Venting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Venting
Excuse me while I vent for a minute. Those of you who have read my other posts know that I still go to church because my non-belief is still a secret from my Christian loved ones.

OK, so apparently an atheist couple came to my church a couple weeks ago because they were invited by a friend- they just came to see a special video our church made and to support this friend who was in the video. According to one of the church leaders, they are believers now. The thing that converted them was the fact that our church services are different than other traditional churches. Dodgy

This is upsetting to me. Why would your belief in God change just because my church isn't like other churches? I feel like people at my church almost feel like they have bragging rights because they “reached” the atheists. All the bragging about how much our church “loves” people is nauseating- it’s not love, they just want to attract people so the church will grow and become a mega church. Don’t even get me started on mega churches. Lol UGH.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2013, 11:04 AM
RE: Venting
I just don't get how an atheist can start believing BS all of a sudden. It makes no sense to me.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
25-03-2013, 11:16 AM
(25-03-2013 11:04 AM)Dom Wrote:  I just don't get how an atheist can start believing BS all of a sudden. It makes no sense to me.
Me neither. They have only been coming for a few weeks. Maybe a month. How do you make such a big change based off of a few church services?

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
25-03-2013, 11:19 AM
That is slightly disturbing.

We need to remember though that even atheists are susceptible to things. We aren't superhuman or special or anything. Hopefully they find a way to recover and pull themselves out again.

The Out Crowd.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
25-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Who said they were atheist? I don't put it past a clergyman to lie and say they were when the truth is that they probably were just inactive believers.

That or, as Hobbitgirl said, all atheists aren't rational. Just look how many of them support war and taxation and then claim to understand morality.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2013, 11:55 AM
(25-03-2013 11:19 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  That is slightly disturbing.

We need to remember though that even atheists are susceptible to things. We aren't superhuman or special or anything. Hopefully they find a way to recover and pull themselves out again.
This is true. It happens to lots of people. I live in a small religious town where atheist is a bad word, so I was almost excited to have someone who believed like me!

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
25-03-2013, 12:00 PM
(25-03-2013 11:43 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Who said they were atheist? I don't put it past a clergyman to lie and say they were when the truth is that they probably were just inactive believers.

That or, as Hobbitgirl said, all atheists aren't rational. Just look how many of them support war and taxation and then claim to understand morality.
I wouldn't put it past him either. He really is stuck on having a mega church.

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
27-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Hope you don't mind me saying this but why is your non belief still a secret and how can you stand going to church after being an atheist?
27-03-2013, 09:11 AM
(27-03-2013 08:27 AM)Mohit Mago Wrote:  Hope you don't mind me saying this but why is your non belief still a secret and how can you stand going to church after being an atheist?

It's definitely not easy. Both me and my husband almost just wanna tell people and get it over with already. We feel it would be wise to wait a little bit until we can figure out how to soften the blow. We realize that, in the eyes of our loved ones, this is a life and death situation. So, with that in mind, we want to spend some time opening their minds to the world before we use the dreaded "A" word. We've been trying to figure out conversations to bring up that will free up their minds a bit. Any advice is much appreciated. Smile

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
27-03-2013, 09:49 AM
(27-03-2013 09:11 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  It's definitely not easy. Both me and my husband almost just wanna tell people and get it over with already. We feel it would be wise to wait a little bit until we can figure out how to soften the blow. We realize that, in the eyes of our loved ones, this is a life and death situation. So, with that in mind, we want to spend some time opening their minds to the world before we use the dreaded "A" word. We've been trying to figure out conversations to bring up that will free up their minds a bit. Any advice is much appreciated. Smile

If your family is fundamentalist, there's really nothing you can do to soften the blow. If you try to throw too much out there they will become suspicious and, perhaps, trap you into telling them you're atheists. If that happens, it will only serve to reinforce their suspicion that atheists are sneaky, conniving people. And obviously, not enough "mind opening" will do no good either. As hard as it may sound, I think the best approach you can take is to just sit them down and explain it to them in a calm, rational manner. After that, demonstrate that atheists aren't the malcontents they think we are by living your lives with integrity, honesty and happiness.

In the end, it may cost you your family. But, better your family than your happiness or worse, your sanity.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post