Veganism better for the planet?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2015, 07:47 PM
RE: Veganism better for the planet?
(06-04-2015 10:41 AM)One Above All Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 10:29 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Holy shit, please tell me you're a dumb city dwelling American because that I could somewhat understand, though not forgive, as to why the level of retardedness of this line was so astronomical.

:O
The first time earmuffs called me an idiot! I must make a note of this.
For the record, that's what I was taught at school. Given that there are no wild cows, I assumed they had been bred that way.

(06-04-2015 10:29 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The stupid, it hurts my brain.

I know how you feel. Your stupid hurts my brain too. Wink

You were taught wrong. Your school is fucking retarded and should in no way be teaching this because they don't know shit about how it works.

They are forced to become pregnant (either via bull or artificial insemination) and are kept to produce milk by constant (twice a day) milking longer than what they would if they were left to their own devises. If a cow never gives birth it will never produce milk. It's not like chickens who do just pop out an egg a day, cows don't just produce milk for the sake of it.

OH and while we're on milk and cows, no the brown cows is NOT where chocolate milk comes from.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2015, 08:17 PM
(06-04-2015 08:37 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Here's how life works, guys:
1. 1kg of human needs 10kg of living matter to eat to sustain it
2. If that 10kg of living matter is plant material, we're done = 10kg of food per kg of human
3. If that 10kg of living matter is a herbivore, it needs a further 100kg to sustain it = 110kg of food per kg of human
4. If that 10kg is a carnivore it needs 100kg of herbivore to sustain it, which in turn needs 1000kg of plant material. = 1110kg of food per kg of human
Eating closer to the source of energy in the food chain/web is significantly more efficient than eating near the top of the food chain/web.

Eating predominately plants has a lower environmental footprint than eating predominantly herbivores, which has a lower environmental footprint than eating predominantly carnivores.

Or, we could become cannibals and cure the problem forthwith.
07-04-2015, 07:25 AM
So I probably should have been clearer:
1kg of living predator biomass requires roughly 10kg of prey biomass to live sustainably.

I'm not saying you need to eat 10kg of plant material for each kg of your body. I'm saying 10kg of plant biomass has to exist and continue to exist as a population of prey for the 1kg of predator biomass to be supported. If the prey population has a biomass of 10 ton, the predator population cannot sustain a biomass of more than 1 ton. These are very rough numbers for transfer efficiency between trophic levels of course and biomass is somewhat of a proxy measure for energy production[1]. But again as you cross trophic levels the additional ecological impact increases dramatically. Eating herbivores has about 10x the impact compared to actually being a herbivore.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trophic_lev...efficiency

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
07-04-2015, 07:28 AM
(07-04-2015 07:25 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Eating herbivores has about 10x the impact compared to actually being a herbivore.

And about 10x the yummy. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
07-04-2015, 08:47 AM
(06-04-2015 02:39 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 12:55 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If there was simply less people - say one thousandths of what there is now - you'd be able to eat damned near anything you wanted....

Manatee steaks, with a side of fried eagle eggs for breakfast......

If we could get over that irrational aversion to cannibalism, we could do away with factory farming and solve overpopulation simultaneously.

LOL

Soylent Green anyone???

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
07-04-2015, 06:30 PM
2. If that 10kg of living matter is plant material, we're done = 10kg of food per kg of human
3. If that 10kg of living matter is a herbivore, it needs a further 100kg to sustain it = 110kg of food per kg of human
4. If that 10kg is a carnivore it needs 100kg of herbivore to sustain it, which in turn needs 1000kg of plant material. = 1110kg of food per kg of human
Eating closer to the source of energy in the food chain/web is significantly more efficient than eating near the top of the food chain/web.

Eating predominately plants has a lower environmental footprint than eating predominantly herbivores, which has a lower environmental footprint than eating predominantly carnivores.

Bugs brother. The answer is bugs.

[Image: bug.png]
[Image: bug2.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-04-2015, 06:35 PM
(07-04-2015 06:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Bugs brother. The answer is bugs.

[Image: Nope.jpg]

Besides, I like the proportion of fat in beef. Drooling

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
07-04-2015, 06:46 PM
You can already get insect based protein powder. I haven't tried it, but in the past I've had tarantula legs, silk worm pupae, stir fried ants, and roasted scorpion on a stick. All of the above were quite good except the scorpion, which pretty much tasted like tasteless shrimp shell without the shrimp inside.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
07-04-2015, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2015 06:52 PM by GirlyMan.)
(07-04-2015 06:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-04-2015 06:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Bugs brother. The answer is bugs.

[Image: Nope.jpg]

Besides, I like the proportion of fat in beef. Drooling

We should stick to veal, lamb and suckling pigs. And puppies and kittens. Eat 'em before they have the opportunity to consume more resources.

#sigh
07-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Oh, and grubs, which actually are a lot like shrimp.

'Murican Canadian