Venting, again...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Venting, again...
It was my fault. I had a slow day at work, so I figured I'd catch up on some podcasts while getting some work done. I saw a customer coming in (I work in a cellphone store) and paused my podcast. Unfortunately, I didn't turn off my screen. The customer sees "The Thinking Atheist" on the screen and puts two and two together.

Fast forward two hours, this lady is still here. She's not only an old codger, but a minister. She tells me how she knew that Jesus died for her on the cross upon asking god into her heart after being confused following waking up from a stroke. Okay, not only does that NOT prove anything remotely close, but how come I don't believe that when your brain was in recovery mode that it wasn't capable of doing weird things like visceral hallucinations?

You've all heard it. We're going to hell. We're sinners. But I don't believe in hell, or sin. We hash over all the normal stuff that we hear on countless podcasts. Since she's a customer, I have to maintain a sense of professional courtesy.

I asked her to leave a couple of times, she would not comply. She's going home to pray for me...whatever. Do what you want, lady.

If you know my earlier posts, you know that my boss is incredibly religious. I think he's aware of my non-belief, but we just don't talk about it. I'm about to move to Texas, and I'm relying on his recommendation for job help down there.

First off, from you, I just want to thank you for letting me vent. I could go on, but I don't want to get too wordy and get more worked up than I already am.

Secondly, how do I handle this if she comes back? I feel walked on when I let these people just come in and tell me I'm a lesser person than they are, but I don't want to tell a customer off and risk my job. Do I just let her keep saying her piece or do I recuse myself, or what? Today I was by myself so I couldn't go anywhere, so I can't leave in those situations.

Thanks for reading, folks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2013, 03:07 PM
RE: Venting, again...
I'm sorry you had to through that. Some people are just jerks. And they're taught they must convert people....

It's built into their dogma.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Quote:Fast forward two hours, this lady is still here.

I lol'd so hard.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
22-07-2013, 07:54 PM
The first part of the message I typed was part of my ruse to make it look like I was working when all I was trying to do was ignore her.
[+] 2 users Like sleepsoldier's post
22-07-2013, 08:18 PM
I am always amazed by the way some theists think they are completely entitled to just preach away at anyone they want. It never occurs to them that their views aren't something everyone wants to hear.

Sorry to hear you went through that. By law, your employer has no legal right to mention your religious or non-religious leanings in a referral. Most people that are involved in HR know that. There are simply some questions you aren't supposed to ask or answer. Your job performance should be the basis of any conversation between your present and any future employer and even that can be limited.

If she comes back in...maybe you should suddenly need to use the restroom...or tell her that you aren't comfortable talking about personal things with customers.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
23-07-2013, 05:21 AM
Put a sign on the desk or whatever.
"employees are strictly ordered to hold a profesional relationship with costumers. Under no circumstances may he/she talk about personal things" when you see her

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
[+] 2 users Like Lightvader's post
23-07-2013, 05:31 AM
(22-07-2013 01:52 PM)sleepsoldier Wrote:  Secondly, how do I handle this if she comes back?

This...

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 3 users Like frankiej's post
23-07-2013, 06:09 AM
Why mix the private life and the work ? I don't know why did you mix the private life and your work. I still used the computers of my school for homework , researches about exposes , exercises etc... because mix private life and work can be problematic. Likewise I have two USB keys (one for school and another for my life of everyday).
[+] 1 user Likes viocjit's post
30-07-2013, 05:57 PM
I dont tend to mix private life with work. This one time, though...

She called back today to complain about her service (cellphone service) and not so smoothly goes into talking about how I'm an atheist. My phone calls at work are monitored, so she must know this. She kept pushing my buttons and being that I'm a good worker, I let her say her piece as not to be rude.

She then launched into a tirade about how the jews are going to have their eyes opened by god, as outlined in scripture. Not sure where it says that...I've read the bible, and from what I can tell, the writers and the people of the area in which the books were written would be classified as jewish. Anyway, at that point, the phone I was on lost battery and died.

10 minutes later, my boss calls and says I have to go to her house tomorrow because she requested I come see if it's a service issue or her phones.

More to follow, I'm sure...I have a feeling this has little to do with phones but more of a ploy to get me into a situation where she can convert me.
30-07-2013, 06:33 PM
(22-07-2013 01:52 PM)sleepsoldier Wrote:  Secondly, how do I handle this if she comes back? I

They came, they saw and acknowledged
Some good, some bad
Opinion: Dangerous