Vegetarian Athiests

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2013, 04:31 PM
RE: Vegetarian Athiests
Vegetarian, absolutely, I feel we must minimize our harmful impact on other life if we are to be truly mindful and peaceful, if violence can be avoided it should be. As athiests we are not so arrogant to believe the other creatures were put there for us.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2013, 10:01 PM
I'd love a hotdog, but only if you do em right. I take my tube steak pretty seriously.

I was getting at the in depth discussion about herbivore/omnivore/carnivore. I love ya Free, but you know damn well we are no more carnivores than we are herbivores.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
04-06-2013, 10:45 PM
(24-08-2012 02:54 PM)kim Wrote:  Once upon a time..... in another medium far far away... some Theist accused Atheists of being baby eaters... among other things.
Little did they know, many of us are curious little bastards.... Wink
[Image: babyburito.jpg]

That looks simply adorable!

Needs a little mayo tho

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

05-06-2013, 08:14 AM
(04-06-2013 10:01 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'd love a hotdog, but only if you do em right. I take my tube steak pretty seriously.

I was getting at the in depth discussion about herbivore/omnivore/carnivore. I love ya Free, but you know damn well we are no more carnivores than we are herbivores.

I hate vegetables. I only eat them because my wife makes me do it. I feel violated.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
05-06-2013, 08:19 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2013 08:46 AM by Stephen Charchuk.)
Re: Vegetarian Athiests
Vegatarianism is not as healthy for one as you would think.

http://www.drsidhwa.com/vegetarianism.html

22 Reasons NOT to be a vegetarian.

http://www.westonaprice.org/vegetarianis...vegetarian

Sent From My NEO x5....
05-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Dammit Free! If I've told you once, I've told you a hundred times; that cucumber IS going inside you. One way or the other. The method of entry is entirely up to you. So if you feel violated, it's no ones fault but your own.

.......btw, we are having pineapple for desert. Think carefully before you refuse to eat it.

[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
05-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Re: RE: Vegetarian Athiests
(04-06-2013 10:01 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'd love a hotdog, but only if you do em right. I take my tube steak pretty seriously.

We're all of the above. That is what an omnivore is. There are many advantages to being an omnivore.

Sent From My NEO x5....
05-06-2013, 08:47 AM
The whole point is to properly use terms. If we properly use the terms, we are NOT all of the above. We are neither herbivore nor carnivore. We are omnivores. Period.

Not trying to be argumentative, but it's important, especially in this case, to be very accurate with the labels we choose.

[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
05-06-2013, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2013 10:00 AM by Stephen Charchuk.)
Re: RE: Vegetarian Athiests
(05-06-2013 08:47 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  The whole point is to properly use terms. If we properly use the terms, we are NOT all of the above. We are neither herbivore nor carnivore. We are omnivores. Period.

Not trying to be argumentative, but it's important, especially in this case, to be very accurate with the labels we choose.

Omni= All, every. -vore= To devour. Sounds pretty straight forward to me. In other words all of the above. We eat BOTH animals AND plants. You're being a little anal, not to be insulting.

Sent From My NEO x5....
05-06-2013, 10:43 AM
(04-06-2013 04:31 PM)mysterics Wrote:  Vegetarian, absolutely, I feel we must minimize our harmful impact on other life if we are to be truly mindful and peaceful, if violence can be avoided it should be. As athiests we are not so arrogant to believe the other creatures were put there for us.

What's not believing animals are here for us got to do with anything?

As atheists we should realize the pro's v con's.
There are many pro's towards eating meat, in moderation.
Health, taste and a couple others.

As for animal welfare well you can always buy free range.
Take eggs for example. You can buy battery or you can buy free range or you buy proper free in a paddock range eggs.
Those chickens that live in the paddocks live good lives. They're fed, they have company, they're protected from predators, hell they even have shelter...

If consumer dollar determines things then you spending the extra dollars to buy free range eggs says more then not buying eggs at all.

But not just eggs, meat too. Cows live a good life. Perhaps not dairy cows so much but certainly dry stock (meat). They have plenty to eat and drink, they're kept free from predators. They're allowed to do what comes naturally, eat grass and breed. I'd say they'd be more happy in a paddock with other cows then in the wild. They don't need to worry about predators or finding a mate or finding food etc..

Pigs are like chickens, you buy buy pork and you can buy free range pork.
If you buy free range pork then you increase demand for free range pork and farmers are more likely to go into free range farming if the market/demand is greater...
And again, those pigs have all the mud and food and water and company they could ever need.

Sheep are fine, they're not used for milk and they have plenty of space and such. Sheering their wool off is good for them as they get to hot in the summer.

As for the slaughter of these animals, have you seen it? We use to (my parents still do) raise animals on our back paddock for food. I've seen the butcher come out and kill them many times. Simple shot to the head and the animal is dead. Better then in the wild, dying to diseases or a predator. Have you seen big cat/dog attacks on discovery? it looks unpleasant to say the least...

Humans have stuck together, built walls and protection from predators. We (humans) are pretty bloody domesticated... Why? Because it's a hell of a lot better then getting eatten by a lion that's why!

Do the right thing, have a steak.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post