Very bad news for Republicans (but great news for everyone else)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2013, 07:41 PM
RE: Very bad news for Republicans (but great news for everyone else)
(27-07-2013 07:31 PM)I Am Wrote:  Hey, I like Adam Smith. I don't like what people do with him... read the first few pages of Wealth of Nations, and then quack "Invisible Hand" and "Free Market" unendingly while using their own hands to manipulate markets.

Adam Smith thought that mechanistic division of labor would make people "...as stupid and ignorant as it is possible for a human creature to become. ”

Some more Smith quotes never, ever found in economics classes or quoted by capitalists...

“It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.”

“Wherever there is great property, there is great inequality.”

“The interest of [businessmen] is always in some respects different from, and even opposite to, that of the public ... The proposal of any new law or regulation of commerce which comes from this order ... ought never to be adopted, till after having been long and carefully examined ... with the most suspicious attention. It comes from an order of men ... who have generally an interest to deceive and even oppress the public.”

And finally, “Science is the great antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition.”

Adam Smith was a brilliant man.

His name is espoused loudest by those who have the least understanding of his actual views.

Now, why does that sound familiar?
Rolleyes

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
27-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Adam Smith was brilliant. But his economic model assumed complete rationality from all involved parties. In particular a completely rational consumer. Big bizzyness don't want no part of a rational consumer. And so marketing was born.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-07-2013, 08:12 PM
(27-07-2013 08:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Adam Smith was brilliant. But his economic model assumed complete rationality from all involved parties. In particular a completely rational consumer. Big bizzyness don't want no part of a rational consumer. And so marketing was born.

Yup and an irrational consumer is great for a quick buck, but not great for market stability...and besides effective marketing goods have become so complex in their sourcing and manufacture, as well as more complex in general and there are so many brands and products available that the customer can't possibly be informed unless they dedicate a large portion of their free time too it.

Most don't know what forests the Kochs are clearing to make TP or even that the Kochs are making their TP. Most don't know where their energy comes from, or where their appliances where made, or what is in their corn flakes or that their shoes where made by half starved 8 year olds....

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-07-2013, 04:12 AM
(27-07-2013 08:12 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Yup and an irrational consumer is great for a quick buck, but not great for market stability...and besides effective marketing goods have become so complex in their sourcing and manufacture, as well as more complex in general and there are so many brands and products available that the customer can't possibly be informed unless they dedicate a large portion of their free time too it.

Most don't know what forests the Kochs are clearing to make TP or even that the Kochs are making their TP. Most don't know where their energy comes from, or where their appliances where made, or what is in their corn flakes or that their shoes where made by half starved 8 year olds....

Which is precisely why we need federal legislation to prevent it. This is something that a lot of Americans don't seem to fully understand.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
28-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Obamas health care is bullshit, it is a handout to the insurance corporations, nothing more.

Republicans are only against it because Obama instated it, republicans like democrats love the part about insurance companies getting huge increases in profits.

What kind of idiot population thinks that going from private health insurance based health care to...... Private health insurance based health care is somehow radically different, according to democrats and republicans.
29-07-2013, 07:15 AM
(28-07-2013 06:40 PM)I and I Wrote:  Obamas health care is bullshit, it is a handout to the insurance corporations, nothing more.

Republicans are only against it because Obama instated it, republicans like democrats love the part about insurance companies getting huge increases in profits.

What kind of idiot population thinks that going from private health insurance based health care to...... Private health insurance based health care is somehow radically different, according to democrats and republicans.

It works rather well in Switzerland. Their system mandates insurance which is purchased from insurance companies. The government sets prices and the companies compete primarily on the basis of service.

You need to learn more about various health care systems to make your objections the least bit credible.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2013, 07:28 AM
(29-07-2013 07:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 06:40 PM)I and I Wrote:  Obamas health care is bullshit, it is a handout to the insurance corporations, nothing more.

It works rather well in Switzerland. Their system mandates insurance which is purchased from insurance companies. The government sets prices and the companies compete primarily on the basis of service.

You need to learn more about various health care systems to make your objections the least bit credible.

You need to learn more about the american health system, the insurance companies set the price in the U.S. in fact shortly after the Obama care passed, health insurance companies immediately began raising prices.
29-07-2013, 08:19 AM
(29-07-2013 07:28 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 07:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  It works rather well in Switzerland. Their system mandates insurance which is purchased from insurance companies. The government sets prices and the companies compete primarily on the basis of service.

You need to learn more about the american health system, the insurance companies set the price in the U.S. in fact shortly after the Obama care passed, health insurance companies immediately began raising prices.

Not in Maryland. Let the Peoples Republic of Maryland show you how we just get shit done. We will show you the way.Tongue

29-07-2013, 08:35 AM
(29-07-2013 08:19 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 07:28 AM)I and I Wrote:  You need to learn more about the american health system, the insurance companies set the price in the U.S. in fact shortly after the Obama care passed, health insurance companies immediately began raising prices.

Not in Maryland. Let the Peoples Republic of Maryland show you how we just get shit done. We will show you the way.Tongue

Pfft. Facts.

You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
29-07-2013, 09:04 AM
(29-07-2013 08:35 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 08:19 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Not in Maryland. Let the Peoples Republic of Maryland show you how we just get shit done. We will show you the way.Tongue

Pfft. Facts.

You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.

The best bit of irony is that Maryland by virtue of having stood up its own health insurance exchange has control over it and we will take care of our own whereas the stupid States who refuse to participate based primarily on opposition to federal intervention will be precisely the ones subject to federal intervention. ... There's stupid and then there's this:
[Image: HUH-WE-ENHANCE-1_zps9ae2d3c4.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post