Vegetarian Athiests

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2013, 07:20 PM
RE: Vegetarian Athiests
Only 'meat' that passes my lips ain't steak lemmie tell yah LOL
I would imagine a lactose intolerance would surely make a "shitty" veggie...

Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes VoXNiHiLi's post
14-04-2013, 07:29 PM
lol

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
14-04-2013, 09:08 PM
I was a lifelong meat and potatoes kind of guy up until recently. Or as Erx said, meat and meat with a side of meat and some sausage gravy on top. I don't mind vegetables, in fact there are some I really like and a few I don't but I just never made it a point to eat a lot of fruits and veggies.

Since I drank smoked and, well anything and everything else that you're not supposed to do for health reasons for my whole life, I've now had to slow down and think about whether or not I want to live past 50, so I've changed my diet completely. I quit milk, which was third to beer and coffee as my favorite drinks, I rarely eat cheese and I've cut my meat intake down to almost nothing.

To be honest, it hasn't been that difficult and given how much better I feel now, I'm not sure I could ever go back to eating like I used to. There has been only one drawback to this change of diet and that's covered in the FARTS thread... I've always been quite proud of my ability to clear a room but now, I can clear a room I'm alone in.

As for the ethical reasons, I've long since had a problem with how livestock is treated, although through my younger days I just plugged my ears, covered my eyes and acted like nothing was happening. I can't do that any more. I don't have any problems with killing animals for food and I don't see humans doing it any differently than animals do it. In fact, short of the process by which veal is slaughtered, I can't imagine a cow going through more agony being shot in the head than a gazelle goes through when being chased, attacked and eaten alive by a lion. Or a group of them. Of course, the environment they're raised in until slaughter is often incredibly inhumane and that's what I take issue with. I have a keen interest in the welfare of animals, so moving away from eating meats has bonus for me on top of the health benefits.

In the end, humans aren't built to consume as much meat as we consume today. We have some shitty little canine teeth and our eyes face forward but that's about all we have in common with carnivores. Our digestive tract and the chemicals it produces are made to digest plant matter with the occasional bit of meat here and there. Just think of being a puny little human in the wild... with only a rock and a stick with which to slay your dinner. Plants are definitely the easier (and safer) choice.

I've read a little bit on the paleo diet and from what I've learned, those who follow it are very happy and very healthy, although I'm not sure I'm prepared to be that devoted. Unsure

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
14-04-2013, 11:43 PM
.But....but....they taste so good! Lol.

Seriously, I thought some of you might appreciate some pics of chickens being raised the way they should be. These are dual purpose chickens (they are good for meat as well as good egg layers) Not sure which hens we will keep, though likely we'll keep all the girls, but the Roos will go into the freezer this fall. Until then, they get to grow up with tons of space, lots of grass and bugs to eat, and a whole lot of attention. Even our Roos get treated like pets until they make their way to the dinner table.

[Image: ee84899f2ad49a2cfd61235236c7cdc2.jpg]

This girl is my prize hen. All of our hens are Maraduna Basque, and I like to cross them with a cucko maran rooster. This girl is just a perfect example of an awesome hen. To her left is one of our "retirees". When laying hens run out of steam they get to hang out and live out their lives here. Plus, even older, spent laying hens give an egg once in a while.

[Image: 5b3aee4c122de54cd3f8a34ea1336181.jpg]

And yes, for the record, these are the chickens that I will slaughter this fall to feed my family. If only everyone's meat came from birds that were raised like this.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
15-04-2013, 12:00 AM
*joke*
Well I've got a "beef" Laughat with all vegetarians!!
All life is sacred? Angel

At least my veal started off with 4 legs to run away on!! Blink

But all those poor, defenseless wads of lettuce rooted in the cabbage patch soil are utterly powerless against your diabolically, herbivorous machinations, cowering until you run up to chop it's head off Shocking

You MONsters!!! Evil_monster

WinkTongue

15-04-2013, 12:11 AM
(15-04-2013 12:00 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  *joke*

But all those poor, defenseless wads of lettuce rooted in the cabbage patch soil are utterly powerless against your diabolically, herbivorous machinations, cowering until you run up to chop it's head off Shocking

WinkTongue

Ah, one day I'll train my lettuce to run and muh tomatoes to scream, until then, consider me the vile murderer of many a vegetable... no correct that, the term vegetable applies to 90% of the human race, and I just don't have that much room for holes in my back yard...
Only cure for this debate is sticking to a strict liquid diet... beer anyone?

15-04-2013, 12:55 AM
(15-04-2013 12:11 AM)VoXNiHiLi Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 12:00 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  *joke*

WinkTongue

Ah, one day I'll train my lettuce to run and muh tomatoes to scream, until then, consider me the vile murderer of many a vegetable... no correct that, the term vegetable applies to 90% of the human race, and I just don't have that much room for holes in my back yard...

Can I have bacon with my beer? Drooling Pleeeeeeeez!! I'll keep it hidden! Tongue

15-04-2013, 01:00 AM
(15-04-2013 12:55 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 12:11 AM)VoXNiHiLi Wrote:  Ah, one day I'll train my lettuce to run and muh tomatoes to scream, until then, consider me the vile murderer of many a vegetable... no correct that, the term vegetable applies to 90% of the human race, and I just don't have that much room for holes in my back yard...

Can I have bacon with my beer? Drooling Pleeeeeeeez!! I'll keep it hidden! Tongue

I'd say yes, but it sounds horrible... makin the beer all greasy and, and... Can't you just keep the bacon separate?

15-04-2013, 01:04 AM
Bacon makes everything better.

EVERYTHING.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
15-04-2013, 07:20 AM
(15-04-2013 01:04 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Bacon makes everything better.

EVERYTHING.

[Image: bacon-lube.jpg]

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post