Veritas?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2014, 07:01 PM
RE: Veritas?
(30-05-2014 03:33 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 03:29 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've never seen a female truth, by the way. Shouldn't concepts be neuter?

Grammatical gender doesn't work like that.
(it'd be way too simple...)
No

Veritas is a feminine third declension noun in Latin (as inherited by eg French vérité). As to why any given word is masculine/feminine/neuter... who the hell knows.

This kind of stuff is why I like English above other languages.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2014, 07:06 PM
(30-05-2014 06:48 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 06:44 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  If I were to say you were dead i.e. that all of your biological functions had ceased and you had no pulse, would that be a true statement or a false statement.

I hope that if you ever make that statement that it will be false.

[Image: zombies.jpg]
30-05-2014, 07:07 PM
At work.

So , thread solved then?

Every one is happy with truth and all that? Awesome, where to next? (^_~)

Much cheers to all.
30-05-2014, 07:46 PM
(30-05-2014 03:42 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I'm fairly certain female truth is that I'm wrong even when I'm right Smile

If a man speaks and there are no women to hear him, would he still be wrong?

It's a rhetorical question only; the answer has been a self evident truth back as least as far as the emergence of sex.
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
30-05-2014, 08:07 PM
(30-05-2014 06:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 06:37 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  reality as it is and not how you want it to be

How do you determine that ? To a psychotic, what is absolutely true for them (they really DO experience what is not real), is not really true for others. How do you know you are not psychotic ?

I know I am not psychotic because I have none of the symptoms associated with psychosis.
30-05-2014, 08:27 PM
(30-05-2014 02:50 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Magna est veritas?

Nope No

(30-05-2014 02:50 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Is truth important?

Yup Yes

Drinking Beverage

30-05-2014, 08:52 PM
(30-05-2014 02:50 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Magna est veritas? Is truth important?

Truths like your bible is a fucking fairy tale, yes.

(30-05-2014 03:03 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 02:58 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  So in order to determine truth, you could instead be asking:

"Is evidence important?"

For the present, I want to know if you think truth is important.

If this is ambiguous, which I know it may be, I will clarify:

Is it important to have true beliefs/thoughts/views/perceptions about reality?

Soooooo...your masters at Biola suggested you take yet another tack with the Socratic loaded-question bullshit, since all the other ones have failed so miserably.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
30-05-2014, 08:57 PM
(30-05-2014 04:54 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 04:32 PM)natachan Wrote:  To what end? What will you do with this info?

If you do nothing with the info then no, the truth is unimportant. If you use the info then yes, it is.

Well, our beliefs and views about reality are what constitute our worldview and I have noticed people that most people here speak about theism as if theism was really false. So that is why I was wondering if indeed you all believe that it is important to have true beliefs and views about reality or if your objections to theism were based on something else.

Many here have wanted me to believe that they were rational, intellectually honest human beings who were only willing to believe what was true and what can be proven and they have tried to tell me that my views about reality are actually wrong and that I should only believe what is true.

So now I am kind of confused when people are reluctant to say that having true beliefs and views about reality is important. There was no reluctance when they were objecting to the truthfulness of theistic claims.

Either having true beliefs about reality is important or it is not. Anyone that swears by science cannot say at the same time that truth is not important, for is not the scientific endeavor one that seeks truth?

Yup it's another Socratic loaded-question shell game. Fuck the hell off.

30-05-2014, 09:00 PM
(30-05-2014 05:25 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 05:19 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  That's a different question than 'What is truth', though.

Much cheers to all.
Yes it is.

And you have answered my question directly and honestly and I thank you for it.

I agree with you. Truth is important. It is important to me to have true beliefs and true views about reality. I do not want to live a life built on and based on lies and untruths.

My view of truth's importance is based on my desire to live a life built on truth.

Then give up your idiotic, asinine, childish iron-age goatfucker superstitions.

30-05-2014, 09:07 PM
(30-05-2014 06:32 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 06:27 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  They are true depending on which time zone you live in if you are referring to the dates relative to local events that happened at the time. For example:

"The World Trade Centers collapsed on Sept. 10, 2001 on my 21st birthday"

They would be false statements for a person living in the United States.

Anyone who says the towers collapsed in September 2002 would be making a false statement.

Everyone in the fucking world doesn't live in the US, moron.