Veganism better for the planet?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2015, 07:06 PM
RE: Veganism better for the planet?
(08-04-2015 05:18 PM)One Above All Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 05:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  For that my fine young feathered friend I refer you to the FOOD AND AGRICULTURE ORGANIZATION OF THE UNITED NATIONS. USDA has yet to promote entomophagy because 'Murcans think bugs are yucky instead of tasty.

Bugs are disgusting. Then again, so is (some) meat.

So is mcdonalds and other fast food chains, but people still eat them.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
08-04-2015, 07:07 PM
You may not appreciate it now. But when zombies are everywhere and we're hiding out in the wilderness and all we've got is a campfire and some random shit I foraged from under a rock and we're still having a gourmet meal while all the other groups of survivors are risking their lives heading into the cities to scrounge around for spam and baby food, you'll be glad I'm around Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
08-04-2015, 07:12 PM
(08-04-2015 07:06 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 05:18 PM)One Above All Wrote:  Bugs are disgusting. Then again, so is (some) meat.

So is mcdonalds and other fast food chains, but people still eat them.

See the "Then again"? That means the argument can be applied to other things. I was conceding that.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
08-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Veganism better for the planet?
(08-04-2015 07:07 PM)yakherder Wrote:  You may not appreciate it now. But when zombies are everywhere and we're hiding out in the wilderness and all we've got is a campfire and some random shit I foraged from under a rock and we're still having a gourmet meal while all the other groups of survivors are risking their lives heading into the cities to scrounge around for spam and baby food, you'll be glad I'm around Tongue

I would cover you in bbq sauce if I was that hungry. You probably taste better than shit that came from under a rock.
08-04-2015, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 08:17 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-04-2015 06:12 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Bugs are great, they just require a different approach to prep them. Plus everyone get squeamish about new food...that normal. But don't write them off as icky til you've had a barbecue with the Stark Lord. They often make it onto the menu, especially if you spill something sweet on it (badum-tis).

But really, cicadas roasted with garlic and rosemary would blow your mind.

Roasting is optional. Drooling

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-04-2015, 08:16 PM
................../

#sigh
08-04-2015, 11:20 PM
(08-04-2015 06:43 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 06:21 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I would rather eat poo crumbs out of someone's ass than eat a bug.

You already eat bugs, you just don't realise it.

Nooooo. Sad You've told me this before, but I refuse to believe it. Sadcryface2

09-04-2015, 06:13 AM
Re: Veganism better for the planet?
Oh, but why do you think flour is traditionally bleached? That's right, to disguise the bug pieces. No bread is safe! Dismembered bug corpses everywhere! Wink
[+] 1 user Likes mecanna's post
09-04-2015, 06:19 AM
(08-04-2015 05:58 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Fuck bugs. Let's just eat all the poor people.

Not enough shock value.

Let's try --

Let's eat the gay, unborn, homeless whales.

Hobo

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-04-2015, 06:24 AM
(05-04-2015 06:57 PM)One Above All Wrote:  Cows need to be milked - this is a fundamental part of their physiology. Chickens need to lay eggs - this is a fundamental part of their physiology. Sheep need to be sheared - this is a fundamental part of their physiology. So, taking all of this into account, we're left with "vegetarianism better for the planet".

Assuming each person needs 250g of food per meal to keep themselves satisfied, and assuming three meals per day, that's about 2 trillion kilos per year for the entire population. There isn't enough farmland to accommodate that, AFAIK, taking into account the fact that we still need to feed the aforementioned animals (at least if we want them to survive), so we'd need to clear forests to make way for more farmland. Less forests means species go extinct, food chains collapse, the climate shifts dramatically, and so on. Not good at all.

The only sensible option is to stay true to our nature - we are omnivores. Don't eat too much of anything, but rather maintain a balanced diet composed of... well, a little bit of everything.

EDIT: On the other hand, most vegans that I know of suffer from one or more nutritional deficiencies. If everyone went vegan and most wound up dead from said deficiencies, it could actually help the planet. Less mouths to feed and all that. However, I doubt this is what the argument is trying to say.
I'm not gonna jump into a big debate about this, because it upsets me too much. Anyone is welcome to PM me about it though.

I had to jump in say this is false, cows don't "need" to be milked. We create that need by repeatedly impregnating them, then removing their young from them. At that point they "need" to be milked. We keep them in a state of near constant pregnancy. We kill many of the young. This is incredibly horrendous for the mother cow, who howls for her stolen babies.

Think about it. Why would a cow keep making milk all the time? What is milk, and why is it produced by an animal? Cows are not magic milk making machines.

Of course this fact is kept well buried because of the suffering the cows are going through. Just one of the reasons I am vegan.

Like I say, I'm not going to come back and debate this as it will upset me. The suffering they go through is unbearable to me and I can't stand anyone denying it or making light of it, I'm not mentally strong enough. But if anyone wants to have a sensible discussion about it, they are welcome to PM me and I can show you links to back up what I'm saying if you don't believe me.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user