Vegan/Vegetarian Recipes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2016, 10:12 PM
Vegan/Vegetarian Recipes
Vegan cookie dough. Drooling

Share other recipes you have come across, or your own!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
22-01-2016, 10:37 PM
RE: Vegan/Vegetarian Recipes
From Minimalist Baker

Banana Nut Muffins

Serves: 2

Ingredients
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1 very ripe banana
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp vegan butter, melted (heaping Tbsp is best)
1 small flax egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 Tbsp whole walnuts for topping

Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly butter two small ramekins with non-dairy butter. Prepare flax egg and set aside.
In a large bowl, mash the banana, leaving some texture.
Add brown sugar, baking soda, salt and whisk for one minute.
Stir in flax egg, vanilla, melted butter and stir.
Add flour and stir with a spoon or spatula until just combined.
Divide batter evenly into the two ramekins - about 1/2 to 3/4 full - and generously top with walnuts.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick or knife comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes, remove from ramekins and serve warm.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
22-01-2016, 11:07 PM
I have several but I would like to ask... many veg/vegan say they don't try for "tastes like meat" kinds of dishes while some are in the camp of "meat substitute" kinds of dishes. What do you prefer?

I have a vegan friend who asked me some years ago to convert some of her favorite "with meat" dishes into yummy vegan dishes. I was happy to oblige (I'm not only a chef but a culinary instructor, retired from cooking). It was fun and successful. I created a vegan chili, brought it to a New Years Eve party and even the meat eater men thought it had meat in it. It doesn't.

So, are you looking for any vegan recipe or ones that don't try to imitate meat?

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
23-01-2016, 12:03 AM
(22-01-2016 11:07 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I have several but I would like to ask... many veg/vegan say they don't try for "tastes like meat" kinds of dishes while some are in the camp of "meat substitute" kinds of dishes. What do you prefer?

I have a vegan friend who asked me some years ago to convert some of her favorite "with meat" dishes into yummy vegan dishes. I was happy to oblige (I'm not only a chef but a culinary instructor, retired from cooking). It was fun and successful. I created a vegan chili, brought it to a New Years Eve party and even the meat eater men thought it had meat in it. It doesn't.

So, are you looking for any vegan recipe or ones that don't try to imitate meat?

I'm fine with anything that tastes like meat.

23-01-2016, 11:16 PM
Vegan Chili

1 Can Veggie Broth
1 Can Rotel Tomatoes & Chilies (mild) undrained
1 Can Black Beans undrained
1 Can Garbanzo Beans undrained
1 Can Navy Beans undrained
1 Can Kidney Beans Undrained
1.5 Cups Fresh/Frozen Corn
1 Med. Onion chopped
¼ each of Green, Red, Yellow, Orange Bell Pepper chopped
1 Rib Celery sliced
1/3 Cup Carrots med. cut in food processor
1.5 Cup Mushrooms sliced
2 Tsp Garlic Powder (or 4-5 crushed cloves)
1 tsp. Cumin
2 Tbls. Chili Powder
1 Tlbs. Parsley
1 tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Black Pepper
***1/3 cup of Quinoa (added at end of cooking time, last ½ hour)

Bring to low boil in large crock pot on high, 3-4 hours total time or turn to med and simmer until desired consistency, 6-8 hours.

*Make this as hot as you want by adding favorite hot sauce or fresh chopped jalapenos or cayenne pepper to taste. Remember hot stuff will get hotter as it cooks.

[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
23-01-2016, 11:21 PM
Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers

3 Large Green Bell Peppers (halved and cleaned)
1.5 Cups of cooked rice
1 Small Onion (chopped)
1 Med-Lrg Zucchini (1.5 cups chopped)
1 Carrot (very thinly sliced)
1/2 Cup Garlic Seasoned Croutons
1/4 Cup Egg Replacer (Vegg works well/any will do)
28oz Tomato Sauce or Petite Diced Tomatoes w/juice
1/2 tsp each of Salt/Pepper/Basil/Oregano/Marjoram
1 Tbls Parsley
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder

Mix rice, onion, zucchini, carrot, Vegg with half the spices and 1/4 cup of tomato sauce until well blended, divide and stuff peppers. Place in glass casserole dish. Add the other half of the spices to the sauce and top all the peppers using all sauce. Bake covered at 350 for 45 minutes, uncovered 10 minutes. Remove, let set 10 minutes. Crush the croutons and top each pepper. Serve.

[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
23-01-2016, 11:24 PM
Sesame Spinach

3--4 Large handfuls of spinach (as much as you can get in and still put lid on)
1/4 cup raw sesame seeds
1-2 Tbls of olive oil
2-3 Tbls of Basalmic Vinegar Or Wine Vinegar
1-2 Hard Boiled Eggs chopped
Salt to taste

In a large skillet heat oil and toast seeds to light brown, add washed spinach and cover. Steam until starting to wilt, tossing occassionally, drizzle vinegar over all, salt and cover until completely wilted. Remove from heat toss again to distribute seeds, top with chopped egg and serve.

***Egg can be omitted.

[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
24-01-2016, 12:32 PM
(22-01-2016 11:07 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I have several but I would like to ask... many veg/vegan say they don't try for "tastes like meat" kinds of dishes while some are in the camp of "meat substitute" kinds of dishes. What do you prefer?

I'm not vegetarian but as I've become old and decrepit I've lost my "taste" for meat. Not for any ethical reasons but because my constitution no longer handles it well or wants it. I think if I was Hindu this would not be a problem. Every veggie Indian buffet I been to the meat was not missed.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
24-01-2016, 12:34 PM
As long as no vegan cheese is in the mix, we can all be happy.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
24-01-2016, 12:39 PM
(24-01-2016 12:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I'm not vegetarian but as I've become old and decrepit I've lost my "taste" for meat. Not for any ethical reasons but because my constitution no longer handles it well or wants it. I think if I was Hindu this would not be a problem. Every veggie Indian buffet I been to the meat was not missed.

I don't eat a lot of meat. Unless I'm making Italian dishes for company I never use any meat, just cheeses and mushrooms. I could go without most meat but I would miss pork/lamb roast and beef tacos. However I would not like to give up seafood. Shrimp, crab, lobster and fish are divine. I would miss them the most.

I have never had a fruit or vegetable I didn't like. There are some beans I don't care for but few. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post