Vatican outlaws use of gluten free bread for Holy Communion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2017, 02:54 PM
RE: Vatican outlaws use of gluten free bread for Holy Communion
(09-07-2017 02:49 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 02:39 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  But what I'm saying is that Catholic Church employs an entirely different method to make the hosts. A cast iron press that was heated to make them. Like a waffle iron. Some churches left them plain but there was a couple in San Francisco that had them imprinted.

Image below is a later one but still uses the same idea...

[Image: 37546350_1_x.jpg?version=1432845832]

When I was a kid a friend had one. His uncle (a priest) gave it to him because it could not longer be used (it was cracked). We used to use it to play in mud. Laugh out load Communion mud pies....

I'm not saying that you can't make them or that it's impossible. I'm only saying the process the Catholic Church used was a different. The batter is poured into a waffle maker type of thing and heated. The cooked crackers or bread, are then placed between sheets of cheese cloth to dry. Some use a cutter to cut them others are already communion size (in the waffle like thing). Then they're blessed and shipped out to different parishes.

They aren't technically baked at all but rather just dehydrated of moisture -- some left them out to air dry in a warm room for a day. In areas where they make thousands they still do the same way but the parts are larger.

Haha, you had fancy churches! Ours bought them from the local bakery, who got them from the cookie base people. I don't know how the cookie base people make them (by the way, they are called Oblaten) but from the sticking to the roof of the mouth comments I assume they are the same thing. You just may not have seen them used in cookies, may just be a german thing.

Like I said there's an Italian candy I buy every holiday season that uses them.

I'm in love with them....because of the candy part no mouth sticking

[Image: f394ab936b530fe3d21fea162ba6012a--christ...-stuff.jpg]

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-07-2017, 02:59 PM
(09-07-2017 02:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 02:49 PM)Dom Wrote:  Haha, you had fancy churches! Ours bought them from the local bakery, who got them from the cookie base people. I don't know how the cookie base people make them (by the way, they are called Oblaten) but from the sticking to the roof of the mouth comments I assume they are the same thing. You just may not have seen them used in cookies, may just be a german thing.

Like I said there's an Italian candy I buy every holiday season that uses them.

I'm in love with them....because of the candy part no mouth sticking

[Image: f394ab936b530fe3d21fea162ba6012a--christ...-stuff.jpg]

Yep, in German bakeries you have "Florentiner" which are a nut based flat cookie baked on those. Some have really big Florentiner, and some coat the bottom in chocolate so you don't see the Oblaten. Also, macaroons and most all nut based cookies are made that way and baked in a very hot oven.

Mmmm - Florentiner. I remember the flavor well. Will have to look for some of yours and check them out....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-07-2017, 03:31 PM
(09-07-2017 12:55 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 09:22 AM)Anjele Wrote:  We were NEVER offered wine. Only the priest got that.

Yeah our parish didn't either. Ever.

We only got the cookie that immediately stuck to the roof of your mouth. That said it's pretty fucked up for the Catholic Church to do that shit.

Before Vatican II, it was bread only, but after that, there was a lot of variation between parishes. At the church I went to a few years ago, they offered both bread and wine to everyone every Sunday, until the local Bishop decided to do things more traditionally. Since then, it's bread only except on special occasions.
12-07-2017, 04:09 PM
(09-07-2017 08:41 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  So, yeah. This has been of concern for several years for Catholics with celiac disease. So their choice is to forego the ceremony or consume something that is highly toxic to them that will end up killing them. And since the susceptibility for CD is genetic and there's no cure, it's hard to argue that it is their own fault. I never know what to say to them. For me (I have CD), it's one of a long list of good reasons for being an atheist - not having to eat poisons to participate in a religious ceremony.

Ah, yes: God's will, then. Consider

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
12-07-2017, 04:28 PM
What the fuck does it matter? It's all made up bullshit anyway....

OH SHIT THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Gotta run... bye!

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
12-07-2017, 04:40 PM
"Reports that the Vatican has outlawed gluten-free bread are without transubstance, say insiders." (Not mine)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
12-07-2017, 04:47 PM
(09-07-2017 09:16 AM)unsapien Wrote:  Wow, I had no idea.

But it shouldn't be a problem really...after all the wafer will under go transubstantiation into the body of christ as soon you eat it and I think meat is gluten free. Tongue

Actually, most Catholic theologians hold that transubstantiation takes place in the Chalice, at the moment the priest completes the Eucharistic Prayer. So that wafer is already Jesus-flesh when it's placed in your mouth.

"Some have held that the substance of the bread and wine remains in this sacrament [the Eucharist] after the consecration. But this opinion cannot stand.... [T]he conclusion is that, saving the truth of this sacrament, the substance of the bread cannot remain after the consecration"
-- Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica, Part III, Question 75, Article 1, Answer to Objection 3

So it shouldn't be a problem except, maybe, for vegetarians. Tongue

As to Catholics taking wine with Communion, they didn't do that when I was a kid, (and this, long after Vatican II), but some churches do it now.
Discovered this at my mom's funeral, a few years back. Made me blink.
The Russian Orthodox, OTOH, have been hitting the Communion bottle for a long time.

But what fascinated me even more was the fact that the Priest was assisted in administering Communion by a lay deacon. Those receiving Communion formed two lines, and one line got the wafer from the priest, while the other got it from the hand of the lay deacon. Shocking

I still remember the nun telling us in "religious instruction", preparatory for our "First Holy Communion", that should the wafer stick to the roof of our mouth, or in our throat, we were to free it ONLY with our tongue. We were NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES to use our fingers, because once the Host had been consecrated, it was the Body of Christ, and only the priest or a bishop (or, presumably, the Pope) could touch it, without immediately being STRUCK DEAD BY GOD.

In fact, we were told, even if we were choking on the Host, it would be better to CHOKE TO DEATH and go to Heaven,
than to profane the Host with out fingers and risk the FIRES OF HELL.

Catholics, huh? Whoda thunk it; sounds more like Southern Baptists.

Anyway, gotta hand it to those nuns; they sure knew how to tell a story to make seven and eight year-olds pee their pants. Blink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
13-07-2017, 08:41 AM
(12-07-2017 04:47 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 09:16 AM)unsapien Wrote:  Wow, I had no idea.

But it shouldn't be a problem really...after all the wafer will under go transubstantiation into the body of christ as soon you eat it and I think meat is gluten free. Tongue

Actually, most Catholic theologians hold that transubstantiation takes place in the Chalice, at the moment the priest completes the Eucharistic Prayer. So that wafer is already Jesus-flesh when it's placed in your mouth.

"Some have held that the substance of the bread and wine remains in this sacrament [the Eucharist] after the consecration. But this opinion cannot stand.... [T]he conclusion is that, saving the truth of this sacrament, the substance of the bread cannot remain after the consecration"
-- Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica, Part III, Question 75, Article 1, Answer to Objection 3

So it shouldn't be a problem except, maybe, for vegetarians. Tongue

As to Catholics taking wine with Communion, they didn't do that when I was a kid, (and this, long after Vatican II), but some churches do it now.
Discovered this at my mom's funeral, a few years back. Made me blink.
The Russian Orthodox, OTOH, have been hitting the Communion bottle for a long time.

But what fascinated me even more was the fact that the Priest was assisted in administering Communion by a lay deacon. Those receiving Communion formed two lines, and one line got the wafer from the priest, while the other got it from the hand of the lay deacon. Shocking

I still remember the nun telling us in "religious instruction", preparatory for our "First Holy Communion", that should the wafer stick to the roof of our mouth, or in our throat, we were to free it ONLY with our tongue. We were NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES to use our fingers, because once the Host had been consecrated, it was the Body of Christ, and only the priest or a bishop (or, presumably, the Pope) could touch it, without immediately being STRUCK DEAD BY GOD.

In fact, we were told, even if we were choking on the Host, it would be better to CHOKE TO DEATH and go to Heaven,
than to profane the Host with out fingers and risk the FIRES OF HELL.

Catholics, huh? Whoda thunk it; sounds more like Southern Baptists.

Anyway, gotta hand it to those nuns; they sure knew how to tell a story to make seven and eight year-olds pee their pants. Blink

Lay deacons? At my parish, it was regular lay people, not even deacons. This was at just about every Mass, including weekday morning Masses at which the priest could easily have handled everything himself. And the vast majority of parishioners received Communion "in the hand", putting it in their own mouth afterward. So there clearly is no prohibition against non-ordained people touching the Host anymore (although I agree that this used to be a no-no).

Of course, traditional Catholics, like our friends over at another forum which shall not be named, consider all of this ("extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion" (i.e., lay people), lay lectors, "Communion in the hand", altar girls, etc.) an abomination. And the Mass should only be said in Latin, because that's a "sacred language".

Rolleyes
13-07-2017, 10:44 AM
Current practice in Ottawa is to have an ordinary lay person give out communion by hand (ordinary lay people "trained", in that "ministry"), and then each person
DIPS the wafer into the communion wine that's in a small chalice by another "trained" layperson.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
13-07-2017, 12:49 PM
(09-07-2017 08:45 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  So then am I to assume that the Protestant Church of my youth who was so anti-alcohol that they used grape juice for wine were CHEATING?!?!
Mine had both like bit hell I was gonna take the grape juice.

I don't care what they may say!
I don't care what they may know!
Jesus is just alright with me,
Jesus is gluten free... amen!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson