Veritas?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2014, 04:48 PM
RE: Veritas?
(31-05-2014 04:09 PM)Charis Wrote:  [Image: jellytoawall.jpg]

Whoa! Color me impressed!

Wait...... Is that magic jello?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
31-05-2014, 04:51 PM
(31-05-2014 04:48 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 04:09 PM)Charis Wrote:  [Image: jellytoawall.jpg]

Whoa! Color me impressed!

Wait...... Is that magic jello?

Jello with a touch of faith. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
31-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Who let the troll out? Facepalm

The smell was almost gone, too Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
31-05-2014, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2014 05:06 PM by Reltzik.)
(31-05-2014 11:50 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 11:00 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  (As far as I recall, the only time you've ever mentioned epistemology is when you said you didn't want to discuss it.) I favor empirical skepticism as the best method developed to date, and within empirical skepticism the scientific method when applicable. What methodology do you use? As far as I can tell, what you do is rely on self-confirming faith (which is demonstrably an unreliable method, as shown by the vast plurality of contradictory beliefs out there, all supported by the faith of their practitioners) while copy-pasting bad apologetic arguments on the grounds of whether they seem to support your existing position (also unreliable) and promptly ignoring anyone who points out ways in which your reasons for believing are untenable, to the point of abandoning or changing the subject the instant you realize your position is deeply flawed (about as unreliable a method as there is for identifying a false belief and abandoning it).

This is why KC is awesome. He grammar-nazis in LATIN.

i used google translate. i took latin in highschool but forgot most of it. i did not mean to give a precise rendering of the English in Latin. sometimes i get lazy and do not capitalize my words. sometimes i use my cell-phone and just want to get my point across. as long as u understand me i think that is fine.

secondly, i do not limit myself to one method of acquiring knowledge. i use various methods depending on the specific subject i want to learn about. if i want to learn about nature or how things work, i use a methodology in line with this subject. if i want to learn about history i use a method in line with that subject. if i want to learn about philosophy or metaphysics, i use a method in line with those subjects. if i want to know about morality i use a method in line with that subject. if i want to know about God i use a method in line with that subject.

i do not limit myself to only empiricism because empiricism as an epistemology would be too restrictive.

it is akin to a man looking for his keys that he lost in a parking lot at night and standing in a two foot circle of light on the ground cast by a street light above him and saying: "My keys must be here because this is all I can see."

The reason this is absurd is because the keys could be at any place from where he is all the way back to his car. it is absurd to say that the keys could not be anywhere else except for where he can see.

now yall may hate the man or think he is an idiot but what he says in the video is a good summation of the history of this whole idea of science as the only feasible criterion of rationality.

Listened to video. Strawmans many positions. Factually inaccurate in many places. Total waste of time. Exactly what I've come to expect from your links.

Empirical skepticism contains science, but is quite a bit wider.

But in any event, allow me to put the question to you directly. WHAT method are you using on the subject of God and/or other supernatural woo (belief in the Resurrection, etc), IS that a reliable method, and HOW can we tell that it is?
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
31-05-2014, 05:02 PM
(31-05-2014 03:16 PM)Charis Wrote:  Yes, he's definitely being condescending, no doubt about that. But he's trying to be a big kid. Or a dad. or something. Trying to reprimand.
Makes me want to give him some fond but brutal spankings and send him to that corner you mentioned. And if he's quiet for 10 whole minutes, he can come back out and have some cookies and milk.

Drooling Popcorn
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
31-05-2014, 05:03 PM
(31-05-2014 05:00 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 11:50 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  i used google translate. i took latin in highschool but forgot most of it. i did not mean to give a precise rendering of the English in Latin. sometimes i get lazy and do not capitalize my words. sometimes i use my cell-phone and just want to get my point across. as long as u understand me i think that is fine.

secondly, i do not limit myself to one method of acquiring knowledge. i use various methods depending on the specific subject i want to learn about. if i want to learn about nature or how things work, i use a methodology in line with this subject. if i want to learn about history i use a method in line with that subject. if i want to learn about philosophy or metaphysics, i use a method in line with those subjects. if i want to know about morality i use a method in line with that subject. if i want to know about God i use a method in line with that subject.

i do not limit myself to only empiricism because empiricism as an epistemology would be too restrictive.

it is akin to a man looking for his keys that he lost in a parking lot at night and standing in a two foot circle of light on the ground cast by a street light above him and saying: "My keys must be here because this is all I can see."

The reason this is absurd is because the keys could be at any place from where he is all the way back to his car. it is absurd to say that the keys could not be anywhere else except for where he can see.

now yall may hate the man or think he is an idiot but what he says in the video is a good summation of the history of this whole idea of science as the only feasible criterion of rationality.

Listened to video. Strawmans many positions. Factually inaccurate in many places. Total waste of time.

Empirical skepticism contains science, but is quite a bit wider.

But in any event, allow me to put the question to you directly. WHAT method are you using on the subject of God and/or other supernatural woo (belief in the Resurrection, etc), IS that a reliable method, and HOW can we tell that it is?

do not know what you are asking.
31-05-2014, 05:05 PM
(31-05-2014 05:03 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  do not know what you are asking.

That explains a lot.
31-05-2014, 05:06 PM
(31-05-2014 05:05 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 05:03 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  do not know what you are asking.

That explains a lot.

yes. it explains why i cannot answer his question.
31-05-2014, 05:07 PM
(31-05-2014 05:06 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  yes. it explains why i cannot answer his question.

Not even remotely. That has a separate answer.

Hobo
31-05-2014, 05:09 PM
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdDGHjJ8cQzAqrXh6dVui...3Da5Ez5fyu]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTz1qDPgIoYz78SqCtav1...G6iEEDQ78Q]

[Image: slow-mo-jello-cubes.jpg]

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post