Veridican Argument for the Existence of God

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 1.8 Average
29-04-2013, 03:55 PM

RE: Veridican Theory of God: The Dream Universe
(29-04-2013 03:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  Faith kills people, knowledge saves them.

Hey Chas, take this as a professional opinion: Nobody survives.
Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2013, 04:04 PM

RE: Veridican Argument for the Existence of God
(29-04-2013 03:46 PM)Dom Wrote:  Faith is belief. If I say: "I believe I just saw a bear outside my window", that implies that I am not sure I saw it. Could have been just a shadow.

Noooo.... In that case you would have to say you "think" you saw a bear. If you believe you saw it, or you have faith you saw it, then you are certain. You could be wrong, ultimately, but you are sure you did--if you believe you did.

Quote:The words "Belief" and "Faith" communicate that one is not certain, and hence one has to either pretend it's true or pretend it's not.

No, you're redefining the traditional use of the words. The word you're looking for is "think."

Quote:I could go get a rifle just in case there was a bear, or I could just go on reading and ignore it.

You have "Faith" because you are scared god may be true and you want to save your behind in case it's so. I am not scared and think god is not a likely possibility.

The difference between you and me is fear, among a ton of other things.

You are a "god fearing" person.

Yes. I want to save my behind, but I want to save my behind because I believe God exists. I don't believe God exists in order to save my behind.

It's because I believe God exists that I fear Him. My fear is evidence of my faith.

You think you're superior because you doubt God's existence. But you have no reason to doubt God exists. It's just the faith you have because you want to be free to sin. I guess we'll see how that works out for you.
29-04-2013, 04:38 PM
(29-04-2013 03:37 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(29-04-2013 03:34 PM)Dom Wrote:  Furthermore you say that since you don't know shit, and you never will know shit because your mind is too small to understand shit, you just believe shit.

Nope, that's not me.

That's because you're too stupid to know what you don't know, evidenced by the way you can't even communicate without using the word "shit." I feel like I'm talking to a child.

And faith? Faith is a greater than knowledge. The ability to have faith is harder than the ability to acquire knowledge, but the payoff is much much greater. Consider the placebo effect. Faith is a higher use of mind.

But feel free to keep wallowing in your mud.

Well, pardon me but considering how many times people educate you on science and your own religion should you be calling people stupid? I mean, it's like you can't read replies to your posts.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2013, 04:41 PM
(29-04-2013 03:55 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(29-04-2013 03:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  Faith kills people, knowledge saves them.

Hey Chas, take this as a professional opinion: Nobody survives.

Go ahead and pray. I'll go to the doctor.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-04-2013, 05:06 PM
(29-04-2013 04:04 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(29-04-2013 03:46 PM)Dom Wrote:  Faith is belief. If I say: "I believe I just saw a bear outside my window", that implies that I am not sure I saw it. Could have been just a shadow.

Noooo.... In that case you would have to say you "think" you saw a bear. If you believe you saw it, or you have faith you saw it, then you are certain. You could be wrong, ultimately, but you are sure you did--if you believe you did.

Quote:The words "Belief" and "Faith" communicate that one is not certain, and hence one has to either pretend it's true or pretend it's not.

No, you're redefining the traditional use of the words. The word you're looking for is "think."

Quote:I could go get a rifle just in case there was a bear, or I could just go on reading and ignore it.

You have "Faith" because you are scared god may be true and you want to save your behind in case it's so. I am not scared and think god is not a likely possibility.

The difference between you and me is fear, among a ton of other things.

You are a "god fearing" person.

Yes. I want to save my behind, but I want to save my behind because I believe God exists. I don't believe God exists in order to save my behind.

It's because I believe God exists that I fear Him. My fear is evidence of my faith.

You think you're superior because you doubt God's existence. But you have no reason to doubt God exists. It's just the faith you have because you want to be free to sin. I guess we'll see how that works out for you.

Sin? lol! I don't sin. Unless you consider gardening a sin. Or cooking. Or throwing a ball for a dog.

There is no such thing as sin anyway. I explained that to you earlier.

And watch your mouth when you talk to me. You have no manners. If anyone here is sinning, it's you.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
29-04-2013, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2013 06:01 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-04-2013 04:04 PM)Egor Wrote:  Yes. I want to save my behind, but I want to save my behind because I believe God exists. I don't believe God exists in order to save my behind.

And GirlyMan believes it's evidence that you're a fucking pussy. You don't live the Christ, you don't know the Word, you're just a goddam fucking pretentious prick.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-04-2013, 05:52 PM
(29-04-2013 04:04 PM)Egor Wrote:  It's because I believe God exists that I fear Him. My fear is evidence of my faith.

Your fear is evidence that the god you chose to worship is a nasty piece of work. Genocide, killing people's first born, abducting and raping their wives, it goes on and on with the crowning jewel hell.

I'd be scared too if I believed all that nonsense.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
29-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Egor just surrendered his last bit of sanity to the notion of some sky daddy (monistic daddy, whatever that means)

You just forfeited your conciousness to the possibility of a dream

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
29-04-2013, 06:13 PM

(29-04-2013 04:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  Go ahead and pray. I'll go to the doctor.

It's not either/or. Why do you have to think so concretely? Is that all you can do. Is that why you call yourself "terse?" I guess you're not comfortable in the abstract.
29-04-2013, 06:15 PM

(29-04-2013 05:06 PM)Dom Wrote:  Sin? lol! I don't sin.

QED.

Quote:There is no such thing as sin anyway. I explained that to you earlier.

QED

Quote:And watch your mouth when you talk to me. You have no manners. If anyone here is sinning, it's you.

I thought you just said there's no such thing as sin.

QED