Veridican Argument for the Existence of God

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 1.8 Average
29-04-2013, 12:15 PM
RE: Veridican Argument for the Existence of God
Quote:1. If something is unreal, it cannot support something that is real.
2. Perception proves its reality.
3. The perception of something unreal is either illusion or hallucination.

I don't know if anyone has questioned the #2 alleged axiom ... but if it is necessary to this discussion...

Perception proves its reality. This sentence is incomplete or at least, the word "its" needs greater definition.

Does it refer to the previous sentence's thing which is unreal? That, perception proves the unreal to be real? Be assured, perception does not prove anything of the sort.

Perhaps it refers to itself; that perception proves it's own reality. ? Perception in and of itself, is simply perception and therefore is subjective; perception is subject to one's own mind and sensory experience. One can have a hallucination and possibly think it to be somewhat "real" however, it is still only "real" to that one person.

One can have a hallucination and induce others to have the same or similar hallucination by exploiting another's vulnerabilities (fear, physical & emotional hardship, hope, envy, etc.,) while describing said hallucination ad nauseam.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
29-04-2013, 12:22 PM
(29-04-2013 12:15 PM)kim Wrote:  while describing said hallucination ad nauseam.

Ah, the famous hallutio ad nauseam logic technique beloved of religious philosophers Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-04-2013, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2013 02:13 PM by Buddy Christ.)
Time is unreal? Well fantastic! That means that not only did a man name Jesus never exist, he also didn't die for my sins, being that "existed" and "died" are both past tense terms.

My atheism has been strengthened. Thanks Egor!

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
29-04-2013, 12:54 PM
RE: Veridican Argument for God: Premises 1,2
(29-04-2013 12:10 AM)Egor Wrote:  Part Two: The Basic Premises

1. Time is unreal.

Time is the progress of change and requires the reality of the past and future. However, according to axiom 1, something that is unreal cannot support something that is real. The past is unreal and the future is unreal. Therefore, time must be unreal. If one says the past is real, one finds they can never prove it. Thus, according to axiom 4, the past is unreal. The future has not happened yet. If one sets out to prove the future is real, one faces the fact that there has never been a future, only a present moment. In cases of precognition, where the future is predicted or wittnessed in the mind, this can never be confirmed until it happens, and it always happens in the present moment.

2. Motion is unreal.

This is necessarily true if premise 1 is true.

Keep going sir. I want to see the full breadth of your argument.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
29-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Quote:1. If something is unreal, it cannot support something that is real.

Money. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
29-04-2013, 01:01 PM
(29-04-2013 12:51 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Time is unreal? Well fantastic! That means that not only did a man name Jesus never exist, he also didn't die for my sins, being that "existed" and "died" are both past tense terms.

My atheist has been strengthened. Thanks Egor!

Past tense. Your argument is invalid.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
29-04-2013, 01:01 PM
We need a modicum of proof. Magic. God appearing and splitting the sea and raining fire on the sinners. The story of the Bible not being so historically inaccurate and contradictory. Discovering that all science since forever has really been carried out by the lizard people to deceive us...

I am very disappointed. Instead we have exactly what every other argument has been - a philosophical rambling that fails to address the evidence or make sense without us having to accept some metaphysical premises that are not falsifiable.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
29-04-2013, 01:03 PM
(29-04-2013 01:01 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-04-2013 12:51 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Time is unreal? Well fantastic! That means that not only did a man name Jesus never exist, he also didn't die for my sins, being that "existed" and "died" are both past tense terms.

Present perfect. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
29-04-2013, 02:21 PM
The past exists, regardless of whether or not you can perceive or comprehend it.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
29-04-2013, 02:38 PM
(29-04-2013 01:01 PM)morondog Wrote:  

I assure you our atheism is constantly given present strength by anything, and everything Little Eddy Gordon, says, and does.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.