Veganism, Abortion and Infanticide

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
14-03-2017, 07:15 PM
RE: Veganism, Abortion and Infanticide
(14-03-2017 06:59 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Ditto. I reduced my consumption of red meat to twice a month from almost every day, about 20 years or so ago. Now, I can't stand ham or pork chops but can eat baby back ribs once in awhile. Bacon is a one or two times a month treat, 3 strips of the least fat level I can find. I still like beef, but if I am only going to eat it once or twice a month, it's going to be a t-bone, not a burger. It's been (6?-8?) months since I've had a burger. Probably the same for a t-bone, for that matter. Pastrami I still love; had a half a sandwich last week. Good thing I like chicken and fish. However, we're going camping this weekend, and the wife wants to bring cold fried chicken. Ima find a small t-bone to grill for me, instead! Yes

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-03-2017, 12:54 AM
I take multivitamins and calcium supplements, just to make sure I'm getting everything. I've had all my levels tested, and I'm not deficient in anything.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
15-03-2017, 02:20 AM
(14-03-2017 06:36 PM)adey67 Wrote:  I have a hard-on for McDonalds cheeseburgers and fried chicken....

BlinkBlinkBlinkBlinkBlink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
15-03-2017, 03:04 AM
This is just in reply to the first question of the thread.

I'm not a vegan. I avoid eating pork and beef for health reasons and because of feelings of sympathy towards pigs and cows.

I do eat fish and chicken and I'm less sympathetic towards them. This is purely based on assumptions and feelings. I haven't looked into it much but I assume chickens and fish are less intelligent than cows and pigs. They have less of an emotional, social existence. Chickens are pretty ferocious creatures anyway, they evolved from dinosaurs, they have a strict pecking order, they'll peck to death a mouse if they get the chance and eat that. I don't want to cause chicken and fish pain I just don't feel as guilty about eating them.
I suppose you could call that arbitrary since it's mainly based on feelings but it's also based on health reasons that I think chickena and salmon are healthier than pork and beef.

As for infanticide I'm sure the main reason people find it horrific is because of natural instincts to protect children/babies from harm.
There seems to be some kind of instinct or lack of empathy that drives some people to kill children aswell but I think for the most part people want to protect children.

I think women sometimes have feelings of sadness after an abortion because they think about the potential baby that could be alive rather than any scientific basis of what pain a fetus feels.
In most human women there's the combination of primitive maternal instincts combined with intelligent forsight.

Just going off women I know who had abortions, I think looking at it in cold hard rationality, none of them regret it overall but all of them cried or got emotional about it.
[+] 2 users Like PaulPablo's post
15-03-2017, 04:49 AM
I'm glad we have people here who can talk about these subjects without going into feverish rants. In real life, that has been rare for me. Not that I usually start such conversations anyway; I tend to get ambushed when someone finds things out about me.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
15-03-2017, 05:11 AM
Not to discredit anyone's ideas or opinions on this subject. I just thought this was funny so please take it as that:

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post
15-03-2017, 07:52 AM
(15-03-2017 03:04 AM)PaulPablo Wrote:  As for infanticide I'm sure the main reason people find it horrific is because of natural instincts to protect children/babies from harm.
There seems to be some kind of instinct or lack of empathy that drives some people to kill children aswell but I think for the most part people want to protect children.

I think women sometimes have feelings of sadness after an abortion because they think about the potential baby that could be alive rather than any scientific basis of what pain a fetus feels.
In most human women there's the combination of primitive maternal instincts combined with intelligent forsight.

Just going off women I know who had abortions, I think looking at it in cold hard rationality, none of them regret it overall but all of them cried or got emotional about it.

Finally! Someone on topic. Appreciate it.

I'd now like to take it a step further.
I propose that parents be given the option to 'abort' after birth.
Any arguments against?
Before you say the survival of human race, I am merely suggesting the option to kill the child.

If you were to consider such a law, at what age would you say it should be illegal to ..'send it to Belize' ??

Perhaps one day aborting 3 months inside the womb would be looked at the same as aborting 3 months outside the womb.
15-03-2017, 08:54 AM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2017 09:00 AM by Robvalue.)
Well, it's not an abortion anymore. It's not aborting a pregnancy. It's ending an independent life.

I'm morally against doing that, in general.

From a practical point of view, it wouldn't matter too much I guess, except for emotionally scarring other people who might be involved. Seems rather unfair to the kid, but that's more of a moral issue too.

15-03-2017, 08:58 AM
Hmm well, actually here's a practical problem:

People killing each other's kids and claiming the parents did it.

Oh, and the gene pool possibly getting warped by killing "weaker" children. That's bound to have unforseen effects.

15-03-2017, 09:16 AM
Also... unless it had to be done officially with witnesses, then there's the possibility of claiming to have killed your kid but actually secretly keeping it alive for whatever nefarious purposes.

Establishing the exact age of the kid would also be difficult if the birth wasn't officially recorded.