Vegetarian Athiests

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2013, 10:55 AM
RE: Vegetarian Athiests
(05-06-2013 09:46 AM)Stephen Charchuk Wrote:  
(05-06-2013 08:47 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  The whole point is to properly use terms. If we properly use the terms, we are NOT all of the above. We are neither herbivore nor carnivore. We are omnivores. Period.

Not trying to be argumentative, but it's important, especially in this case, to be very accurate with the labels we choose.

Omni= All, every. -vore= To devour. Sounds pretty straight forward to me. In other words all of the above. We eat BOTH animals AND plants. You're being a little anal, not to be insulting.
Yikes. I may be a little anal, but you seem to be acting a little thick...not to be insulting. Wink

You are correctly defining omnivore. You are incorrectly defining herbivore and carnivore. Which is what I have tried to explain to you since the discussion began. We ARE omnivores. We ARE NOT herbivores. We ARE NOT carnivores.

I have once again spent more time on this than I should have.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have someone here to correct me when I'm already correct. Thumbsup

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
05-06-2013, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2013 12:03 PM by Free.)
(05-06-2013 10:55 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(05-06-2013 09:46 AM)Stephen Charchuk Wrote:  Omni= All, every. -vore= To devour. Sounds pretty straight forward to me. In other words all of the above. We eat BOTH animals AND plants. You're being a little anal, not to be insulting.
Yikes. I may be a little anal, but you seem to be acting a little thick...not to be insulting. Wink

You are correctly defining omnivore. You are incorrectly defining herbivore and carnivore. Which is what I have tried to explain to you since the discussion began. We ARE omnivores. We ARE NOT herbivores. We ARE NOT carnivores.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have someone here to correct me when I'm already correct. Thumbsup

I am a facultative carnivore.

I can be an omnivore if I chose to eat more things other than meat.

If all I ate were things from a vegetarian standpoint, then i would be a herbivore.

In general "humans" are omnivores. However, we don't have to be that way because it can be a choice. If this were not true, then how could anyone be a vegetarian?

Another hotdog?

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
05-06-2013, 12:28 PM
(05-06-2013 11:57 AM)Free Wrote:  
(05-06-2013 10:55 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Yikes. I may be a little anal, but you seem to be acting a little thick...not to be insulting. Wink

I am a facultative carnivore.

If all I ate were things from a vegetarian standpoint, then i would be a herbivore.

In general "humans" are omnivores. However, we don't have to be that way because it can be a choice. If this were not true, then how could anyone be a vegetarian?

Another hotdog?

One can choose to eat herbivorously or carnivorously, but we evolved as omnivores. Biologically, we are omnivores.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
05-06-2013, 12:39 PM
(05-06-2013 12:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-06-2013 11:57 AM)Free Wrote:  I am a facultative carnivore.

Another hotdog?

One can choose to eat herbivorously or carnivorously, but we evolved as omnivores. Biologically, we are omnivores.

Curiously though, some sects of the Hindus have, for millennium, abstained from the consumption of meat. Over that excessive amount of time, would it be correct to consider them omnivores? Would they biologically be determined as omnivores?

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
05-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Re: RE: Vegetarian Athiests
(14-04-2013 09:08 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  I was a lifelong meat and potatoes kind of guy up until recently. Or as Erx said, meat and meat with a side of meat and some sausage gravy on top. I don't mind vegetables, in fact there are some I really like and a few I don't but I just never made it a point to eat a lot of fruits and veggies.

Since I drank smoked and, well anything and everything else that you're not supposed to do for health reasons for my whole life, I've now had to slow down and think about whether or not I want to live past 50, so I've changed my diet completely. I quit milk, which was third to beer and coffee as my favorite drinks, I rarely eat cheese and I've cut my meat intake down to almost nothing.

To be honest, it hasn't been that difficult and given how much better I feel now, I'm not sure I could ever go back to eating like I used to. There has been only one drawback to this change of diet and that's covered in the FARTS thread... I've always been quite proud of my ability to clear a room but now, I can clear a room I'm alone in.

As for the ethical reasons, I've long since had a problem with how livestock is treated, although through my younger days I just plugged my ears, covered my eyes and acted like nothing was happening. I can't do that any more. I don't have any problems with killing animals for food and I don't see humans doing it any differently than animals do it. In fact, short of the process by which veal is slaughtered, I can't imagine a cow going through more agony being shot in the head than a gazelle goes through when being chased, attacked and eaten alive by a lion. Or a group of them. Of course, the environment they're raised in until slaughter is often incredibly inhumane and that's what I take issue with. I have a keen interest in the welfare of animals, so moving away from eating meats has bonus for me on top of the health benefits.

In the end, humans aren't built to consume as much meat as we consume today. We have some shitty little canine teeth and our eyes face forward but that's about all we have in common with carnivores. Our digestive tract and the chemicals it produces are made to digest plant matter with the occasional bit of meat here and there. Just think of being a puny little human in the wild... with only a rock and a stick with which to slay your dinner. Plants are definitely the easier (and safer) choice.

I've read a little bit on the paleo diet and from what I've learned, those who follow it are very happy and very healthy, although I'm not sure I'm prepared to be that devoted. Unsure

It's not just meat we consume too much nowadays. It's everthing. We produce too much food.

Sent From My NEO x5....
05-06-2013, 12:53 PM
(05-06-2013 10:55 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Yikes. I may be a little anal, but you seem to be acting a little thick...not to be insulting. Wink

Whatever turns your crank, sparky.

Sent From My NEO x5....
05-06-2013, 01:01 PM
(05-06-2013 12:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  One can choose to eat herbivorously or carnivorously, but we evolved as omnivores. Biologically, we are omnivores.

It is because we are omnivores that we can choose. Biologically we have features of both. The appendex was once an extra stomach along with some other functions as well. Wisdom teeth from when our jawss were longer. etc,etc.

Sent From My NEO x5....
05-06-2013, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2013 01:42 PM by Stephen Charchuk.)
(05-06-2013 12:39 PM)Free Wrote:  Curiously though, some sects of the Hindus have, for millennium, abstained from the consumption of meat. Over that excessive amount of time, would it be correct to consider them omnivores? Would they biologically be determined as omnivores?

3 or 4 thousand years is not a long enough evolutionary time period for that big a change. They can still get nurishment from meat as proven when many of them move to the West and start eating meat. Plus evolution doesn't work that way. If eating meat were fatal then it would be selected out. Its like our inability to store or produce vitamin C. That defect occured long ago but since it wasn't fatal it wasn't selected out.

Sent From My NEO x5....
05-06-2013, 01:24 PM
(05-06-2013 12:39 PM)Free Wrote:  
(05-06-2013 12:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  One can choose to eat herbivorously or carnivorously, but we evolved as omnivores. Biologically, we are omnivores.

Curiously though, some sects of the Hindus have, for millennium, abstained from the consumption of meat. Over that excessive amount of time, would it be correct to consider them omnivores? Would they biologically be determined as omnivores?

Yes, biologically they are omnivores.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2013, 01:24 PM
What defines us as omnivores is our biology not our choices. A vegetarian is an omnivore that doesn't eat meat. Behavior does not equal biology.

So many cats, so few good recipes.