Veritas?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2014, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2014 10:09 AM by Jeremy E Walker.)
RE: Veritas?
(30-05-2014 09:10 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 08:07 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I know I am not psychotic because I have none of the symptoms associated with psychosis.

Hard to see your own psychoses through your huge walls of denial.

This is my primary care physician's view, I happen to agree.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2014, 10:01 AM
(30-05-2014 09:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 08:07 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I know I am not psychotic because I have none of the symptoms associated with psychosis.

You think a psychotic can determine that ?

I do not know. My primary care physician has told me what I just relayed to you all. I think he would know a little bit about the subject.
31-05-2014, 10:03 AM
(30-05-2014 09:44 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Hi Jeremy,

I realize I'm getting to the thread rather late but I wanted to add my dos centavos.

You wrote: Is it important to have true beliefs/thoughts/views/perceptions about reality?

That question is kind of awkward because reality is the truth. I'm not sure if you are asking is it important to have true beliefs about the nature of reality or is it important to have beliefs that are true?

In either case my answer is the same. I would say that important is too weak a word when it comes to the significance of truth. I would say that if one wants to live then the the truth is essential.

Now I want to ask you a couple of questions. What makes a belief objectively true and how can we determine as Human beings what is objectively true.?

I agree with you. Important is too weak a term to convey how significant truth is.

It is paramount!.....I like that word.... : )
31-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Jeremy,

You wrote: I agree with you. Important is too weak a term to convey how significant truth is.

I like the word paramount too. It's much better than essential.

If the truth is paramount then it is even more important to have a rational method of determining what is objectively true.

But one would have to look outside the Christian worldview and borrow, or rather steal, from some non-subjective philosophy the concepts that are prerequisites to the concept "truth"

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
31-05-2014, 10:17 AM
(31-05-2014 10:12 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  Jeremy,

You wrote: I agree with you. Important is too weak a term to convey how significant truth is.

If the truth is paramount then it is even more important to have a rational method of determining what is objectively true.

But one would have to look outside the Christian worldview and borrow, or rather steal, from some non-subjective philosophy the concepts that are prerequisites to the concept "truth"

What metod do you use?
31-05-2014, 10:22 AM
(31-05-2014 10:17 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  

What metod do you use?

Reason.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
31-05-2014, 10:24 AM
(31-05-2014 09:59 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 09:10 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Hard to see your own psychoses through your huge walls of denial.

This is my primary care physician's view, I happen to agree.

Rolling on the floor here..... this means that you actually asked that specific question of the doctor....... Laugh out load good show old chap, at least it shows that you know you have a problem. Its a start. Yes

Now , to get a proper diagnoses, you will need to see a psychiatrist, not a general primary care doctor/PA. Wink

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
31-05-2014, 10:27 AM
(31-05-2014 10:22 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 10:17 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  What metod do you use?

Reason.

Ok, so do I. More specifically, inductive reasoning which forms the basis of most scientific theories.
31-05-2014, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2014 10:35 AM by GirlyMan.)
(31-05-2014 10:17 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  

What metod do you use?

Hallucinogens.

(31-05-2014 10:27 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 10:22 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  Reason.

Ok, so do I. More specifically, inductive reasoning which forms the basis of most scientific theories.

Ah the problem of induction. "The glory of science and the scandal of philosophy."

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
31-05-2014, 10:34 AM
So, if I am to understand your question, it is this. Is it important to understand reality and to hold factual concepts of reality assuming we wish to live in reality?