Very bad news for Republicans (but great news for everyone else)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2013, 05:59 PM
RE: Very bad news for Republicans (but great news for everyone else)
(18-07-2013 04:54 PM)germanyt Wrote:  This plan isn't saving any lives. Everyone who has access to health care now had it before. They just don't get a bill for it now, some pay more, some pay less, and everyone who doesn't qualify for it free is soon going to be forced to buy insurance. I don't have insurance because I don't want to pay for it. I don't get sick and if I did I would either not go to the doctor or bite the bullet and pay uninsured prices. I'm being forced to buy insurance largely in part because a bunch of fat lazy asses don't want to put down the cigarettes and McDonald's.

Actually, the plan will reduce the number of previously uninsured Americans by over 32 million.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2013, 05:59 PM
(18-07-2013 05:44 PM)smidgen Wrote:  My son and his girlfriend have not been able to find jobs yet that offer insurance. Nor can they afford to buy there own. And I'm sure they will not have the money to pay the fine that they will owe for not having insurance. What will happen after that. Put them in jail. I work in health insurance, I see nothing good coming from this in the long run.

Cool story. Anecdotal evidence will get you nowhere.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
18-07-2013, 06:00 PM
(18-07-2013 05:44 PM)smidgen Wrote:  My son and his girlfriend have not been able to find jobs yet that offer insurance. Nor can they afford to buy there own. And I'm sure they will not have the money to pay the fine that they will owe for not having insurance. What will happen after that. Put them in jail. I work in health insurance, I see nothing good coming from this in the long run.

Their tax returns will be reduced. If it's not enough to cover it they'll get wages garnished just like if it were unpaid taxes. Like the IRS didn't already have too much power.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
18-07-2013, 06:07 PM
(18-07-2013 05:59 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(18-07-2013 04:54 PM)germanyt Wrote:  This plan isn't saving any lives. Everyone who has access to health care now had it before. They just don't get a bill for it now, some pay more, some pay less, and everyone who doesn't qualify for it free is soon going to be forced to buy insurance. I don't have insurance because I don't want to pay for it. I don't get sick and if I did I would either not go to the doctor or bite the bullet and pay uninsured prices. I'm being forced to buy insurance largely in part because a bunch of fat lazy asses don't want to put down the cigarettes and McDonald's.

Actually, the plan will reduce the number of previously uninsured Americans by over 32 million.

So? They still had access to ERs and couldn't be turned away. And it's not like they are paying the bill anyway. The vast majority of that 32 million are going to be below the income limit for the massive Medicaid expansion happening under Obamacare. So while the purpose of the program is to put more people in the insurance pool and lower premiums the new people actually being covered won't be paying much if anything at all.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
18-07-2013, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2013 06:55 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(18-07-2013 06:00 PM)germanyt Wrote:  

Their tax returns will be reduced. If it's not enough to cover it they'll get wages garnished just like if it were unpaid taxes. Like the IRS didn't already have too much power.

Nope. The bill specifically left out any way for the IRS to take any action. Right now it's all up in the air. They can't do anything right now, if the fine is not paid. It may not remain that way, who knows.

This is just one tiny baby step in reforming the US heath care system. This is the LEAST of it's problems. Americans pay more and get less than any civilized country. Until the lobbyists for HC and the drug companies are told to take a hike by the politicians, nothing will really change. We need single payer, and medicine for profit needs to go. Making ridiculous sums of money on the backs of sick people is unethical. The head of United Health Care took out $100,000,000 dollars in 2011.
What the fuck are we doing ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-07-2013, 08:16 PM
(18-07-2013 05:59 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

And you are doing anything other than repeating the WH's talking points? We'll see if this plan works at all. The goal is well meaning but the execution is in question.
19-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Why not? You have other assholes on here repeating the tea bagger's talking points.
19-07-2013, 08:09 PM
(18-07-2013 06:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(18-07-2013 06:00 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Their tax returns will be reduced. If it's not enough to cover it they'll get wages garnished just like if it were unpaid taxes. Like the IRS didn't already have too much power.

Nope. The bill specifically left out any way for the IRS to take any action. Right now it's all up in the air. They can't do anything right now, if the fine is not paid. It may not remain that way, who knows.

This is just one tiny baby step in reforming the US heath care system. This is the LEAST of it's problems. Americans pay more and get less than any civilized country. Until the lobbyists for HC and the drug companies are told to take a hike by the politicians, nothing will really change. We need single payer, and medicine for profit needs to go. Making ridiculous sums of money on the backs of sick people is unethical. The head of United Health Care took out $100,000,000 dollars in 2011.
What the fuck are we doing ?

The real problem is that the federal government chose to focus on the cost of insurance rather than the cost of health care. Premiums are expensive because many ERs send you a 500 dollar bill for a bag of saline. Go to the doctor and get an MRI or CT with no insurance, 2500 bucks. It's ridiculous. On top of that many doctors afraid to overlook something will call for less than necessary testing that raises the cost of the visit solely so they can rule out things they might get sued for later on. And let's not forget about the crazy amounts pharmaceutical companies charge for drugs and the profit hungry tactics they use to sell those drugs. Rather than fix the problems causing high premiums they just decided to force more people into the insurance pool and subsidize them so some other people's premiums will go down.

And on principle, it's not right for the federal government to force people to buy private products from private companies.

-Mark Twain
19-07-2013, 08:10 PM
(19-07-2013 05:59 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Why not? You have other assholes on here repeating the tea bagger's talking points.

You're an idiot. Negged.

-Mark Twain
19-07-2013, 08:27 PM
(18-07-2013 04:54 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(18-07-2013 04:23 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Being principled is ridiculous in light of how many lives this plan is saving.

This plan isn't saving any lives. Everyone who has access to health care now had it before. They just don't get a bill for it now, some pay more, some pay less, and everyone who doesn't qualify for it free is soon going to be forced to buy insurance. I don't have insurance because I don't want to pay for it. I don't get sick and if I did I would either not go to the doctor or bite the bullet and pay uninsured prices. I'm being forced to buy insurance largely in part because a bunch of fat lazy asses don't want to put down the cigarettes and McDonald's.

Hmmm, I wonder how old you are. Give it a few years and things will start breaking and you'll be in deep shit because you have no insurance. You are the one I've been paying super high prices for all these years.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post