Veganism better for the planet?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2015, 08:54 AM
RE: Veganism better for the planet?
(06-04-2015 08:37 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Here's how life works, guys:
1. 1kg of human needs 10kg of living matter to eat to sustain it
2. If that 10kg of living matter is plant material, we're done = 10kg of food per kg of human
3. If that 10kg of living matter is a herbivore, it needs a further 100kg to sustain it = 110kg of food per kg of human
4. If that 10kg is a carnivore it needs 100kg of herbivore to sustain it, which in turn needs 1000kg of plant material. = 1110kg of food per kg of human
Eating closer to the source of energy in the food chain/web is significantly more efficient than eating near the top of the food chain/web.

So if I drink around 750 L of water I'm good? The answer is no. No I'm not. Because 10 kg of water is not the same as 10 kg of plant material, herbivore, or carnivore. The difference is in the nutrients. The stuff we actually need to live. You can eat 10 kg of cheeseburgers and still die of malnutrition, just like you can eat 10 kg of plant material or herbivore or carnivore and still die of malnutrition.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2015, 10:29 AM
Quote:Cows need to be milked - this is a fundamental part of their physiology.

Holy shit, please tell me you're a dumb city dwelling American because that I could somewhat understand, though not forgive, as to why the level of retardedness of this line was so astronomical.

The stupid, it hurts my brain.

Quote:Chickens need to lay eggs - this is a fundamental part of their physiology.

Sure, but we (as humans) don't need to stuff them in little cages and force feed them egg supplementary feed for the sole purpose of harvesting said eggs.

Quote:Sheep need to be sheared - this is a fundamental part of their physiology.

Because we've breed them to be that way. Wild sheep do not.

Oh, basically what mecanna said.

Quote:Here's how life works, guys:
1. 1kg of human needs 10kg of living matter to eat to sustain it
2. If that 10kg of living matter is plant material, we're done = 10kg of food per kg of human
3. If that 10kg of living matter is a herbivore, it needs a further 100kg to sustain it = 110kg of food per kg of human
4. If that 10kg is a carnivore it needs 100kg of herbivore to sustain it, which in turn needs 1000kg of plant material. = 1110kg of food per kg of human

Huh? That's stupid because not all food provides the same amount of energy.
Meat is higher in energy than say a carrot. You can eat less meat to receive the same amount of calories. 1kg of beef = 3,130 calories. 1kg of carrots equals 410 calories.
You can't say "humans need 10kg for every 1kg" because it's not about weight it's about calories and nutrients. You need to eat X amount of calories to stay the same weight (less to lose weight, more to gain weight). It's something like 2,500 calories a day (though I might be thinking of kj and not kcal).

Plant matter is also not all the same. Cows for example eat grass. Yes they eat a lot of grass but grass is very quick growing so you can move cows around a couple paddocks while the grass grows in the other paddocks. Corn/onions etc.. most vegetables, take up A LOT of space and only 1 crop, maybe 2 depending on the crop and climate, can be grown a year (thus why it takes up a lot of space because you need to grow a lot of it at a time).

The best diet is one that is inclusive and allows you to get not only your recommended calorie intake but your vitamins and protein and shit.
Bit of meat (a steak, a couple sausages whatever) to cover iron and protein and fat, vegetables to cover vitamins and fiber and shit and a bit of toast in the morning to give you that bit more fiber so you can shit properly.

[Image: oscar.png]
06-04-2015, 10:32 AM
(05-04-2015 07:22 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(05-04-2015 07:19 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Warning, psychopathic statement coming from that little environmentalist devil on my shoulder about which I'm only half serious.
I can erase more prospective carbon footprints with a bullet than any individual could with a lifetime of green eating and or environmentalism Tongue. What the world really needs is more war and less people judging the success of their society by its life expectancy and standard of living, both of which are resource surplus reliant.

The war thing is fake right?

Shoot first ask questions later is always a valid philosophy. Thumbsup

Better for the planet? Gaia pops into my consciousness in the skin-tight leather - I'll think about it. But like all other deities, when a motherfucker starts talking for the planet, Imma check twice. Angel

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2015, 10:40 AM
The idea that we need to clear more land if we want to grow more vegetables is hilarious.

The farmland being used for corn (NOT food) in the United States is enough land to feed the planet at its current population. If we stop monocropping grains we will have ample food for everyone. Vegetarian and otherwise.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
06-04-2015, 10:41 AM
(06-04-2015 10:29 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Holy shit, please tell me you're a dumb city dwelling American because that I could somewhat understand, though not forgive, as to why the level of retardedness of this line was so astronomical.

:O
The first time earmuffs called me an idiot! I must make a note of this.
For the record, that's what I was taught at school. Given that there are no wild cows, I assumed they had been bred that way.

(06-04-2015 10:29 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The stupid, it hurts my brain.

I know how you feel. Your stupid hurts my brain too. Wink

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
06-04-2015, 10:42 AM
(06-04-2015 10:40 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  The idea that we need to clear more land if we want to grow more vegetables is hilarious.

The farmland being used for corn (NOT food) in the United States is enough land to feed the planet at its current population. If we stop monocropping grains we will have ample food for everyone. Vegetarian and otherwise.

Motherfuckers go, "my profits." Tongue

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
06-04-2015, 10:43 AM
(06-04-2015 10:41 AM)One Above All Wrote:  The first time earmuffs called me an idiot!

Fucking n00b. Dodgy

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
06-04-2015, 10:47 AM
Hey, plants have feelings, too. Why else would Jesus have cursed a fig tree?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
06-04-2015, 11:10 AM
Yabut from what I hear, that tree was a serious asshole.

Fuckin fig trees.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
06-04-2015, 11:23 AM
(06-04-2015 11:10 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Yabut from what I hear, that tree was a serious asshole.

Fuckin fig trees.

A god wants shit now.

living word