Veganism, Abortion and Infanticide

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
14-03-2017, 02:58 PM
RE: Veganism, Abortion and Infanticide
(12-03-2017 10:06 PM)Fireball Wrote:  We have chemical processes in place to avoid using leather for belts and shoes, etc, as well...

You mean plastics and synthetic PV "leather" made from oil and petrochemicals? Which pollute our local environment, are toxic to most forms of life, and contribute to global warming? Dodgy

I also note that in their infinite "wisdom" PETA suggests using nylon or polyurethane as a "natural" alternative—obviously not knowing that most plastics are manufactured using crude oil.

There's a similar ethical parallel with a vegan diet, which is deficient in vitamin A, protein, calcium, Omega-3 fatty acids, B-12 and vitamin D (both only found in animal products), and zinc (high in red meat). Obviously, there's a more than valid argument for demanding humane treatment of food-source animals, but there are no specific health benefits from a vegan diet per se.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
14-03-2017, 04:03 PM
(14-03-2017 02:58 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 10:06 PM)Fireball Wrote:  We have chemical processes in place to avoid using leather for belts and shoes, etc, as well...

You mean plastics and synthetic PV "leather" made from oil and petrochemicals? Which pollute our local environment, are toxic to most forms of life, and contribute to global warming? Dodgy

I also note that in their infinite "wisdom" PETA suggests using nylon or polyurethane as a "natural" alternative—obviously not knowing that most plastics are manufactured using crude oil.

There's a similar ethical parallel with a vegan diet, which is deficient in vitamin A, protein, calcium, Omega-3 fatty acids, B-12 and vitamin D (both only found in animal products), and zinc (high in red meat). Obviously, there's a more than valid argument for demanding humane treatment of food-source animals, but there are no specific health benefits from a vegan diet per se.

Or you could simply avoid leather and leather-like products as best as you can.

The vegan diet is not deficient in Vitamin A since Vit A is found in many vegetables such as kale, sweet potatoes, and carrots. It's also not deficient in protein--if you eat correctly. Calcium--again no, most soy milks and other non-dairy milks are fortified with calcium and vitamin D (of which we can also obtain from the sun, btw). Zinc is also found in legumes, nuts, miso, etc,-so again with proper meal planning not deficient. Omega 3 can be obtained from a tablet and ALA can be obtained from flax or chia seeds and walnuts. B-12 can be obtained easily by a supplement.

There are actually health benefits to a vegan diet. We tend not to be overweight, we have lower risks for a variety of cancers, lower cholesterol, lower risk of cardiovascular disease...the list goes on and on. To be clear, this is not a PSA for veganism, I am just responding to your post regarding that there are no specific health benefits to a vegan diet.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
14-03-2017, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2017 04:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-03-2017 02:58 PM)SYZ Wrote:  There's a similar ethical parallel with a vegan diet, which is deficient in vitamin A, protein, calcium, Omega-3 fatty acids, B-12 and vitamin D (both only found in animal products), and zinc (high in red meat). Obviously, there's a more than valid argument for demanding humane treatment of food-source animals, but there are no specific health benefits from a vegan diet per se.

Where are you getting your dietary info from? Pretty sure the only thing on that list vegheads need to worry about is B-12. Vitamin A? Seriously? Carrots, sweet potatoes, kale .... Protein? Nuts and beans. Calcium? Leafy greens, soy, almonds. Omega-3s? Seeds - flax, chia, hemp. Vitamin D? The sun.

I think there likely are specific health benefits from a vegetarian diet. First and probably foremost they pay a lot more attention to what they're actually stuffing into their piehole so not a lot of mindless eating and they actually consider their food. Second, fiber fiber fiber. Third they likely get a far wider range of beneficial phytochemicals and phytonutrients than your typical meat heavy diet. Did I mention fiber? We are just now beginning to realize the full importance of keeping the gut ecosystem happy. There's even a direct gut-brain link. Them little critters really like their fiber.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Our new diet is based on the mediterrainian diet, and although meat is featured it is in far smaller proportions than our typical diet for the last few decades.
All of what you wrote up there is why, Girly Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
14-03-2017, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2017 04:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-03-2017 04:14 PM)skyking Wrote:  Our new diet is based on the mediterrainian diet, and although meat is featured it is in far smaller proportions than our typical diet for the last few decades.

I've actually found that I'm losing my taste for meat as I get old. Dunno why. Used to be able to wash down a 2lb porterhouse with a half-dozen baked potatoes and a jar of horseradish and now it takes me a while to even get through a 4 oz sirloin. I mean I enjoy it and all, but I still kinda miss the glutton. He was a big fat jolly fellow who could eat and drink just about anyone on the planet under the table.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-03-2017, 06:06 PM
(14-03-2017 04:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-03-2017 04:14 PM)skyking Wrote:  Our new diet is based on the mediterrainian diet, and although meat is featured it is in far smaller proportions than our typical diet for the last few decades.

I've actually found that I'm losing my taste for meat as I get old. Dunno why. Used to be able to wash down a 2lb porterhouse with a half-dozen baked potatoes and a jar of horseradish and now it takes me a while to even get through a 4 oz sirloin. I mean I enjoy it and all, but I still kinda miss the glutton. He was a big fat jolly fellow who could eat and drink just about anyone on the planet under the table.

I've noticed the same thing mind you that won't stop me demolishing a family size bucket of fried chicken on Thursday, that doesn't count. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
14-03-2017, 06:32 PM
(14-03-2017 06:06 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(14-03-2017 04:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I've actually found that I'm losing my taste for meat as I get old. Dunno why. Used to be able to wash down a 2lb porterhouse with a half-dozen baked potatoes and a jar of horseradish and now it takes me a while to even get through a 4 oz sirloin. I mean I enjoy it and all, but I still kinda miss the glutton. He was a big fat jolly fellow who could eat and drink just about anyone on the planet under the table.

I've noticed the same thing mind you that won't stop me demolishing a family size bucket of fried chicken on Thursday, that doesn't count. Big Grin

Neither do those new Mac Daddy Big Macs McDonald's been making now. It don't count if it's not really meat.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-03-2017, 06:36 PM
(14-03-2017 06:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-03-2017 06:06 PM)adey67 Wrote:  I've noticed the same thing mind you that won't stop me demolishing a family size bucket of fried chicken on Thursday, that doesn't count. Big Grin

Neither do those new Mac Daddy Big Macs McDonald's been making now. It don't count if it's not really meat.

I have a hard-on for McDonalds cheeseburgers and fried chicken but can't do the quantity I used to, we're getting old brother. Weeping
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
14-03-2017, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2017 06:53 PM by skyking.)
i've sworn off that fast food burger crap. Done!
3 months without and I'm cured.
I'll grab a piece of chicken and strip off the skin.
14-03-2017, 06:59 PM
(14-03-2017 06:06 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(14-03-2017 04:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I've actually found that I'm losing my taste for meat as I get old. Dunno why. Used to be able to wash down a 2lb porterhouse with a half-dozen baked potatoes and a jar of horseradish and now it takes me a while to even get through a 4 oz sirloin. I mean I enjoy it and all, but I still kinda miss the glutton. He was a big fat jolly fellow who could eat and drink just about anyone on the planet under the table.

Ditto. I reduced my consumption of red meat to twice a month from almost every day, about 20 years or so ago. Now, I can't stand ham or pork chops but can eat baby back ribs once in awhile. Bacon is a one or two times a month treat, 3 strips of the least fat level I can find. I still like beef, but if I am only going to eat it once or twice a month, it's going to be a t-bone, not a burger. It's been (6?-8?) months since I've had a burger. Probably the same for a t-bone, for that matter. Pastrami I still love; had a half a sandwich last week. Good thing I like chicken and fish. However, we're going camping this weekend, and the wife wants to bring cold fried chicken. Ima find a small t-bone to grill for me, instead! Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post