Vegan/vegetarianism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2016, 12:45 AM
RE: Vegan/vegetarianism
(25-07-2016 08:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-07-2016 09:55 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Where's the rule that says we always have to follow evolution? I wasn't aware one existed.

Where did I say it was? Consider

We are the product of evolution and we evolved to be omnivores. That is reality.

It's where you said "veganism is a denial of what we evolved to be", implying that it is wrong to be vegan because we evolved to be omnivores.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2016, 07:04 AM
(25-07-2016 08:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  Plants have no place where information can be processed.
The reactions to light, to water, to anything are chemical. Phototropism occurs because cells exposed to the light produce growth hormones.

The rest is woo.

Well, there isn't any rest because we don't know anything else. Yet.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-07-2016, 08:14 AM
(24-07-2016 06:35 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Have you ever met a healthy vegetarian? I haven't, and I have known a lot of them, always sickly, pointing at each other and saying that the other doesn't know how to get protein properly. And on and on.

If you think vegetarians accuse each other of not getting enough protein, then I'm fairly certain you haven't actually known many. "Where do you get your protein?" is the number one dumb question omnivores ask vegetarians. They're not likely to ask it of themselves. Facepalm

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
26-07-2016, 12:53 PM
(24-07-2016 06:51 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Until you can sprout roots and suck your nutrients from the soil, and your photosynthesize your energy directly from the sun ---

[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
26-07-2016, 01:31 PM
(24-07-2016 06:35 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(24-07-2016 04:47 AM)bemore Wrote:  Ive got a friend who a few years ago decided to become a vegan. They have the usual reasons, animal suffering, exploitation etc.

They disagree that as westerners its a lifestyle choice, as the vast majority of us dont hunt or gather our food but instead work to collect tokens (money) to exchange for goods. They disagree with me that if society collapsed and they had to provide for themselves outside the system, that they would eat meat and would rather die a slow and painful death of starvation. They also think that humans wouldnt have to eat meat if society collapsed, even though i argued about the return of time/energy and if it was so easy then why did our ancestors risk life and limb to hunt?

So I understand the views that people dont wanna end life, but that normally falls into the catergory of sentinent life, when plants might not be sentinent they are still after all, alive to some degree.

So where is the cut off point do you think? The cutoff point between sentinent life and non sentinent life?

Ive posted it here in philosophy as I know its a subject close to some people. I wanna explore ideas, not go into a "right vs wrong" please.

Have you ever met a healthy vegetarian? I haven't, and I have known a lot of them, always sickly, pointing at each other and saying that the other doesn't know how to get protein properly. And on and on.

The thing is, a large number of them are willing to make that sacrifice. So, telling them that they shouldn't do it because it makes them unhealthy doesn't matter. They see it as an altruistic act.

26-07-2016, 02:24 PM
Plants are living things. They react to stimuli different but definitely react to it. Some plants would release a scent to communicate with nearby plants when in distress. I say their level of sentience might be very different. I don't have problem with vegetarian or vegan. I was a vegetarian for a year. The only annoying thing about them is their sense of superiority.
[+] 1 user Likes TheMoralist's post
26-07-2016, 03:23 PM
(26-07-2016 02:24 PM)TheMoralist Wrote:  Plants are living things. They react to stimuli different but definitely react to it. Some plants would release a scent to communicate with nearby plants when in distress. I say their level of sentience might be very different. I don't have problem with vegetarian or vegan. I was a vegetarian for a year. The only annoying thing about them is their sense of superiority.

I've seen a lot of meat eaters display the same kind of superiority.

27-07-2016, 12:04 AM
(26-07-2016 12:45 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(25-07-2016 08:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  Where did I say it was? Consider

We are the product of evolution and we evolved to be omnivores. That is reality.

It's where you said "veganism is a denial of what we evolved to be", implying that it is wrong to be vegan because we evolved to be omnivores.

I did not imply anything other than what I said - I made no value judgement. We are omnivores and veganism is a denial of that fact.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-07-2016, 03:29 AM
(24-07-2016 06:51 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Until you can sprout roots and suck your nutrients from the soil, and your photosynthesize your energy directly from the sun --- you're going to be stuck eating living things..............

The fact that you don't eat things with a circulatory system or a face doesn't make you morally superior to those folks that do.

It just makes you a picky eater.................

I for one, am not impressed..
Does a plant feel pain? Can it objectively interact with its environment? Can it think and make choices or feel emotions such as happy sad anger?

Can a plant mourn the loss of its offspring or a family member?

You clearly have no clue what you are talking about. The choice to not eat meat has nothing to do with the creature in question being alive. It is sentience. The ability to feel emotions such as despair when something it loved died in front of them. The ability to feel pain when tortured and physically harmed. The ability to feel depression and discomfort and happiness when it is well fed and surrounded by its family and socially interacting with others?

the first half of this video. That is why we choose not to eat meat.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
27-07-2016, 05:56 AM
(27-07-2016 03:29 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(24-07-2016 06:51 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Until you can sprout roots and suck your nutrients from the soil, and your photosynthesize your energy directly from the sun --- you're going to be stuck eating living things..............

The fact that you don't eat things with a circulatory system or a face doesn't make you morally superior to those folks that do.

It just makes you a picky eater.................

I for one, am not impressed..
Does a plant feel pain? Can it objectively interact with its environment? Can it think and make choices or feel emotions such as happy sad anger?

Can a plant mourn the loss of its offspring or a family member?

You clearly have no clue what you are talking about. The choice to not eat meat has nothing to do with the creature in question being alive. It is sentience. The ability to feel emotions such as despair when something it loved died in front of them. The ability to feel pain when tortured and physically harmed. The ability to feel depression and discomfort and happiness when it is well fed and surrounded by its family and socially interacting with others?

the first half of this video. That is why we choose not to eat meat.

I "clearly have no idea what (I'm) talking about" -- why because I disagree with your puny opinion???

zark off plant molester....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.