Veritas?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2014, 11:36 AM
RE: Veritas?
(31-05-2014 10:49 AM)natachan Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 10:40 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I see this is still difficult for some so let me ask you this:

Is it important to you that your doctor tell you the truth if he were to discover you had a malignant tumor growing in your body?

Or would it not be important?

Do you want to know about a malignant tumor? Or would you prefer to live in a fantasy where you aren't sick but simply the world is acting against you to cause pain and ultimately death? That's a personal choice.

i think what you say is important. it lets us know that truth is not important to some people even though they may claim it is.

a person may claim that people should only believe and order their lives around truth but at the same time, deny it if it conflicts with their personal desires.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2014, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2014 11:55 AM by Jeremy E Walker.)
(31-05-2014 11:00 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  (As far as I recall, the only time you've ever mentioned epistemology is when you said you didn't want to discuss it.) I favor empirical skepticism as the best method developed to date, and within empirical skepticism the scientific method when applicable. What methodology do you use? As far as I can tell, what you do is rely on self-confirming faith (which is demonstrably an unreliable method, as shown by the vast plurality of contradictory beliefs out there, all supported by the faith of their practitioners) while copy-pasting bad apologetic arguments on the grounds of whether they seem to support your existing position (also unreliable) and promptly ignoring anyone who points out ways in which your reasons for believing are untenable, to the point of abandoning or changing the subject the instant you realize your position is deeply flawed (about as unreliable a method as there is for identifying a false belief and abandoning it).

(30-05-2014 03:12 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  wtf @ your Latin

manga = female declension and =/= "important"

This is why KC is awesome. He grammar-nazis in LATIN.

i used google translate. i took latin in highschool but forgot most of it. i did not mean to give a precise rendering of the English in Latin. sometimes i get lazy and do not capitalize my words. sometimes i use my cell-phone and just want to get my point across. as long as u understand me i think that is fine.

secondly, i do not limit myself to one method of acquiring knowledge. i use various methods depending on the specific subject i want to learn about. if i want to learn about nature or how things work, i use a methodology in line with this subject. if i want to learn about history i use a method in line with that subject. if i want to learn about philosophy or metaphysics, i use a method in line with those subjects. if i want to know about morality i use a method in line with that subject. if i want to know about God i use a method in line with that subject.

i do not limit myself to only empiricism because empiricism as an epistemology would be too restrictive.

it is akin to a man looking for his keys that he lost in a parking lot at night and standing in a two foot circle of light on the ground cast by a street light above him and saying: "My keys must be here because this is all I can see."

The reason this is absurd is because the keys could be at any place from where he is all the way back to his car. it is absurd to say that the keys could not be anywhere else except for where he can see.

now yall may hate the man or think he is an idiot but what he says in the video is a good summation of the history of this whole idea of science as the only feasible criterion of rationality.
31-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Jermy...you use a lot of fancy words...is your shift key broken? You seem to not know how to capitalize the first work in a sentence.

Of course, now we must analyze what I mean by 'the first word in a sentence' and what exactly does capitalize mean in the context of typing.

Carry on...

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
31-05-2014, 11:59 AM
(31-05-2014 11:53 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Jermy...you use a lot of fancy words...is your shift key broken? You seem to not know how to capitalize the first word in a sentence.

Of course, now we must analyze what I mean by 'the first word in a sentence' and what exactly does capitalize mean in the context of typing.

Carry on...

He's to busy looking up synonyms for basic words, to appear educated, he aint got no time for no stinkin capitalizations. Laugh out load

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
31-05-2014, 12:02 PM
(31-05-2014 11:59 AM)War Horse Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 11:53 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Jermy...you use a lot of fancy words...is your shift key broken? You seem to not know how to capitalize the first word in a sentence.

Carry on...

He's to busy looking up synonyms for basic words, to appear educated, he aint got no time for no stinkin capitalizations. Laugh out load

too* busy
31-05-2014, 12:09 PM
(31-05-2014 12:02 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 11:59 AM)War Horse Wrote:  He's to busy looking up synonyms for basic words, to appear educated, he aint got no time for no stinkin capitalizations. Laugh out load

too* busy

Quote: i used google translate. i took latin in highschool but forgot most of it. i did not mean to give a precise rendering of the English in Latin. sometimes i get lazy and do not capitalize my words. sometimes i use my cell-phone and just want to get my point across. as long as u understand me i think that is fine.

^^^^^^^^^^^ Really ???? What an asswipe. Clap

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
31-05-2014, 12:09 PM
(31-05-2014 11:32 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  our familiar five senses tell is that we live in a universe that is fine tuned for life.

Citation needed.
(hint: unimaginative cosmic narcissism is not compelling)

(31-05-2014 11:32 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  our senses tell us that the universe came into existence some fifteen billion years ago in an explosion from a super dense singularity.

Neither "fifteen" nor "explosion" nor "singularity" is correct.

(31-05-2014 11:32 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  our senses tell us that we are creatures with a sense of right and wrong and of what ought or ought not to be.

Citation needed.
(hint: moral disagreements exist)

(31-05-2014 11:32 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  our senses tell us that throughout history people have had this queer sense that something above and beyond them existed "out there".

True - but utterly meaningless.

(31-05-2014 11:32 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  these observations are just a small sample of the available data. now what hypothesis best explains the data?

False positive agenticity and congenital anthropomorphism combined with rampant cognitive bias?

That certainly explains your answer.

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post
31-05-2014, 12:17 PM
(31-05-2014 12:09 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Citation needed.
(hint: unimaginative cosmic narcissism is not compelling)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/blogs/physi...-for-life/

(31-05-2014 12:09 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Neither "fifteen" nor "explosion" nor "singularity" is correct.

why?

(31-05-2014 12:09 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Citation needed.
(hint: moral disagreements exist)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Modern-Scholar...B001GKVBVK
31-05-2014, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2014 12:33 PM by Charis.)
Jeremy Wrote:our familiar five senses tell is that we live in a universe that is fine tuned for life.

No, you twit. Our "familiar five senses" tell us squat about a universe beyond seeing sparkly points of light in the night sky. Scientists have made inventions allowing us to reach beyond our familiar five senses, enhancing them (telescopic vision is not exactly one of *my* five senses... is it one of yours, Jeremy?) and leading to some pretty amazing discoveries.

Our five senses show us that we live in environments that are *conducive to* and *permissive of* life... but our environments are still in either constant or intermittent turmoil. Hardly "fine-tuned." Quite nice many times, yes... especially for those of us AT THE TOP OF THE FUCKING FOOD CHAIN.
And that's certain environments on Earth. Not the flipping universe.

No, our "familiar five senses" do not tell us that "we live in a universe that is fine tuned for life."

Ugh.

Dodgy

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 3 users Like Charis's post
31-05-2014, 12:35 PM
(31-05-2014 11:32 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  our familiar five senses tell is that we live in a universe that is fine tuned for life. our senses tell us that the universe came into existence some fifteen billion years ago in an explosion from a super dense singularity. our senses tell us that we are creatures with a sense of right and wrong and of what ought or ought not to be. our senses tell us that throughout history people have had this queer sense that something above and beyond them existed "out there".

Only took you 12 pages to get to the point by which time people are generally tired of your equivocation.

You could have just started with this rather than come up with ambiguous questions about the nature of truth. Why did you do this?

This is why no one trusts you.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post