Veridican Epistemology--I think I have it.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2014, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2015 07:19 PM by Vosur.)
Veridican Epistemology--I think I have it.
In putting together a Veridican systematic theology, I wanted to start with epistemology. You can see all the categories at my form ([Link removed]).

I am insisting on keeping the statements to no more than 300 words, so it's short. The idea is that in the forum, it can be debated and modified, whatever. But all I'm trying to do right now is write the basic statement for that theological category. So here it is:
-----------

Epistemology

There are two kinds of truth recognized in Veridicanism.

The first is secular truth. We use secular truth to live in the physical world. This truth is discovered through logical rationalizations and the scientific method of inquiry. It is mutable and changes as circumstances change. What is true today in our world may not be true tomorrow.

The second truth is eternal truth, and the discovery of it leads to eternal life. The source of this truth is found in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ as recorded in the Gospel record, specifically, in the Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is immutable and is not affected by secular events. What is an eternal truth today will be true forever.

Truth is life. If a living person were to have no truth in his mind whatsoever, that mind would not be functionally capable of producing a personality. Personality is based on the truths that anchor the mind.

However, secular truth changes, which means the mind changes while we are living in a body, and that means we continually remake who we are as a person. The result is that what we were in the past dies, and what we become takes over.

Secular truths are fed to our minds through our physical senses by way of the brain. If the brain dies, we no longer have access to secular truths. The personality we have thus begins to fade away and ultimately ceases to exist.

For the mind to survive physical death, it must be founded on some truths that never change: eternal truth.

Veridicans hold that the only source of eternal truth on the earth is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Gospel is the truth derived from studying the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2014, 01:33 PM
RE: Veridican Epistemology--I think I have it.
Golly jeepers!
Last night I prayed this would happen.
Such a blessed occurrence surely was guided by the hand of god.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
28-12-2014, 01:38 PM
(28-12-2014 01:30 PM)Gordon Wrote:  In putting together a Veridican systematic theology, I wanted to start with epistemology. You can see all the categories at my form (http://veridican.com/forum).

I am insisting on keeping the statements to no more than 300 words, so it's short. The idea is that in the forum, it can be debated and modified, whatever. But all I'm trying to do right now is write the basic statement for that theological category. So here it is:
-----------

Epistemology

The first is secular truth. We use secular truth to live in the physical world. This truth is discovered through logical rationalizations and the scientific method of inquiry. It is mutable and changes as circumstances change. What is true today in our world may not be true tomorrow.

The second truth is eternal truth, and the discovery of it leads to eternal life. The source of this truth is found in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ as recorded in the Gospel record, specifically, in the Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is immutable and is not affected by secular events. What is an eternal truth today will be true forever.

Truth is life. If a living person were to have no truth in his mind whatsoever, that mind would not be functionally capable of producing a personality. Personality is based on the truths that anchor the mind.

However, secular truth changes, which means the mind changes while we are living in a body, and that means we continually remake who we are as a person. The result is that what we were in the past dies, and what we become takes over.

Secular truths are fed to our minds through our physical senses by way of the brain. If the brain dies, we no longer have access to secular truths. The personality we have thus begins to fade away and ultimately ceases to exist.

For the mind to survive physical death, it must be founded on some truths that never change: eternal truth.

Veridicans hold that the only source of eternal truth on the earth is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Gospel is the truth derived from studying the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.

I'm no philosobullshitter, but I'd have figured that an epistemological work would require ultimately more than circular "I'm right because I'm right" 'reasoning'.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
28-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Not bad.

Please define 'mind'.

Thanks.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
28-12-2014, 02:56 PM
I found a word that describes the Veridican.

Verschlimmbessern
[+] 5 users Like Stevil's post
28-12-2014, 03:13 PM
(28-12-2014 02:56 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I found a word that describes the Veridican.

Verschlimmbessern

I love that Germans have such remarkably specific words.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
28-12-2014, 03:23 PM
(28-12-2014 03:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I love that Germans have such remarkably specific words.
bro, do you even Rechtsschutzversicherungsgesellschaften?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 7 users Like Vosur's post
28-12-2014, 03:25 PM
(28-12-2014 01:38 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I'm no philosobullshitter, but I'd have figured that an epistemological work would require ultimately more than circular "I'm right because I'm right" 'reasoning'.

Actually, I don't think so. This is a theology. When I took theology in college, it started with presuppositions, like "The Bible says this; the church interprets it to mean this. Because that interpretation is true, we can then say this and this are true.

I'm starting with some presuppositions: there are eternal truths, Jesus taught us the eternal truths that we can know, minds exist apart from the brain, etc.

The Veridican epistemology is a statement as to how Veridicans can "know" something, and what "truth" is. My goal is not to make a logical argument necessarily, but rather describe the presuppositions and then keep the entire theology internally consistent.

I mean, it's possible the whole thing is untrue. If there is no God, then the whole thing is untrue. If Jesus was a satanic liar, then the whole thing is false, etc. But what the theology is stating is that assuming the presuppositions are true, everything else follows logically from that.

(28-12-2014 01:50 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Not bad.

Please define 'mind'.

Thanks.

Drinking Beverage

Right, and I intend to do that when I write the statement for the anthropology section.

But I think I can start by saying, the mind is a modality of God's substance, created by God, that observes the physical and astral planes. Based on its unique modal perspective, it forms into a shape. That shape is what we call a person or personality. When it is reborn, it transmutes into the same modality but of a different attribute of God, that attribute we call the Son, or Son of God.

Of course, evidence for that definition would have to be found in the Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ, but I think it's pretty well established. I mean, that's where I got the ideas on mind to begin with.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-12-2014, 03:39 PM
(28-12-2014 01:30 PM)Gordon Wrote:  In putting together a Veridican systematic theology, I wanted to start with epistemology. You can see all the categories at my form (http://veridican.com/forum).

-----------

Epistemology

But a 'truth' beyond our cognitive reasonings aimed at an unknowable 'whatever'
seeking some form of eternal bliss, comes across as a fear of death, and hope for again 'whatever'.
The so called fall leaves people with no idea of how such occurred, or for why!
As I indicated in the philosophy forum the Christian faith locks us into a passive obedience with fear of eternal torture. Hardly too sane or inspiring.
28-12-2014, 03:41 PM

It's like the terror alert system; color coded and organized bullshit.

(28-12-2014 01:30 PM)Gordon Wrote:  I am insisting on keeping the statements to no more than 300 words, so it's short. The idea is that in the forum, it can be debated and modified, whatever. But all I'm trying to do right now is write the basic statement for that theological category. So here it is:
-----------

Yeah, keeping it simple is probably best for you. Wouldn't want to sprain the precious few neurons you have left by doing something really strenuous.

(28-12-2014 01:30 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Epistemology

Let's just define what epistemology is right up front, and see how well old Egor sticks with it.

The theory of knowledge, especially with regard to its methods, validity, and scope. Epistemology is the investigation of what distinguishes justified belief from opinion.

(28-12-2014 01:30 PM)Gordon Wrote:  There are two kinds of truth recognized in Veridicanism.

Well, I guess it's somewhat encouraging to see you make a concession to reality. Bet it doesn't last...

(28-12-2014 01:30 PM)Gordon Wrote:  The second truth is eternal truth, and the discovery of it leads to eternal life.

One sentence in and we're already in woo-woo territory and unsubstantiated bullshit. Son, I am disappoint.

[Image: nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif]

(28-12-2014 01:30 PM)Gordon Wrote:  The source of this truth is found in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ as recorded in the Gospel record...

What? You mean that collection of unverifiable, self-contradictory, anonymously written, politically motivated, and repeatedly revised pile of dreck? Might as well go looking for truth in a box of Cracker Jacks...

[Image: cracker-jack-1oz-box-16.jpg]

^Contains just as much 'eternal truth' as the Gospels.^

(28-12-2014 01:30 PM)Gordon Wrote:  ...specifically, in the Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ.

See Also: The Book of Mormon.

[Image: book-of-mormon.jpg]

Does your story-book also have magical Jewish Native Americans?

(28-12-2014 01:30 PM)Gordon Wrote:  It is immutable and is not affected by secular events. What is an eternal truth today will be true forever.

Sure it is.

(28-12-2014 01:30 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Truth is life.

No. Life is a complex series of organic chemical reactions capable of maintaining cellular homeostasis. But on the other hand, you could pass yourself off as a Deepak Chopra quote-bot with just a little more practice.

-Awareness illuminates karmic choices
-Our consciousness is only possible in infinite observations
-Knowledge is reborn in your own life
-Death imparts reality to spontaneous reality

(28-12-2014 01:30 PM)Gordon Wrote:  If a living person were to have no truth in his mind whatsoever, that mind would not be functionally capable of producing a personality. Personality is based on the truths that anchor the mind.

You've still yet to actually define 'truth', and yet here you are building a mound of bullshit upon it already.

(28-12-2014 01:30 PM)Gordon Wrote:  However, secular truth changes, which means the mind changes while we are living in a body, and that means we continually remake who we are as a person. The result is that what we were in the past dies, and what we become takes over.

Not even a deepity...

(28-12-2014 01:30 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Secular truths are fed to our minds through our physical senses by way of the brain. If the brain dies, we no longer have access to secular truths. The personality we have thus begins to fade away and ultimately ceases to exist.

Sure it does. Figure out how it works, or at least provide evidence that it's possible, and then you can collect your Nobel Prize.

[Image: A3r80QHCIAM88_g.jpg:large]

(28-12-2014 01:30 PM)Gordon Wrote:  For the mind to survive physical death, it must be founded on some truths that never change: eternal truth.

Entirely unsubstantiated. Baseless assertions made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

(28-12-2014 01:30 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Veridicans hold that the only source of eternal truth on the earth is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Gospel is the truth derived from studying the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.

And now we come to realize that even your 'truth' is subjective, because it requires human interpretation. So much for being eternal and forever unchanging... Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post