Veritas?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2014, 12:47 AM
RE: Veritas?
I'm not going to touch that comment with a pole of any size, thankyouverymuch. Tongue

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
31-05-2014, 08:13 AM
(31-05-2014 12:40 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 12:23 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  ...
If every one had agreed with this post/attitude this thread would be quite a few pages shorter. Tongue

Much cheers to all.

Yabut, size is not important.

Or so I keep being reminded Blush

Ever try crossing the Atlantic in a row boat?

<3 DLJ
31-05-2014, 08:18 AM
(31-05-2014 08:13 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 12:40 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yabut, size is not important.

Or so I keep being reminded Blush

Ever try crossing the Atlantic in a row boat?

<3 DLJ

There's a punchline about "having the right tool for the job" in there somewhere.

Blush

31-05-2014, 08:21 AM
(30-05-2014 09:44 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Hi Jeremy,

I realize I'm getting to the thread rather late but I wanted to add my dos centavos.

You wrote: Is it important to have true beliefs/thoughts/views/perceptions about reality?

That question is kind of awkward because reality is the truth. I'm not sure if you are asking is it important to have true beliefs about the nature of reality or is it important to have beliefs that are true?

In either case my answer is the same. I would say that important is too weak a word when it comes to the significance of truth. I would say that if one wants to live then the the truth is essential.

Now I want to ask you a couple of questions. What makes a belief objectively true and how can we determine as Human beings what is objectively true.?

I'd really like to know these two things Jeremy because the Christian world view has nothing what so ever to say about objectivity. You won't find it in the Bible.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
31-05-2014, 08:24 AM
For me it's mostly about understanding how shit works. There are things where "truth" is of great importance like when I play my guitar. I need to understand theory if I am to be the next Hendrix. But do I need to know if the sun is at the centre of our solar system? No. I don't need to know that. The knowledge does nothing for me in my day to day life. But if I want to understand how our solar system works I'll need to know facts.
Do I need to know how the universe came to be? No. But I want to know and I won't accept magic as an explaination.
31-05-2014, 08:33 AM
(31-05-2014 08:24 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  For me it's mostly about understanding how shit works. There are things where "truth" is of great importance like when I play my guitar. I need to understand theory if I am to be the next Hendrix. But do I need to know if the sun is at the centre of our solar system? No. I don't need to know that. The knowledge does nothing for me in my day to day life. But if I want to understand how our solar system works I'll need to know facts.
Do I need to know how the universe came to be? No. But I want to know and I won't accept magic as an explaination.

This is a fallacious, self-defeating argument.

Hendrix, it has been scientifically proved, was magic.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-05-2014, 08:37 AM
(31-05-2014 08:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 08:24 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  For me it's mostly about understanding how shit works. There are things where "truth" is of great importance like when I play my guitar. I need to understand theory if I am to be the next Hendrix. But do I need to know if the sun is at the centre of our solar system? No. I don't need to know that. The knowledge does nothing for me in my day to day life. But if I want to understand how our solar system works I'll need to know facts.

This is a fallacious, self-defeating argument.

Hendrix, it has been scientifically proved, was magic.

Drinking Beverage

Black magic? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-05-2014, 08:42 AM
(31-05-2014 08:37 AM)Chas Wrote:  ...
Black magic? Consider

Teamwork FTW.

I'll set 'em up. You knock 'em in.

Thumbsup

31-05-2014, 08:46 AM
(31-05-2014 08:21 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 09:44 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Hi Jeremy,

I realize I'm getting to the thread rather late but I wanted to add my dos centavos.

You wrote: Is it important to have true beliefs/thoughts/views/perceptions about reality?

That question is kind of awkward because reality is the truth. I'm not sure if you are asking is it important to have true beliefs about the nature of reality or is it important to have beliefs that are true?

In either case my answer is the same. I would say that important is too weak a word when it comes to the significance of truth. I would say that if one wants to live then the the truth is essential.

Now I want to ask you a couple of questions. What makes a belief objectively true and how can we determine as Human beings what is objectively true.?

I'd really like to know these two things Jeremy because the Christian world view has nothing what so ever to say about objectivity. You won't find it in the Bible.

Here's some nails.......

And here's some jello.......

And here's a tree........

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
31-05-2014, 09:01 AM
Hi Tinkerbelle,

You wrote:

Here's some nails.......

And here's some jello.......

And here's a tree........

Big Grin

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick