Vatican outlaws use of gluten free bread for Holy Communion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2017, 10:13 AM
RE: Vatican outlaws use of gluten free bread for Holy Communion
But seriously, what strange things the church chooses to hold as important.

Does the wine have to made out of a specific type of grape?
Does it require the use of a specific yeast for fermentation?
Can you add sugar to the fermentation process? If so does it have to be cane sugar or would beet sugar do?

Does it specify in the bible that the bread at the last supper was 100% wheat? Even if it was who's to say that jesus would have refused rye bread or something, is that what the church thinks is important? Jesus didn't hand out wafers (...just a pause here to say that I don't actually think the last supper was a real event...) at the last supper, why does the church think giving out wafers isn't blasphemy or something?

I think as symbols go it would be a far better symbolic message if the priest brought out and big loaf of bread and broke off small pieces for everyone.

As it stands, the wafer & wine are just symbols, and by excluding some from communion due a condition that is out of your control, the church is just saying that their traditions are more important then your soul.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like unsapien's post
09-07-2017, 10:14 AM
(09-07-2017 10:04 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 09:18 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  Yes, but apparently the magic only works for wheat. Rice cakes are just not able to transmute into genuine Jesusmeat.

There's actually a huge fight between the Catholics and the Orthodox over this issue. They both agree that rice cakes don't work, but what can and can't be turned into Jesusmeat is a big deal to them. Unleavened vs leavened bread.

Anjele I don't think I've ever seen that. I believe you but in my experience that's unusual unless your going to an old rite (which I do from time to time). That's actually where I learned about the theology of it. One of the people who attended had to receive blood because they were allergic to jesus flesh.

I attended Catholic schools and went to mass in a Basilica for years. Wine was not given out during communion...only the host. The priest drank during his re-enactment of the last supper but the wine wasn't shared...unless you count what the altar boys snuck from the sacristy.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
09-07-2017, 10:20 AM
(09-07-2017 08:08 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/...union/amp/

Quote:He added: “The bread used in the celebration of the Most Holy Eucharistic Sacrifice must be unleavened, purely of wheat, and recently made so that there is no danger of decomposition.

"It follows therefore that bread made from another substance, even if it is grain, or if it is mixed with another substance different from wheat to such an extent that it would not commonly be considered wheat bread, does not constitute valid matter for confecting the Sacrifice and the Eucharistic Sacrament."

Hang on a minute, I thought god was omnipotent. You're telling me you can't use gluten-free bread?

I like the part where there can't be any decomposition before they turn it into the flesh of somebody who has been dead for nearly 2000 years.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 6 users Like unfogged's post
09-07-2017, 10:20 AM
(09-07-2017 09:22 AM)Anjele Wrote:  We were NEVER offered wine. Only the priest got that.

Possibly to lighten up his mood prior to a bit of fun with the choirboys after mass?

Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
09-07-2017, 10:25 AM
(09-07-2017 08:45 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  So then am I to assume that the Protestant Church of my youth who was so anti-alcohol that they used grape juice for wine were CHEATING?!?!

There wasn't much "pure wheat" in the stale cubes of Wonder Bread, either. (That's what we had along with our little plastic cups of grape juice.) Of course, we were taught that Roman Catholics were Not True Christians, so Vatican rules meant nothing to us.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
09-07-2017, 10:30 AM
Gluten for punishment.
Apparently.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 7 users Like Impulse's post
09-07-2017, 10:32 AM
(09-07-2017 10:30 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Gluten for punishment.
Apparently.

groan
Facepalm

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
09-07-2017, 10:39 AM
Apparently.

Bowing

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
09-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Apparently.

Laugh out load 5 Hail Maries and 5 wafers as penance.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
09-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Well obviously, without Gluten what is going to hold the Holy Spirit in the wafer?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post