Venting About Typical Believer Crap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Venting About Typical Believer Crap
I am very new to this forum, and I hope it's OK that I vent here for a moment. I am an atheist, always have been, but I also recognize that some people need/enjoy/can't find their way out of faith, and that's fine, as long as they are respectful to my family and me. But man, oh, man, some of the stuff I see (for instance, on Facebook) written by friends/acquaintances, I just want to scream; I don't, I just try to ignore, but I still feel like I need an outlet in which to vent.

Don't you just love something like this (and I will edit it a bit for privacy and length):

An update on my dad and I have some positive news! When we arrived at the hospital today we found that [insert lots of medical jargon and wonderful news, etc.]. We made tremendous progress today. For the first time since yesterday I am allowing myself some cautious optimism. Maybe we will get a reprieve after all. Now how can you not believe in God after something like this?

Well, my short and sweet answer is: EASY! Just like the Facebook post that the TA put on the other day about the model/journalist whacked by the airplane propeller, I hate this "Oh, with the Lord's help..." and "How can you not believe in God when..." Thank you, science; thank you, talented doctors; thank you, skilled nursing team; thank you, already healthy person able to fight back for a while.

And does she want my answer? No. Ten or 15 years ago, had Facebook existed, I would have probably responded with "Nope, still don't believe, but glad your dad is doing better today." I won't be rude and answer with anything contrary to her beliefs - it's just not necessary since she's not really asking me directly - but I can't even click "Like" in this case!

Funny thing is, this time last year, minus one week, my Dad was in the exact same situation, down to many of the details she mentioned in this morning's post. He died anyway. Gee, guess I should have believed in God, huh? Guess I should have asked people to pray, huh? Two summers ago, my daughter had a mystery brain illness, very frightening, and not once did my husband and I think about asking some god for help, BUT a Baptist I know asked a gazillion people to pray for our daughter, and she's just convinced that is what got her better. Sigh.

OK, vent over. Again, I am new here, and I did read the rules, but I probably did not digest them all fully, and if I have broken a rule by posting this way or in this section, my sincere apologies! Honestly, it's nice to have a safe place to vent, where people will more than likely "get" what I am saying.

(On a positive note, my daughter - she's just turned 8 - is an atheist, as well, and not only has her school dealt with it very well, she found out another little boy in her class is also an atheist, apparently the family is.)

Judy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like JumpinJude's post
09-12-2011, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2011 07:43 AM by k37713.)
RE: Venting About Typical Believer Crap
Welcome Judy! I think all of us can relate with you! This always cheers me up. Read some funnies at our not so enlightened buddies expense.. haha

http://http://thethinkingatheist.com/for...t-religion

(09-12-2011 07:32 AM)k37713 Wrote:  Welcome Judy! I think all of us can relate with you! This always cheers me up. Read some funnies at our not so enlightened buddies expense.. haha

http://http://thethinkingatheist.com/for...t-religion

My link didn't work Confused

It is a thread on this forum in the casual coffee house. Favorite pictures for a laugh at religion.

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
09-12-2011, 08:15 AM
I can't stand FB preachers either. My sister is supposedly 'born again'. She had a rough several years and after drugs, alcohol, cheating on her husband, and hating her family she straightened up. For whatever reason she led herself to church and apparently it's been helping. So I'm glad for that but she gives thanks for all of it to god. Then she posts things on FB like "Sean got to come home from work early. God must have known he wanted to spend time with his family".

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
09-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Thank you for the welcome!

Yeah, you know, I have always thought, "Wow, I hope I never get addicted to something that requires a 12-step kind of program - I'd be screwed." I think most of the major ones require the belief in a higher power, and they don't include the Flying Spaghetti Monster I'm bettin'.

I am lucky - my husband is completely on the same page as me when it comes to religion (he hates organized religion even more than I do), my Mom, a casually-practicing Jew who believes in God, allows me to vent (I am respectful) and is glad to know how our daughter's school is totally cool when it comes to her being an atheist (she doesn't say the pledge, so it is more than just her not practicing a religion), and I have friends with whom I can talk to about this stuff - oh, and not to mention the atheists I have met on FB... but anyway, I am still quite thankful there's a great way to read about other atheists' experiences, advice, issues, and funny stories.
09-12-2011, 09:35 AM
(09-12-2011 09:11 AM)JumpinJude Wrote:  Thank you for the welcome!

Yeah, you know, I have always thought, "Wow, I hope I never get addicted to something that requires a 12-step kind of program - I'd be screwed." I think most of the major ones require the belief in a higher power, and they don't include the Flying Spaghetti Monster I'm bettin'.

FSM is fine as a higher power; anything is. There is a spectrum of 'belief' in 12-Step programs from born-agains to atheists.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-12-2011, 09:41 AM
(09-12-2011 09:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  

FSM is fine as a higher power; anything is. There is a spectrum of 'belief' in 12-Step programs from born-agains to atheists.

Wow, that's a relief - and no, I am not being facetious, I really mean it. I can't imagine what it would be like to have an addiction and want/need help, but not have it be relevant or possible. I guess in my case, I really don't have ANY belief in any higher power, I don't feel spiritual... but maybe they really do have a way for even someone like me to deal with it. That's good. (I hope the FSM forgives me, LOL... I still like my magnet and sticker.)
09-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Facebook is the devil's work. Hey, how come there ain't no anti-FSM to blame alla this evil on? Tongue

And people who don't respect the science and the work of professionals are just ignorant. But feel free to vent, we all do it on occasion; and welcome to the forum. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
09-12-2011, 09:58 AM

I am lucky - my husband is completely on the same page as me when it comes to religion (he hates organized religion even more than I do), my Mom, a casually-practicing Jew who believes in God, allows me to vent (I am respectful) and is glad to know how our daughter's school is totally cool when it comes to her being an atheist (she doesn't say the pledge, so it is more than just her not practicing a religion), and I have friends with whom I can talk to about this stuff - oh, and not to mention the atheists I have met on FB... but anyway, I am still quite thankful there's a great way to read about other atheists' experiences, advice, issues, and funny stories.

I attended AA as an atheist and did just fine. Your higher power can be anything. Mine was the collective goal of the group.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 3 users Like germanyt's post
09-12-2011, 10:24 AM
If you're looking for a higher power to use for AA I can offer myself. Plenty of people believe in me as their savior...or destroyer depending on who you ask.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 3 users Like Hamata k's post
09-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Hey Jude (Beatles pun intended), venting is part of what this forum is about. Most of us, if not all have vented at one time or other here. Yours was short, sweet and very well written.

Let us be happy that secular laws prevent christians from legally killing people for being atheists, like they have done in the past, and still do in some parts of the world today. We have it better than atheists in the past, but the stupidity of fundamentalists is still very hard to take.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
[+] 2 users Like No J.'s post