Veganism better for the planet?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2015, 03:57 PM
RE: Veganism better for the planet?
Absolutely, 100% agreed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2015, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 04:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
(06-04-2015 10:41 AM)One Above All Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 10:29 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Holy shit, please tell me you're a dumb city dwelling American because that I could somewhat understand, though not forgive, as to why the level of retardedness of this line was so astronomical.

:O
The first time earmuffs called me an idiot! I must make a note of this.

It doesn't count until he calls you a stupid cunt.

(06-04-2015 02:39 PM)yakherder Wrote:  If we could get over that irrational aversion to cannibalism, we could do away with factory farming and solve overpopulation simultaneously.

Stay away from the brains.

(05-04-2015 06:44 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  So i came across an article that said Veganism is better for the planet and that if every one going vegan would help the earth and what not. I have a feeling there is something wrong with this.

Not just an article. But a real federally funded report made by real scitists and shit. Big Grin

Consistent evidence indicates that, in general, a dietary pattern that is higher in plant-based foods, such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds, and lower in animal-based foods is more health promoting and is associated with lesser environmental impact (GHG emissions and energy, land, and water use) than is the current average U.S. diet.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-04-2015, 05:05 PM
(08-04-2015 04:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 10:41 AM)One Above All Wrote:  :O

Aww. Sad

(08-04-2015 04:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Stay away from the brains.

(05-04-2015 06:44 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  So i came across an article that said Veganism is better for the planet and that if every one going vegan would help the earth and what not. I have a feeling there is something wrong with this.

Not just an article. But a real federally funded report made by real scitists and shit. Big Grin

Consistent evidence indicates that, in general, a dietary pattern that is higher in plant-based foods, such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds, and lower in animal-based foods is more health promoting and is associated with lesser environmental impact (GHG emissions and energy, land, and water use) than is the current average U.S. diet.

Emphasis on "average U.S. diet". Given that roughly one third of US citizens are obese (that's "obese"; not "big boned", and it's probably not genetic), I'm kinda thinking it's not a good argument for vegetarianism or veganism as being healthier than a balanced omnivore/natural diet (yes, omnivore is the natural diet for our species).

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
08-04-2015, 05:08 PM
(08-04-2015 05:05 PM)One Above All Wrote:  Emphasis on "average U.S. diet". Given that roughly one third of US citizens are obese (that's "obese"; not "big boned", and it's probably not genetic), I'm kinda thinking it's not a good argument for vegetarianism or veganism as being healthier than a balanced omnivore/natural diet (yes, omnivore is the natural diet for our species).

Yup. The food scientists agree with you. Next sentence in the report is "A diet that is more environmentally sustainable than the average U.S. diet can be achieved without excluding any food groups."

#sigh
08-04-2015, 05:10 PM
(08-04-2015 04:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 10:41 AM)One Above All Wrote:  :O

(06-04-2015 02:39 PM)yakherder Wrote:  If we could get over that irrational aversion to cannibalism, we could do away with factory farming and solve overpopulation simultaneously.

Stay away from the brains.

But what about bugs.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
08-04-2015, 05:11 PM
(08-04-2015 05:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 05:05 PM)One Above All Wrote:  Emphasis on "average U.S. diet". Given that roughly one third of US citizens are obese (that's "obese"; not "big boned", and it's probably not genetic), I'm kinda thinking it's not a good argument for vegetarianism or veganism as being healthier than a balanced omnivore/natural diet (yes, omnivore is the natural diet for our species).

Yup. The food scientists agree with you. Next sentence in the report is "A diet that is more environmentally sustainable than the average U.S. diet can be achieved without excluding any food groups."

The first step is to include all the food groups, rather than just steak and barbecue sauce. Tongue

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
08-04-2015, 05:15 PM
(08-04-2015 05:10 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  But what about bugs.

Bugs are the "food of the future", according to what I've read, precisely because you need about 1L of water per kilo of bugs. Additionally nearly 100% of bugs is edible.
Makes me glad I live in the past.

[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
08-04-2015, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 05:32 PM by GirlyMan.)

For that my fine young feathered friend I refer you to the FOOD AND AGRICULTURE ORGANIZATION OF THE UNITED NATIONS. USDA has yet to promote entomophagy because 'Murcans think bugs are yucky instead of tasty. Every 13 and 17 years in Maryland we get a brood of cicadas that is so thick I use a snow shovel to clear them off my driveway.

I eat them alive in season and stick them by the trashbug full in my freezer because ... well, [Image: winter.jpg]

#sigh
08-04-2015, 05:18 PM
(08-04-2015 05:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

For that my fine young feathered friend I refer you to the FOOD AND AGRICULTURE ORGANIZATION OF THE UNITED NATIONS. USDA has yet to promote entomophagy because 'Murcans think bugs are yucky instead of tasty.

Bugs are disgusting. Then again, so is (some) meat.

08-04-2015, 05:58 PM
Veganism better for the planet?
Fuck bugs. Let's just eat all the poor people.