Veganism better for the planet?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2015, 06:51 PM
RE: Veganism better for the planet?
(07-04-2015 06:50 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Oh, and grubs, which actually are a lot like shrimp.

[Image: Grumpy-cat-no-5.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-04-2015, 06:54 PM
(07-04-2015 06:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-04-2015 06:50 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Oh, and grubs, which actually are a lot like shrimp.

[Image: Grumpy-cat-no-5.jpg]

Well they are both arthropods

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
08-04-2015, 05:39 AM
I'm happy to each more or less anything.

I've been to China.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
08-04-2015, 06:37 AM
(08-04-2015 05:39 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I'm happy to each more or less anything.

I've been to China.

The above mentioned silk worm pupae and scorpion I tried on Wang Fu Jing street in Beijing.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
08-04-2015, 10:50 AM
One of my vegan friends tried to blame the California water crises on cattle. I wasn't interested in a fight, so I refrained from pointing out that farming (esp. almonds) is using the most ground water.

Cattle, on the other hand are being used to reverse desertification in some areas. I'll look for the TED talk later...

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
08-04-2015, 10:53 AM
I'm vegetarian, and I can safely say that many arguments from vegetarians and vegans are irrational, but that the extent to which meat eaters switch their brains off when trying to argue against vegetarians is unrivalled, and at best matched by religious apologists in their knee-jerkyness. Anyways, my point is of course that I'm superior to both.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
08-04-2015, 11:26 AM
(08-04-2015 10:53 AM)Alex K Wrote:  I'm vegetarian, and I can safely say that many arguments from vegetarians and vegans are irrational, but that the extent to which meat eaters switch their brains off when trying to argue against vegetarians is unrivalled, and at best matched by religious apologists in their knee-jerkyness. Anyways, my point is of course that I'm superior to both.

Actually, of the three categories you listed, vegans are the religious zealots.

Or as Anthony Bourdain called them, "the Hezbollah-like splinter faction of vegetarians."

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
08-04-2015, 11:31 AM
(08-04-2015 11:26 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 10:53 AM)Alex K Wrote:  I'm vegetarian, and I can safely say that many arguments from vegetarians and vegans are irrational, but that the extent to which meat eaters switch their brains off when trying to argue against vegetarians is unrivalled, and at best matched by religious apologists in their knee-jerkyness. Anyways, my point is of course that I'm superior to both.

Actually, of the three categories you listed, vegans are the religious zealots.

Well some maybe, but not entirely. As opposed to them, I on the other hand have to live with the fact that my pov is somewhat inconsistent in that male calves currently still need to be killed by the milk industry.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
08-04-2015, 01:37 PM
(06-04-2015 10:40 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  The idea that we need to clear more land if we want to grow more vegetables is hilarious.

The farmland being used for corn (NOT food) in the United States is enough land to feed the planet at its current population. If we stop monocropping grains we will have ample food for everyone. Vegetarian and otherwise.

Not if the drought in California continues. I watched a storm system literally blow over my head last night, and not one drop of rain fell. We produce so much of the United States' fruits and vegetables. This is a crisis and it's scary.

Should farmers keep growing crops, or sell their water?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/califor...ma-n335696

If we don't start figuring this out, no one in the US will be able to eat at all, let alone choose whether to be a veggie or an omnivore.

https://www.agclassroom.org/kids/stats/california.pdf

A picture says a thousand words.

http://imgur.com/gallery/IgoUq

My point is that I've read articles stating that global vegetarianism would be great for the planet; I've read them stating that things would be marginally better; I've read things saying that vegetarianism is actually worse for the planet. All I know is that, at least in the US, we're kind of screwed regardless.
08-04-2015, 03:51 PM
(08-04-2015 01:37 PM)rexbeccarox Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 10:40 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  The idea that we need to clear more land if we want to grow more vegetables is hilarious.

The farmland being used for corn (NOT food) in the United States is enough land to feed the planet at its current population. If we stop monocropping grains we will have ample food for everyone. Vegetarian and otherwise.

Not if the drought in California continues. I watched a storm system literally blow over my head last night, and not one drop of rain fell. We produce so much of the United States' fruits and vegetables. This is a crisis and it's scary.

Should farmers keep growing crops, or sell their water?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/califor...ma-n335696

If we don't start figuring this out, no one in the US will be able to eat at all, let alone choose whether to be a veggie or an omnivore.

https://www.agclassroom.org/kids/stats/california.pdf

A picture says a thousand words.

http://imgur.com/gallery/IgoUq

My point is that I've read articles stating that global vegetarianism would be great for the planet; I've read them stating that things would be marginally better; I've read things saying that vegetarianism is actually worse for the planet. All I know is that, at least in the US, we're kind of screwed regardless.

While I agree that the situation in California is dire, it only goes to prove my point. A massive portion of the food in North America is grown in California. But it doesn't have to be. Tomatoes grow just fine in South Dakota. Iowa apples are to die for.

If the corn farms are turned into food farms, the pressure on California would be eased, food would be grown closer to the consumer, and with healthy competition (which means an end to grain subsidies) the entire food economy would blossom. I'm not suggesting it would be easy. But there isn't going to be an easy fix to the food issue. At least not until people realize that a mango in Canada SHOULD cost five dollars, and if you want to eat mangoes you should live farther south. Grow food locally, buy food locally, and when a neighbouring province or state has a major drought, they'll be able to look to their neighbours for help.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 6 users Like Stark Raving's post