Veganism better for the planet?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Veganism better for the planet?
So i came across an article that said Veganism is better for the planet and that if every one going vegan would help the earth and what not. I have a feeling there is something wrong with this.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2015, 06:57 PM
RE: Veganism better for the planet?
Cows need to be milked - this is a fundamental part of their physiology. Chickens need to lay eggs - this is a fundamental part of their physiology. Sheep need to be sheared - this is a fundamental part of their physiology. So, taking all of this into account, we're left with "vegetarianism better for the planet".

Assuming each person needs 250g of food per meal to keep themselves satisfied, and assuming three meals per day, that's about 2 trillion kilos per year for the entire population. There isn't enough farmland to accommodate that, AFAIK, taking into account the fact that we still need to feed the aforementioned animals (at least if we want them to survive), so we'd need to clear forests to make way for more farmland. Less forests means species go extinct, food chains collapse, the climate shifts dramatically, and so on. Not good at all.

The only sensible option is to stay true to our nature - we are omnivores. Don't eat too much of anything, but rather maintain a balanced diet composed of... well, a little bit of everything.

EDIT: On the other hand, most vegans that I know of suffer from one or more nutritional deficiencies. If everyone went vegan and most wound up dead from said deficiencies, it could actually help the planet. Less mouths to feed and all that. However, I doubt this is what the argument is trying to say.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
05-04-2015, 06:58 PM
(05-04-2015 06:44 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  So i came across an article that said Veganism is better for the planet and that if every one going vegan would help the earth and what not. I have a feeling there is something wrong with this.

Well over forestation for raising cattle is the largest cause of the destruction of the rainforest. But this a a huge over simplification, so it is just like every other piece of vegan propaganda.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
05-04-2015, 07:09 PM
(05-04-2015 06:57 PM)One Above All Wrote:  Cows need to be milked - this is a fundamental part of their physiology. Chickens need to lay eggs - this is a fundamental part of their physiology. Sheep need to be sheared - this is a fundamental part of their physiology. So, taking all of this into account, we're left with "vegetarianism better for the planet".

Assuming each person needs 250g of food per meal to keep themselves satisfied, and assuming three meals per day, that's about 2 trillion kilos per year for the entire population. There isn't enough farmland to accommodate that, AFAIK, taking into account the fact that we still need to feed the aforementioned animals (at least if we want them to survive), so we'd need to clear forests to make way for more farmland. Less forests means species go extinct, food chains collapse, the climate shifts dramatically, and so on. Not good at all.

The only sensible option is to stay true to our nature - we are omnivores. Don't eat too much of anything, but rather maintain a balanced diet composed of... well, a little bit of everything.

EDIT: On the other hand, most vegans that I know of suffer from one or more nutritional deficiencies. If everyone went vegan and most wound up dead from said deficiencies, it could actually help the planet. Less mouths to feed and all that. However, I doubt this is what the argument is trying to say.

The cows and chickens need to have that done, but there doesn't need to be 1.4 billion cows like there are in the world currently and however many chickens there are.

But there is nothing that will be better for the planet that really humanity can do apart from maybe nuclear energy maybe being able to legitimately irreparably harm it.

The abundance of high numbers of farm animals due to generate our meat do cause plenty of harm to some space, resource, and global warming issues that affect our current human structured societies. Tongue

But then again, that's why i'm eating the cows. I'm trying to lower their numbers!

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
05-04-2015, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2015 07:22 PM by yakherder.)
Warning, psychopathic statement coming from that little environmentalist devil on my shoulder about which I'm only half serious.
I can erase more prospective carbon footprints with a bullet than any individual could with a lifetime of green eating and or environmentalism Tongue. What the world really needs is more war and less people judging the success of their society by its life expectancy and standard of living, both of which are resource surplus reliant.

Fyi, despite being a gun nut, ardent supporter of hunting, and former hunter myself, and former eater of random crap ranging from eggs with duck fetuses inside to roasted tarantula legs, I have been an evil vegetarian for about four years now. I anxiously await the apocalypse, as I'll have the excuse I need to take up hunting again.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
05-04-2015, 07:22 PM
(05-04-2015 07:19 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Warning, psychopathic statement coming from that little environmentalist devil on my shoulder about which I'm only half serious.
I can erase more prospective carbon footprints with a bullet than any individual could with a lifetime of green eating and or environmentalism Tongue. What the world really needs is more war and less people judging the success of their society by its life expectancy and standard of living, both of which are resource surplus reliant.

The war thing is fake right?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
05-04-2015, 07:23 PM
(05-04-2015 07:22 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(05-04-2015 07:19 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Warning, psychopathic statement coming from that little environmentalist devil on my shoulder about which I'm only half serious.

The war thing is fake right?

Meh, half fake.

'Murican Canadian
05-04-2015, 07:34 PM
(05-04-2015 07:23 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(05-04-2015 07:22 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  The war thing is fake right?

Meh, half fake.

Guess the war half is your american side and the other is canadian

[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
05-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Your perception of Canada might be threatened if you hang out with some of the same Canadians as I do Tongue. Some of these prior JTF2 guys make me look like a tight jeans wearing pot smoking hippie, and my Krav Maga classes in Montreal (back when I had time to go) are run by a guy who did exec protection in Israel and trained with IDF. There are enough predatory nutcases just like me if you know where to look Smile

'Murican Canadian
06-04-2015, 06:01 AM
Eat more animals damn it....

signed

The Vegetables

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post