Vegetarian Athiests

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 09:06 AM
RE: Vegetarian Athiests
I'm vege (vegan for 10 years), so's half my family and friends.
I guess the link between vegetarianism and atheism that I can see is that they are for people who think. People who have thought about their impact on the world and are not mindless sheep. I'm certainly not saying all meat eaters are sheep tho - I'm saying:

You have meateaters who will say 'I love eating meat. I know an animal was killed for me. I know that a little lamb was killed so I could have something tastly to eat' and thats fine. But there are countless people who eat meat and say 'I've never thought of where meat comes from. I don't want to think that I'm eating a cute baby cow/sheep etc'. To me, that's is being totally ignorant - and tantamount to to a relgious person say 'I believe in God. But I'm going to forget all that horrible stuff in the bible, and the fact that none of it makes sense, and just keep mindlessly believing in this God'.

Can I also say that the people who have posted on here that vegetarianism is 'wrong' somehow because evolution gave us the right teeth for meat... This makes me pretty annoyed! As a vege, I hear this time and time again and it's totally ignorant.

Since when did you last go out and hunt for your food??? No. You most likely went to the supermarket and bought it pre-packaged. HOW IS THAT EVOLUTION???????!

Evolution means that as humans we are far more intelligent and can make choices about what we eat. I choose not to eat meat as as I don't know for sure if the animal was treated humanely and I wouldn't want an animal to suffer because of me. I also care about the planet - and one sure fire way to cut down on our carbon footprint is to stop eating meat.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2013, 09:20 AM
You missed the point about evolution. We as humans have evolved to eat both meat and vegetation. Infact our digestive system is more efficient at breaking down meat than it is vegetation.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
15-04-2013, 10:33 AM
(14-04-2013 09:08 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  I was a lifelong meat and potatoes kind of guy up until recently. Or as Erx said, meat and meat with a side of meat and some sausage gravy on top. I don't mind vegetables, in fact there are some I really like and a few I don't but I just never made it a point to eat a lot of fruits and veggies.

Since I drank smoked and, well anything and everything else that you're not supposed to do for health reasons for my whole life, I've now had to slow down and think about whether or not I want to live past 50, so I've changed my diet completely. I quit milk, which was third to beer and coffee as my favorite drinks, I rarely eat cheese and I've cut my meat intake down to almost nothing.

To be honest, it hasn't been that difficult and given how much better I feel now, I'm not sure I could ever go back to eating like I used to. There has been only one drawback to this change of diet and that's covered in the FARTS thread... I've always been quite proud of my ability to clear a room but now, I can clear a room I'm alone in.

As for the ethical reasons, I've long since had a problem with how livestock is treated, although through my younger days I just plugged my ears, covered my eyes and acted like nothing was happening. I can't do that any more. I don't have any problems with killing animals for food and I don't see humans doing it any differently than animals do it. In fact, short of the process by which veal is slaughtered, I can't imagine a cow going through more agony being shot in the head than a gazelle goes through when being chased, attacked and eaten alive by a lion. Or a group of them. Of course, the environment they're raised in until slaughter is often incredibly inhumane and that's what I take issue with. I have a keen interest in the welfare of animals, so moving away from eating meats has bonus for me on top of the health benefits.

In the end, humans aren't built to consume as much meat as we consume today. We have some shitty little canine teeth and our eyes face forward but that's about all we have in common with carnivores. Our digestive tract and the chemicals it produces are made to digest plant matter with the occasional bit of meat here and there. Just think of being a puny little human in the wild... with only a rock and a stick with which to slay your dinner. Plants are definitely the easier (and safer) choice.

I've read a little bit on the paleo diet and from what I've learned, those who follow it are very happy and very healthy, although I'm not sure I'm prepared to be that devoted. Unsure

Do you drink milk/eat dairy?

Quote:I'm vege (vegan for 10 years), so's half my family and friends.
I guess the link between vegetarianism and atheism that I can see is that they are for people who think. People who have thought about their impact on the world and are not mindless sheep. I'm certainly not saying all meat eaters are sheep tho - I'm saying:

You have meateaters who will say 'I love eating meat. I know an animal was killed for me. I know that a little lamb was killed so I could have something tastly to eat' and thats fine. But there are countless people who eat meat and say 'I've never thought of where meat comes from. I don't want to think that I'm eating a cute baby cow/sheep etc'. To me, that's is being totally ignorant - and tantamount to to a relgious person say 'I believe in God. But I'm going to forget all that horrible stuff in the bible, and the fact that none of it makes sense, and just keep mindlessly believing in this God'.

Can I also say that the people who have posted on here that vegetarianism is 'wrong' somehow because evolution gave us the right teeth for meat... This makes me pretty annoyed! As a vege, I hear this time and time again and it's totally ignorant.

Since when did you last go out and hunt for your food??? No. You most likely went to the supermarket and bought it pre-packaged. HOW IS THAT EVOLUTION???????!

Evolution means that as humans we are far more intelligent and can make choices about what we eat. I choose not to eat meat as as I don't know for sure if the animal was treated humanely and I wouldn't want an animal to suffer because of me. I also care about the planet - and one sure fire way to cut down on our carbon footprint is to stop eating meat.

Do you drink milk/eat dairy? I'm guessing no because your a vegan, but some vegetarians eat fish, others eat chicken. It's hard to keep up with who eats what and who doesn't eat what these days.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
15-04-2013, 05:57 PM
(15-04-2013 07:20 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 01:04 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Bacon makes everything better.

EVERYTHING.

[Image: bacon-lube.jpg]

OMG....... I might be vegan, but that is just awesome LOL

Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.
15-04-2013, 07:43 PM
(15-04-2013 10:33 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Do you drink milk/eat dairy?

Excerpted from my post...

"I quit milk~"

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2013, 08:06 PM
(15-04-2013 09:20 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Infact our digestive system is more efficient at breaking down meat than it is vegetation.

No it isn't. From the saliva we soak our food with to our smaller, more complex stomach to our very long intestines, we are much better suited for digesting plant matter than flesh. Carnivores and omnivores can process rotting flesh, while it makes us ill if it's just on the verge of rot.

Our teeth and facial structure also much more resembles that of an herbivore. We have flat molars, very short canines and our oral cavity is larger, which allows us to hold a lot of food in out mouths while we grind it with our molars and while digestions starts in our mouths. Carnivores swallow whole chunks of food with very little to no chewing. Also, carnivore jaws are hinged only one direction, where herbivore jaws can move side to side, to aid in crushing and grinding plant matter before we swallow, so that we're able to extract more nutrients from it during digestion.

There are a ton of other features of humans that mirror those of herbivores, while there aren't even a lot found in us that are found in omnivores... let alone carnivores.

In the end, we are made to eat plants but, we can tolerate some flesh. And, I suppose that if we continue to eat a meat rich diet for a few million more years, we might well evolve into omnivores. Big Grin

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
15-04-2013, 10:50 PM
(15-04-2013 07:43 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 10:33 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Do you drink milk/eat dairy?

Excerpted from my post...

"I quit milk~"

So you also quit cheese? butter? other dairy products?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
16-04-2013, 06:48 AM
Re: Vegetarian Athiests
I love meat, and other protein sources. Besides meat, all sorts of beans, soy, lupini, etc etc.And plants. All of the plants

I try to keep my diet as diverse, fresh and healthy as possible. That is the only proper diet there really is, unless you get perscribed something by a dietician(not a nutritionist) for a medical condition or ethnic background. Everything else is a fad diet and incomplete.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBlackKnight's post
16-04-2013, 07:24 AM
(15-04-2013 10:50 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 07:43 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Excerpted from my post...

"I quit milk~"

So you also quit cheese? butter? other dairy products?

The rest of that sentence:

"~which was third to beer and coffee as my favorite drinks, I rarely eat cheese and I've cut my meat intake down to almost nothing. "

As for other dairy products, I use low fat margarine with no milk and I don't avoid foods prepared with dairy ingredients, so long as they're not the primary ingredient.

16-04-2013, 06:57 PM
I quit eating meat in 1983. Before that I never liked the idea of eating animals and found my choices of meat revolved around which ones looked less like an animal. For example it was easier for me to eat hamburger because it looked nothing like a cow but harder to eat a roasted chicken because it looked exactly like what it was....a chicken with his head and legs cut off. That was my feeling even in childhood.