Vegetarian Athiests

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Re: RE: Vegetarian Athiests
(07-06-2013 01:09 AM)wisergeek Wrote:  I've been a vegetarian for 4 years and will never go back. I am still friends with an ex-work colleague who has been a vegan for a dozen years and will give a stern reason for it. I've also talked with a native american who told me about eating dandelion leafs and roots. I've also read a talk by a Berkeley professor who has said he doesn't eat feedlot meat; he also thinks less than one percent of us vegetarians are correct. I've also met a few permaculture, I currently can't do it, people and would love to give it a venture.

Vegetarianism is purely a choice. It has no real advantages over eating normally. Each is equal when done in moderation.

Sent From My NEO x5....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2013, 12:50 PM
RE: Vegetarian Athiests
The other day I had someone on Tumblr compare a standard diet to religion, and he was really condescending about it.

"I can't reasonably expect humanity on a whole to be evolved yet, so I can't hate meat eaters for something they think is normal. People eat meat because it's traditional and they are trained from a young age to do it, and people are often very comfortable in their outdated traditions and beliefs. Humanity isn't enlightened yet, and is very much run by instinct, so until it is enlightened I have no problem with meat eaters."

All of the replies were like "This is the most reasonable view I've ever seen on this subject!" usual backside kissing of tumblr. To me it just screamed "I'm better than you, but don't worry, I won't hate you for being beneath me."

I may be taking it the wrong way though.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
07-06-2013, 01:01 PM
(07-06-2013 12:50 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  The other day I had someone on Tumblr compare a standard diet to religion, and he was really condescending about it.

"I can't reasonably expect humanity on a whole to be evolved yet, so I can't hate meat eaters for something they think is normal. People eat meat because it's traditional and they are trained from a young age to do it, and people are often very comfortable in their outdated traditions and beliefs. Humanity isn't enlightened yet, and is very much run by instinct, so until it is enlightened I have no problem with meat eaters."

All of the replies were like "This is the most reasonable view I've ever seen on this subject!" usual backside kissing of tumblr. To me it just screamed "I'm better than you, but don't worry, I won't hate you for being beneath me."

I may be taking it the wrong way though.

This guy has absolutely no concept of biology. Or evolution for that matter. Maybe he's not getting enough proper DHA for his brain, or else he's been chewing on some lead based paint chips...

I think that all he cares is that you take it...

Sent From My NEO x5....
07-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Tumblrtard there does have a point insofar as diet is something you first pick up as a child (but, it's not like people can't eat whatever the hell they want once they're older). He IS an idiot (going from 'it's trained' to 'it's instinct' in the course of a paragraph is a special kind of special, massive conflation there) but that one point is true. Our ancestors (hell, and contemporaries, in much of the world) ate meat because the alternatives rely on modern agriculture to be reliably healthy. Which is... modern. So there's that.

Of course, where it REALLY goes off the rails is as a value judgement.

It's a topic where there's plenty of room for an interesting discussion about pros and cons of various dietary measures to be had... but definitely not with that guy!
07-06-2013, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 07:34 AM by Stephen Charchuk.)
(07-06-2013 01:45 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Tumblrtard there does have a point insofar as diet is something you first pick up as a child (but, it's not like people can't eat whatever the hell they want once they're older). He IS an idiot (going from 'it's trained' to 'it's instinct' in the course of a paragraph is a special kind of special, massive conflation there) but that one point is true. Our ancestors (hell, and contemporaries, in much of the world) ate meat because the alternatives rely on modern agriculture to be reliably healthy. Which is... modern. So there's that.

Of course, where it REALLY goes off the rails is as a value judgement.

It's a topic where there's plenty of room for an interesting discussion about pros and cons of various dietary measures to be had... but definitely not with that guy!

Yet we still have some of the longest lifespans. Excess in anything is bad. Moderation is the key. For most of Mankind's early existance the average lifespan was 18 years (Average is not maximum.)

Sent From My NEO x5....
11-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Every day thousands of innocent plants are murdered by vegetarians.

Help end the violence.

Eat a steak, bacon, or have a hotdog.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 2 users Like Free's post
11-06-2013, 02:29 PM
No true atheist can be a vegetarian. Angry
Please pass the baby. Drooling

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-06-2013, 04:04 PM
(11-06-2013 02:19 PM)Free Wrote:  Every day thousands of innocent plants are murdered by vegetarians.

Help end the violence.

Give peas a chance....

Sent From My NEO x5....
[+] 2 users Like Stephen Charchuk's post
11-06-2013, 04:06 PM
(11-06-2013 04:04 PM)Stephen Charchuk Wrote:  
(11-06-2013 02:19 PM)Free Wrote:  Every day thousands of innocent plants are murdered by vegetarians.

Help end the violence.

Give peas a chance....

Agreed.

Lettuce give peas a chance.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
11-06-2013, 04:24 PM
(11-06-2013 04:06 PM)Free Wrote:  
(11-06-2013 04:04 PM)Stephen Charchuk Wrote:  Give peas a chance....

Agreed.

Lettuce give peas a chance.

I'm for whirled peas.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post