Veritas?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2014, 01:14 PM
RE: Veritas?
Appeal to authority.

It's also not something our "five familiar senses" tell us, like you have repeatedly claimed.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2014, 01:15 PM
(31-05-2014 12:17 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 12:09 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Citation needed.
(hint: unimaginative cosmic narcissism is not compelling)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/blogs/physi...-for-life/

Yes. Some guy's blog. How decisive!

No, "if things were different they'd be different" is not indicative of anything. You'll have to try harder than that.

(31-05-2014 12:09 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Neither "fifteen" nor "explosion" nor "singularity" is correct.

why?

Fifteen is wrong; explosion is a fundamental misunderstanding (or, to be fair, it might just be your mischaracterisation - either is believable!), since an explosion is a reaction within a space; singularity refers only to a lack of knowledge beyond certain (at present) observational limits.

(31-05-2014 12:09 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Citation needed.
(hint: moral disagreements exist)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Modern-Scholar...B001GKVBVK

That's probably the laziest appeal to authority I've ever seen. "Oh, it's totally in there somewhere", eh?

But, it's pretty special of you to attempt to cite a study of ethics and morality as somehow constituting evidence for the existence of objective ethics and morality.

5/10 would apolotard again.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
31-05-2014, 01:16 PM
You seem awfully quiet on this thread Jeremy

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-is-no-God
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
31-05-2014, 01:21 PM
(31-05-2014 01:14 PM)Charis Wrote:  Appeal to authority.

yea so what?
31-05-2014, 01:23 PM
(31-05-2014 01:15 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 12:17 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/blogs/physi...-for-life/

Yes. Some guy's blog. How decisive!

No, "if things were different they'd be different" is not indicative of anything. You'll have to try harder than that.

(31-05-2014 12:17 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  why?

Fifteen is wrong; explosion is a fundamental misunderstanding (or, to be fair, it might just be your mischaracterisation - either is believable!), since an explosion is a reaction within a space; singularity refers only to a lack of knowledge beyond certain (at present) observational limits.

(31-05-2014 12:17 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  http://www.amazon.com/The-Modern-Scholar...B001GKVBVK

That's probably the laziest appeal to authority I've ever seen. "Oh, it's totally in there somewhere", eh?

But, it's pretty special of you to attempt to cite a study of ethics and morality as somehow constituting evidence for the existence of objective ethics and morality.

From atheistic physicist Stephen Hawking:

"All the evidence seems to indicate, that the universe has not existed forever, but that it had a beginning, about 15 billion years ago. This is probably the most remarkable discovery of modern cosmology. Yet it is now taken for granted." (The Beginning of Time Lecture, Stephen Hawking British Theoretical Physicist and Honorary Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, a lifetime member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, and in 2009 was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States. Hawking was the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at the University of Cambridge between 1979 and 2009. Subsequently, he became research director at the university's Centre for Theoretical Cosmology.)

Now hush.
31-05-2014, 01:25 PM
(31-05-2014 01:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 01:15 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Yes. Some guy's blog. How decisive!

From atheistic physicist Stephen Hawking:

"All the evidence seems to indicate, that the universe has not existed forever, but that it had a beginning, about 15 billion years ago. This is probably the most remarkable discovery of modern cosmology. Yet it is now taken for granted." (The Beginning of Time Lecture, Stephen Hawking British Theoretical Physicist and Honorary Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, a lifetime member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, and in 2009 was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States. Hawking was the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at the University of Cambridge between 1979 and 2009. Subsequently, he became research director at the university's Centre for Theoretical Cosmology.)

Now hush.

I wish absols were still here...then we would have someone to entertain this twit.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
31-05-2014, 01:26 PM
(31-05-2014 01:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  From atheistic physicist Stephen Hawking:

Now hush.

An off-hand reference from Dr Hawking? Well, shucks.

Protip: no.

I note that you don't make such a disingenuous appeal to authority when it comes to the matter of cosmological "fine-tuning", something Hawking personally disagrees with.

When it comes to disappointment, J-dog, you never disappoint me.

[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
31-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Why are you folks still talking to this mental abortion? He has clearly not changed his mind in regards to his obvious willingness and inclination towards lying, dishonest representation, and idiocy.

The only thing one can hope to get out of him is stuffing and for that you have to aim for the head.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
31-05-2014, 01:29 PM
(31-05-2014 01:27 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Why are you folks still talking to this mental abortion? He has clearly not changed his mind in regards to his obvious willingness and inclination towards lying, dishonest representation, and idiocy.

The only thing one can hope to get out of him is stuffing and for that you have to aim for the head.

We haven't had many theist trolls around to go full retard in a while.

Someone's gotta be the new PleaseJesus. It's very self-sacrificing of ol' J here to to nobly exemplify the very best of the worst. Few things are as entertaining as a man consistently scraping rock bottom.

[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
31-05-2014, 01:30 PM
(31-05-2014 01:27 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Why are you folks still talking to this mental abortion? He has clearly not changed his mind in regards to his obvious willingness and inclination towards lying, dishonest representation, and idiocy.

Kinda like picking a scab. Ya know you shouldn't but just can't help yourself.

About that appealing too. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post