Very Strange Astrological Occurence in my Life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2013, 02:01 PM
RE: Very Strange Astrological Occurence in my Life
It's nice you're starting on a new book. You have a few published, I understand. Do you make much from them? (Genuine question, not trying to pick on you)

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Chas is right. Astrology has been thoroughly, and completely debunked as nothing more than an embarrassingly intricate fraud.

If there are those who still believe, then we have an issue of a lack of education, or of a lack of intelligence. I would hope it is the former.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
04-06-2013, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 02:30 PM by kim.)
(04-06-2013 01:35 PM)Egor Wrote:  As for the moon, I really can't comment on that because the moon has been doing what it has been doing pretty regularly for millions of years. I've never even heard that the moon was drifting away in its orbit. I don't even know how that would be physically possible.

Well, yes the Moon is drifting away... and it hasn't always been there either. It's thought to have been formed from a chunk blown off from when an asteroid hit the earth around 4.5 billion years ago.

Because gravity falls off with distance, there is a differential in the Moon's gravity across the Earth - this is called the tidal force. The tidal force raises bulges in the ocean called tidal bulges.

But then you also have to take into consideration that the earth rotates and when it does, friction between the Earth and the tidal bulge, tries to drag the bulges along with the Earth. As a result, the tidal bulges lead the Moon a tiny bit and the Moon tries to pull back on the bulges and in turn, this means the bulges pull forward on the Moon. This transfers angular momentum from the Earth to the Moon so, the Moon tries to speed up in its orbit and in doing so, causes the Moon to climb into a tiny bit higher in orbit and recede from the Earth. Moon drift - it's a little less than an inch and a half a year ... but it adds up.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
04-06-2013, 02:54 PM
(04-06-2013 02:27 PM)kim Wrote:  Well, yes the Moon is drifting away... and it hasn't always been there either. It's thought to have been formed from a chunk blown off from when an asteroid hit the earth around 4.5 billion years ago.

Because gravity falls off with distance, there is a differential in the Moon's gravity across the Earth - this is called the tidal force. The tidal force raises bulges in the ocean called tidal bulges.

But then you also have to take into consideration that the earth rotates and when it does, friction between the Earth and the tidal bulge, tries to drag the bulges along with the Earth. As a result, the tidal bulges lead the Moon a tiny bit and the Moon tries to pull back on the bulges and in turn, this means the bulges pull forward on the Moon. This transfers angular momentum from the Earth to the Moon so, the Moon tries to speed up in its orbit and in doing so, causes the Moon to climb into a tiny bit higher in orbit and recede from the Earth. Moon drift - it's a little less than an inch and a half a year ... but it adds up.

One of the most important things the Apollo missions did was put down mirrors to measure that distance by (by bouncing lasers off them).

Not only is the moon receding (by tiny, tiny amounts), but as the Earth loses momentum it rotates more slowly. Eventually they would become tidally locked: the moon, which already has its one face locked towards us, would hang permanently above a single spot on Earth. The sun will eat both long before that happens, though.

Also interesting, the strength of the tidal effect is very much influenced by the distribution and movement of the oceans on the Earth's surface - which is determined by the arrangement of the continents and tectonic plates. So the rate of change has varied considerably, on a geological time scale.
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
04-06-2013, 02:59 PM
At the risk of pushing this thread towards the science forum: We always see the one face of the moon because its period of rotation exactly matches its orbital period. This is no accident. What we are seeing is that the moon is tidally locked to the earth. If the earth/moon system were to survive long enough the same would happen in reverse. The moon is drawing away the earth's rotational energy and as it gets further away the earth's rotation slows. Eventually the earth's rotational period would match the moon's orbital period and one side of the earth will always face the moon while the other faces away. That said the sun is expected to become a red giant and consume both bodies before that occurs.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_locking

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
04-06-2013, 03:01 PM
That's right - the continents weren't always in the configuration they are now - in the past they were all clustered together in one landmass centered on the pole. With that configuration, there wasn't as much resistance to the tidal bulges and the friction between Earth and the bulges was tremendously reduced causing a much smaller recession rate. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
04-06-2013, 06:28 PM

(04-06-2013 01:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I see he just admitted it has to do with seasons, not the stars.
Correlation is not causation.
That's nothing new.
Everyone knows hormones are related to, and affected by the seasons, to some extent, and "Summer" babies are different than "Winter" babies.

The premise of astology is scientifically false, and proven to be wrong by the formula for gravity's attraction related to mass and distance.

Planets and constellations don't affect a person, they indicate the forces that are acting on a person. They are indicators not causes.

Granted, some astrologers still believe it is the actual planet creating the force, but that's pretty primitive astrology.

And all that talk about gravity is silly. No astrologer thinks the forces are "gravitational" forces. You need to broaden your knowledge a little.
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2013, 06:36 PM

(04-06-2013 02:01 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  It's nice you're starting on a new book. You have a few published, I understand. Do you make much from them? (Genuine question, not trying to pick on you)

Thank you, and no. I'm still trying to write that book that will sell big.

I'm writing a book now, a memoir of how I became an astrologer, and hopefully, it will encourage others to want to be astrologers as well.

After that, I have an idea for a book on how to find the second glory in life. Everyone has a first glory--big or small--everyone has a glory. Most people just run down after that. But I believe our charts indicate a second glory that can only be had later in life.

Then I'd like to write a book of dream symbols, so people can interpret their own dreams Edward-style.

And on and on. That's the plan anyway.

Again, thanks for asking. You should let me do your chart for you some day. It's free, you know? Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
04-06-2013, 06:40 PM

(04-06-2013 02:06 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Chas is right. Astrology has been thoroughly, and completely debunked as nothing more than an embarrassingly intricate fraud.

I guess it depends on whose interpreting it. My chart is so like me it's astounding. That's why I got into astrology.

Quote:If there are those who still believe, then we have an issue of a lack of education, or of a lack of intelligence. I would hope it is the former.

So, what about Carl Jung? Was he uneducated or unintelligent. Was Ronald Regan unintelligent or uneducated?

Last week the soignée soothsayer's cover was blown by former White House aide Donald Regan. In his just-published book, For the Record, Regan spilled what he insisted was "the most closely guarded domestic secret of the Reagan White House." To wit: "Virtually every major move and decision the Reagans made during my time as White House Chief of Staff was cleared in advance with a woman in San Francisco who drew up horoscopes to make certain that the planets were in a favorable alignment for the enterprise." Within hours, an avid press had zeroed in on Quigley as the mystery adviser.
http://www.people.com/people/archive/art...22,00.html

I'm not unintelligent, and I'm not uneducated.

So, now what? You don't have to believe it. Maybe it's best you don't. Maybe there are things in your chart you're better off not seeing.
04-06-2013, 06:41 PM
(04-06-2013 01:47 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(04-06-2013 07:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  [SQWUARRKKKKKK

You don't have to read it Drinking Beverage

Oh, piss off.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user