Very Strange Astrological Occurence in my Life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2013, 01:29 PM
RE: Very Strange Astrological Occurence in my Life
Phoenix, it might be worth you understanding the history of Egor on this board. He's far from a newbie. Some love him, some hate, some tolerate. He's held a lot of different views over that time and he's heard most of the arguments you might wish to make on any number of topics.

Me, I like the guy despite his occasional awful behaviour. He seems to mostly mean well and is always a conversation stater. To me Egor is part of the TTA family.

Egor - I'd love to have a chart done, but you know I'm sceptical. It would need to be under something resembling experimental conditions. My ideal would be:
I give you two sets of information, one real and one randomised. I label them A and B. You flip a coin to decide on the label for each chart (1 or 2) when you send them back to me. You don't tell me which is which. You just keep a record of whether A=1&B=2 or vice versa. I count the hits and I count the misses in each. When I'm done we reveal to each other which is which to see whether the hit and miss rate correlates to whether the chart was based on actual or random data ;-)

No problem if you don't want to go to that sort of effort though. I know we're not likely to change each others' minds on the efficacy of the technique :-)

Good luck with your current books. It seems like there should be a market for them.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2013, 04:31 PM

(05-06-2013 11:33 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Egor,

I am saying you have been thoroughly conned, confused, fooled, bamboozled, tricked, etc...

Belief.

Quote:Its true that right now, not everything in the universe can be answered with science, at least not yet.

Faith.

Quote: Receiving pseudoscience as a fact, when the real facts are that it is a fraudulent practice, is far worse for you than just saying "I don't know yet." It is embarrassing.

Ignorance (astrology is not any kind of science)

Quote:Science is the study of everything. It will move along, and catch up to the questions we have.

Faith. (or prophecy) Unsure

Quote:Or we can get impatient, and turn to false scholars, who provide the answers we seek, but in the form of a false doctrine.

hyper-religious paranoia

Quote: If you prefer false consolation and the illusion of knowledge more than the truth, by all means proceed. A free world is meant for those who waste, as well as use their time.

Drinking Beverage

Quote:On the contrary sir,

Weirdo. Hobo

Quote:you need someone to point out a great deal to you. So you come onto this forum, to post where many freethinking, intelligent people gather to discuss fallacies of theist thinking, and the allure of false ideas that provide no more than comfort. You then post Astrological horse shit,

bigotted hostility.

Quote:along with a fair bit of mythological explanation to go with it, and you actually expect no one to challenge you on it? That is strange indeed.

Ignorance.

Quote:I find the confrontation as necessary as it would be if you were openly professing the true existence of Santa Claus. That claim would be equally valid.

You find it necessary to confront people who believe in Santa?

...those poor five-year-olds. Shocking

Quote:I can see that you have been spoiled by the rules of the free world, thinking that your opinion is merely another interpretation of truth, or perhaps "another path" to it. Perhaps you believe it is your right to hold these beliefs.

Yes

Quote:Your view is simply false. As much as claiming the sky is red would be false. The truth is not objective. It merely is. We can choose to see it, and study it, or we can ignore it and believe as we wish. It must be a fun world to live in, where your beliefs about the universe, actually change your life, even if they are false. In a way, it is your own little world, in your head.

Yes

Quote:So in the end, I not only expect people to mock you for your beliefs, I would disappointed if they did not. You need a healthy dose of reality.

Antisocial personality.

Quote:If I went around claiming that the tooth fairy was real, and that I had the photographs to prove it, I would be mocked openly everywhere I went. Nobody would care if that was my belief, or world view. That is the price every deluded person must pay when they come into contact with those who know the truth.They pay it in mocking laughter, and it ought to be so.

Fascism.

Quote: In the end, knowing the truth is worth being embarrassed for believing something silly for a while.

Oh yeah? Why is that? Drinking Beverage
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2013, 04:40 PM

(05-06-2013 01:29 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Phoenix, it might be worth you understanding the history of Egor on this board. He's far from a newbie. Some love him, some hate, some tolerate. He's held a lot of different views over that time and he's heard most of the arguments you might wish to make on any number of topics.

Hafnof! You're ruining my play toy. [Image: 71.gif]

Quote:Me, I like the guy despite his occasional awful behaviour. He seems to mostly mean well and is always a conversation stater. To me Egor is part of the TTA family.

Weeping You had me at "awful behaviour"

Quote:Egor - I'd love to have a chart done, but you know I'm sceptical. It would need to be under something resembling experimental conditions. My ideal would be:
I give you two sets of information, one real and one randomised. I label them A and B. You flip a coin to decide on the label for each chart (1 or 2) when you send them back to me. You don't tell me which is which. You just keep a record of whether A=1&B=2 or vice versa. I count the hits and I count the misses in each. When I'm done we reveal to each other which is which to see whether the hit and miss rate correlates to whether the chart was based on actual or random data ;-)

Dude, that's not the way it works. It's not a science. You have a birth chart. It's drawn according to the time and place you were born. If you give me false info, you're going to get a false chart. If you try to test it, I'm not going to be able to interpret it.

Quote:No problem if you don't want to go to that sort of effort though. I know we're not likely to change each others' minds on the efficacy of the technique :-)

Thanks but no thanks. Besides, I have as much work in that area as I can handle right now. In a month, I should have my workflow down pat.

Quote:Good luck with your current books. It seems like there should be a market for them.

Thanks, H. I hope so. [Image: beerchug.gif]
05-06-2013, 05:12 PM
(04-06-2013 12:01 AM)Egor Wrote:  I had a vivid dream last night that gave me a great idea for a book. I had to consult my astrological chart.
I say, do it. Dreams are a valid source of creativity, one guy had a dream about a devil playing violin and it was a real melody, he wrote it down and had a success. Writing books is not a big deal nowadays. But having an inspiration is, a true inspiration is a precious stuff.

(04-06-2013 12:01 AM)Egor Wrote:  In my natal third house, Chiron naturally resides. What that means is that Chiron (the comet/planetoid/centaur) which is all about being a wounded healer, is part of my birth chart and it sits in my third house--the house of communications, especially writing.
My astrologic gut speaking, this Chiron position may show some academic challenge, so if you overcome it, you might actually become a good author, good at communication. The transit might be seen as a trial if you mastered this skill and the book as an evidence to prove that. But please always say which sign it's in.

I have Chiron in Gemini 11th house and I'm a nerd without friends. Astrology definitely has something about it Sad Laughat
05-06-2013, 11:23 PM

(05-06-2013 05:12 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Writing books is not a big deal nowadays. But having an inspiration is, a true inspiration is a precious stuff.

[Image: 12%20(2).gif]

Quote:My astrologic gut speaking, this Chiron position may show some academic challenge, so if you overcome it, you might actually become a good author, good at communication. The transit might be seen as a trial if you mastered this skill and the book as an evidence to prove that. But please always say which sign it's in.

I have Chiron in Gemini 11th house and I'm a nerd without friends. Astrology definitely has something about it Sad Laughat

Out of curiosity, what keywords would you associate with Chiron?
06-06-2013, 06:57 AM
It's like watching a train wreck of woo :O

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
06-06-2013, 09:14 AM
I didn't realize that throwing out random single word ideas was some kind of comment.

I can see that we have entered the portion of the argument, where you run out of substance to your argument, and start acting like a child. That didn't take long did it?

I suppose I shouldn't expect a whole lot else. I have read quite a few comments on various threads, and people seem to be in general agreement.

We all think that you need emergency surgery, to remove your head from the inner void of your asshole.

Your last little dissection of my comments had a wonderful quote which I think should be the only thing anyone ever hears about Astrology.

"Ignorance (astrology is not any kind of science)"

Astrology is not any kind of science.

Well said my friend. Well said.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
06-06-2013, 10:00 AM

(06-06-2013 09:14 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Your last little dissection of my comments had a wonderful quote which I think should be the only thing anyone ever hears about Astrology.

[Image: 12%20(1).gif]
06-06-2013, 10:11 AM
(06-06-2013 09:14 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I didn't realize that throwing out random single word ideas was some kind of comment.

I can see that we have entered the portion of the argument, where you run out of substance to your argument, and start acting like a child. That didn't take long did it?

I suppose I shouldn't expect a whole lot else. I have read quite a few comments on various threads, and people seem to be in general agreement.

We all think that you need emergency surgery, to remove your head from the inner void of your asshole.

Your last little dissection of my comments had a wonderful quote which I think should be the only thing anyone ever hears about Astrology.

Anti-Egor Defence.exe has been sucessfully installed

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
06-06-2013, 10:26 AM
(04-06-2013 06:40 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(04-06-2013 02:06 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Chas is right. Astrology has been thoroughly, and completely debunked as nothing more than an embarrassingly intricate fraud.

I guess it depends on whose interpreting it. My chart is so like me it's astounding. That's why I got into astrology.

Quote:If there are those who still believe, then we have an issue of a lack of education, or of a lack of intelligence. I would hope it is the former.

So, what about Carl Jung? Was he uneducated or unintelligent. Was Ronald Regan unintelligent or uneducated?

Last week the soignée soothsayer's cover was blown by former White House aide Donald Regan. In his just-published book, For the Record, Regan spilled what he insisted was "the most closely guarded domestic secret of the Reagan White House." To wit: "Virtually every major move and decision the Reagans made during my time as White House Chief of Staff was cleared in advance with a woman in San Francisco who drew up horoscopes to make certain that the planets were in a favorable alignment for the enterprise." Within hours, an avid press had zeroed in on Quigley as the mystery adviser.
http://www.people.com/people/archive/art...22,00.html

I'm not unintelligent, and I'm not uneducated.

So, now what? You don't have to believe it. Maybe it's best you don't. Maybe there are things in your chart you're better off not seeing.

Even Einstein admitted he made grave errors.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche