Very thought provoking sociology study

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2015, 09:24 AM
RE: Very thought provoking sociology study
(21-05-2015 09:15 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(21-05-2015 09:06 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Agreed--but I think the point of the experiment was that people will believe and do whatever a person in authority tells them to do--even if it means going against what they believe is the right course of action. Many times during the experiment, the teachers questioned whether or not they should stop the experiment as the student was in pain, demanded to be let out of room, and then, later was not responding at all. Yes, they were told it was an experiment--and yes, they believed the experimenter. But that is the point. Other than the authority figure's assurance--there was no evidence that the student was not in harm's way. In fact, there was only evidence suggesting otherwise--screaming out in pain/begging to be let out of room/not responding at all. And yet despite this, few stopped the experiment and no one demanded that they check to see if student was okay. The point wasn't to make a direct comparison to Nazis--but to illustrate how normal , everyday *good* people can and will go against their own better judgment and follow authority.

If indeed that was the point then it is too small sample to draw conclusions even if we agree that in real situation these people would do the same.

About student not being in harm's way - I would say that words of authority figure would be sufficient considering that this was experiment. I think they all at least suspected that there will be no real harm and certainly not death.

As for the Nazis, experiment may not be about direct comparison but it could help in understanding their motives.

They suspected no real harm?? The teachers were given a mild shock at the beginning of the experiment to see what it felt like. A reasonable person would realize that a large amount of high voltage electric shocks delivered at a high rate of frequency could at the *very least* harm another person--experiment or no experiment.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2015, 09:33 AM
RE: Very thought provoking sociology study
(21-05-2015 09:24 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(21-05-2015 09:15 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  If indeed that was the point then it is too small sample to draw conclusions even if we agree that in real situation these people would do the same.

About student not being in harm's way - I would say that words of authority figure would be sufficient considering that this was experiment. I think they all at least suspected that there will be no real harm and certainly not death.

As for the Nazis, experiment may not be about direct comparison but it could help in understanding their motives.

They suspected no real harm?? The teachers were given a mild shock at the beginning of the experiment to see what it felt like. A reasonable person would realize that a large amount of high voltage electric shocks delivered at a high rate of frequency could at the *very least* harm another person--experiment or no experiment.

Yes, it was experiment. It's not like they went to some mad scientist office, so they might have suspected some scam, as was the case in original experiment.

Here however it appears they believed in that they're harming "students".

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply