[Venting] College teacher sent me religious email.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
31-12-2014, 11:10 AM
RE: [Venting] College teacher sent me religious email.
(30-12-2014 12:45 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(20-12-2014 09:27 PM)jojorumbles Wrote:  So a few days ago my college teacher, who is directly in charge of one of my most important grades in the entire degree, found out I'm an atheist and sent me this email:

I was pissed. I really wanted to fire back and knock him down verbally, but he's in charge of my capstone grade, one of the most important grades I need for this degree. This teacher is the kind of guy who's very imposing and doesn't know when to back down or leave someone alone.

In an attempt to keep things civil yet get the point across, here was my response:

This teacher often speaks and proselytizes in class. He inserts religious questions into quizzes which have absolutely nothing to do in any way with the subject material (business development class). Even his response to my request seemed like he was trying to bait me into a "debate".

Later on, he went on to discuss proof of god in class, not at me directly, but for the whole class in general. All the while, giving me a condescending sneer. It really ticked me off to the point I went to my program director. I taddle telled on him. This was her response:

Hopefully she'll put the fear of his god into him and make him think twice before proselytizing in the classroom again. That was Thursday and my next class with that teacher is on Monday. Fingers crossed.

Anyways, thanks for listening.

Like it or not, you can't argue with truth.

Like it or not this is a moderated section. If you don't have something supportive to say, don't say anything at all.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
01-01-2015, 05:42 PM
(30-12-2014 11:14 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Hey, any update on whether the nutbar was put back in his wrapper? I love success stories, so please share!
Currently he hasn't spoken about it, but he does give me the snarky "I'm better than you" looks, and he gives an exacerbated sigh and a shake of his head before calling my name out on the attendance sheet.

He's also calling me by my old name on purpose. I'm trans and I had my legal name changed. I had it changed at the school and he should have received an updated copy of the attendance sheet. I'm not sure if he did, but he knows my name was legally changed and still calls me by my old name.
01-01-2015, 05:53 PM
(01-01-2015 05:42 PM)jojorumbles Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 11:14 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Hey, any update on whether the nutbar was put back in his wrapper? I love success stories, so please share!
Currently he hasn't spoken about it, but he does give me the snarky "I'm better than you" looks, and he gives an exacerbated sigh and a shake of his head before calling my name out on the attendance sheet.

He's also calling me by my old name on purpose. I'm trans and I had my legal name changed. I had it changed at the school and he should have received an updated copy of the attendance sheet. I'm not sure if he did, but he knows my name was legally changed and still calls me by my old name.
Sounds like retaliation. Something to call in?

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
01-01-2015, 05:53 PM
(01-01-2015 05:42 PM)jojorumbles Wrote:  

The guy’s a douche. You have him by the short hairs and he doesn’t like it.

I guess you could handle the name issue one of two ways, call him on it in the middle of class or don’t let him know it bothers you in the least.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-01-2015, 06:15 PM
(01-01-2015 05:53 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 05:42 PM)jojorumbles Wrote:  Currently he hasn't spoken about it, but he does give me the snarky "I'm better than you" looks, and he gives an exacerbated sigh and a shake of his head before calling my name out on the attendance sheet.

The guy’s a douche. You have him by the short hairs and he doesn’t like it.

I guess you could handle the name issue one of two ways, call him on it in the middle of class or don’t let him know it bothers you in the least.

This. Calling him out on it would be appropriate, and there wouldn't be much to he could do.

He's an asshole, no doubt about it.
01-01-2015, 10:47 PM
Dear Doctor "Know"

I greatly respect your knowledge in the field of XYZ of which I am enthusiastically learning very much. Thank you very much for this, I always look forward to attending this class and learning more about XYZ.

On the matter of God and Christianity, if I ever become interested in Christian mythology I will look towards people with appropriate credentials on the matter. I don't mean to offend you and I hope you can respect that just as a religious leader would not be the correct person to gain knowledge of XYZ, a qualified teacher of XYZ is not necessarily the best person to talk to about supernatural matters.

Currently my focus is on attaining an education with a future goal of gaining a means to pay my future bills (cost of living, buying a home, cost of marriage and kids etc)

I appreciate your concerns but would appreciate even more your continued focus towards me better understanding XYZ.
01-01-2015, 10:51 PM
(01-01-2015 05:42 PM)jojorumbles Wrote:  He's also calling me by my old name on purpose. I'm trans and I had my legal name changed. I had it changed at the school and he should have received an updated copy of the attendance sheet.
This sounds like a serious matter and seems reportable.

Put this fucker in his place!
You pay for your education right? He works for you, you are the customer.