 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Let's skip back to the part where the bread magically becomes human flesh and the participants engage in ritualized cannibalism.

Facepalm
Yes, but apparently the magic only works for wheat. Rice cakes are just not able to transmute into genuine Jesusmeat.
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post
09-07-2017, 09:22 AM
(09-07-2017 09:16 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 08:41 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  So, yeah. This has been of concern for several years for Catholics with celiac disease. So their choice is to forego the ceremony or consume something that is highly toxic to them that will end up killing them. And since the susceptibility for CD is genetic and there's no cure, it's hard to argue that it is their own fault. I never know what to say to them. For me (I have CD), it's one of a long list of good reasons for being an atheist - not having to eat poisons to participate in a religious ceremony.

Actually there is a loophole which allows them to participate in the magical ceremony. Participation doesn't require consumption of both the wine and cracker. To consume one is to have consumed both, so it is dishonest to say that they are excluded from communion. There are those who are alcoholics and so only consume the cracker, it is much the same.

We were NEVER offered wine. Only the priest got that.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
09-07-2017, 09:26 AM
Not allowing gluten-free crackers seems like a really odd rule. Gluten-free matzah is available during Passover. What's the big deal? Jesus can't transubstantiate through oat flour?
[+] 9 users Like Aliza's post
09-07-2017, 09:29 AM
(09-07-2017 09:26 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Not allowing gluten-free crackers seems like a really odd rule. Gluten-free matzah is available during Passover. What's the big deal? Jesus can't transubstantiate through oat flour?
Thumbsup
I find that funnier than I probably should.

Big Grin

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
09-07-2017, 09:44 AM
(09-07-2017 09:26 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Not allowing gluten-free crackers seems like a really odd rule. Gluten-free matzah is available during Passover. What's the big deal? Jesus can't transubstantiate through oat flour?

Is there anything too difficult for the Lord?

09-07-2017, 09:58 AM
(09-07-2017 09:44 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  

Is there anything too difficult for the Lord?

Apparently so!
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
09-07-2017, 10:04 AM
(09-07-2017 09:18 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 09:12 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Let's skip back to the part where the bread magically becomes human flesh and the participants engage in ritualized cannibalism.

Facepalm
Yes, but apparently the magic only works for wheat. Rice cakes are just not able to transmute into genuine Jesusmeat.

There's actually a huge fight between the Catholics and the Orthodox over this issue. They both agree that rice cakes don't work, but what can and can't be turned into Jesusmeat is a big deal to them. Unleavened vs leavened bread.

Anjele I don't think I've ever seen that. I believe you but in my experience that's unusual unless your going to an old rite (which I do from time to time). That's actually where I learned about the theology of it. One of the people who attended had to receive blood because they were allergic to jesus flesh.
[+] 2 users Like BlkFnx's post
09-07-2017, 10:13 AM
Great... this absurd directive has just taken the Catholic church back another hundred years in time LOL. And they claimed Pope Frankie was gonna "modernise" the Catholic church and pull it into the 21st century.

[Image: 10387482_1699978843621991_4410471376542037727_n.jpg]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 5 users Like SYZ's post