Very sad tale of religious intolerance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Very sad tale of religious intolerance
This is a sad tale

It tells of two kids from difference religions and enthiticies who are forbidden to be together.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2011, 04:22 PM
RE: Very sad tale of religious intolerance
Hey, Boe.

What were the two religions?

Also, the article went on about how terrible it was, but at no point explained why a Tajik and a Hazara getting together was so scandalous (and deathworthy).

Lastly, wasn't this a play or something? Romeo and Juliette or Tristan and Isolde or West Side Story or something.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
01-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Halima.
I've just met a girl named Halima,
And suddenly that name
Will never be the same
To me.

Yep, that still works.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
03-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Matt, from what I read about the article the gist is that these two were dating in secret and were found out, which is punishable by death by stoning.

The 'ill-fated relationship' story arc is popular because it's a relatively common problem in conservative traditional societies. So that's why this story seems to go along the tune of Romeo and Juliet.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
03-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Hey, Monkey.

But what is the significance of dating in secret? Why is it dealt with so harshly? It seemed to have something to do with the arranged marriage system. Does it impact dowries? Peace between tribes? That sort of information seemed pretty germane to the report.

Also, what is the significance of the ethnic difference between them?

Matt
03-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Face of Boe might have made a mistake in his description of the article.

As for why dating before marriage is illegal in this particular tribal Islamic society, I really can't answer, I'm not very well versed in Islamic culture and society. It could be for those reasons you listed, it may be because the girl is now 'tainted', or it may be any other sort of arbitrary thing laid down by Islamic law.

It was reported because it's a public interest story, everyone loves a drama, these kinds of stories tug on people's heart strings.

03-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Hey, Monkey.

It is a heartstring tugger. I just wish they'd had a better explanation than, it's bad m'kay. Context is always nice, especially when people call themselves journalists.

Matt
03-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Matt, I think you and I found some common ground. I firmly believe that journalistic standards are dropping, and I think this is mainly due to the web and 'news' blogs. I could write pages and pages of my extreme displeasure of what accounts for most journalism today, but that would be grossly off topic Wink

04-08-2011, 09:59 AM
I don't see your point? What is not clear in this story? Story takes place in Afghanistan, so if you know anything about Islam you should know there are Sunni and Shia Islam, the two major denominations of Islam. And in that part of the world they are blood enemies for centuries. Even Wikipedia could have helped you understand why they wanted to stone them to death. This is completely normal thing in the Middle East, been going on for centuries now, everyone has prearranged marriage and there are NO mixing of the Sunni and Shia. Ever. In no sense, not even talking.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
04-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Hey, Filox.

Ok. Shia and Sunni were never mentioned. If that's the central issue of the report, it needs to be mentioned. Since it wasn't, I have to assume that it either isn't the central issue or that they suck. What was mentioned was that he was Tajik and she was Hazara. So their lack of reporting just caused you to plug in erroneous facts to pick up their slack, which is the danger of bad journalism.

If it's perfectly normal, why is it newsworthy?

Honestly, I think you're giving them a pass because you share their bias towards Afghani Muslims.

In the end, whatever. It's shitty journalism. If you like it, more power to you. I demand more.

Matt